EHIC

Old Nov 29th 2020, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EHIC

Originally Posted by KJMW
First CEAM and EHIC are the same thing, just different issuing countries. As for it being valid in the UK. next year I simply have no idea. A quick phone call should clear it up. My view is that it will be as the EHIC is being touted as needed by Brits in the EU then then almost certainly a reciprocal arrangement will exist. As I have said I don't know for sure so it needs to be confirmed.
No mention of a reciprocal agreement on HMG websites, but going by the way in the first link below they make no mention at all of life after 31.12.20 as far as I can see, and in the second link they use weasel words like "most" and "may not" - they either don't know yet what will happen, or don't want to announce it yet.

For EU citizens/residents visiting the UK:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...isiting-the-uk
"There will be no changes to healthcare access for residents of the EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland who visit the UK before the end of 2020.You can continue to use your EHIC until the end of 2020 as you do now."

For UK residents visiting the EU:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-resid...and-healthcare

Visiting the EU from 1 January 2021

For most UK nationals, EHICs may not be valid from 1 January 2021.

Old Nov 29th 2020, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Haven't you had such a letter?
No.
I'm not in receipt of any pension or benefit or anything at all from the UK.
But I may have confused them by working back in the UK last year, hence why I was wondering if other Brits in France who aren't entitled to anything from the UK have had letters.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 10:58 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I'm just wondering whether they're sending a different letter to Brits living in the EU who don't happen to be UK state pensioners or benefit recipients, or has HMG washed its hands of us?
The letter I received is for U.K. nationals living in France. It doesn't appear to be aimed specifically at pensioners though the final paragraph states that the letter is a UK Government letter for Department for work and pensions! It shouldn't stop you applying for a new card, anyone can, providing you meet the criteria and of course being a pensioner isn't one of them!! In the letter they state specifically that from the 1.1.2021 a card is required.

With regards CEAM. If this was issued by the French then presumably it will be up to the French to notify anyone with duel nationality who has a French issue card to inform them they need a new one after 1.1.2021 Presumably this card would be valid in the U.K.

Last edited by KJMW; Nov 29th 2020 at 11:06 am.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 11:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

The letter I received is for U.K. nationals living in France. It doesn't appear to be aimed specifically at pensioners though the final paragraph states that the letter is a UK Government letter for Department for work and pensions! It shouldn't stop you applying for a new card, anyone can, providing you meet the criteria and of course being a pensioner isn't one of them!! In the letter they state specifically that from the 1.1.2021 a card is required.

With regards CEAM. If this was issued by the French then presumably it will be up to the French to notify anyone with duel nationality who has a French issue card to inform them they need a new one after 1.1.2021 Presumably this card would be valid in the U.K.
No, it's up to the individual to apply for a CEAM and renew it when needed. I haven't got one because I'm dual nationality, but because I'm affiliated with the French System. I'm hoping that, when I renew it next year, just before travelling within the EU, that it will also be valid for the UK.... (They are valid 2 years from the date of issue, so I'll leave my request to the last minute, rather like my SNCF Carte Sénior....).
Old Nov 29th 2020, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The only Brexit effect on CEAMs that I can see, is that unless there is an agreement, European Health Cards issued by EU member states won't be valid in the UK after Brexit. But they will continue to be valid throughout the EU after transition, and individual entitlement to a CEAM won't change after transition, so I don't see why Brits would need to replace their CEAMs before their expiry date.

Old Nov 29th 2020, 1:12 pm
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
No, it's up to the individual to apply for a CEAM and renew it when needed. I haven't got one because I'm dual nationality, but because I'm affiliated with the French System. I'm hoping that, when I renew it next year, just before travelling within the EU, that it will also be valid for the UK.... (They are valid 2 years from the date of issue, so I'll leave my request to the last minute, rather like my SNCF Carte Sénior....).
Perhaps I wasn't clear: The UK has notified those it thinks it should. It is still up to the individual to apply. I'm also affiliated to the French system so it is of no consequence regarding a card. The card is for other countries, not France.I meant that as you are duel nationality and living in France then it would be appropriate for the French to do as the UK has and notify you.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But if you have French nationality and live in France, I can't see how Brexit would affect you one way or t'other. Unless you work in the UK or something.

However, it's good that the UK has made an effort and done something, and hopefully its records are in order and it's not inviting people to apply for cards they're not eligible for, nor missing out invitations to any people who are eligible. And it's also good that this has been shared on the forum.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 1:46 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

The only Brexit effect on CEAMs that I can see, is that unless there is an agreement, European Health Cards issued by EU member states won't be valid in the UK after Brexit. But they will continue to be valid throughout the EU after transition, and individual entitlement to a CEAM won't change after transition, so I don't see why Brits would need to replace their CEAMs before their expiry date.
This is what I was hoping not to hear, and a glance at the Ameli site says "application of European Law up to 31st December 2020" after Royaume Uni in italics.
Of course all "CEAMs" of all EU countries will continue to be valid throughout the EU, it's only the UK which is leaving.
Britons in France entitled to a French CEAM can ask for, and renew, their Carte when they want, just like your average French person. In fact, I think that, if they tried to renew it well before the expiry date, the CPAM would tell them to wait until nearer the due date.
@KJMW Sorry, but there's no reason why the French CPAM would notify me of anything to do with the CEAM, it was a personal decision to have applied for one in the first place. Not all French people travel in and around Europe and those who don't (I can name at least 100 in my village alone) wouldn't need one. In fact my OH didn't have one at all when it was created, but by then he had stopped visiting my family in the UK, and later, it was an oversight on my part when we visited DD1 in Germany together.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 1:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But if you have French nationality and live in France, I can't see how Brexit would affect you one way or t'other. Unless you work in the UK or something.

However, it's good that the UK has made an effort and done something, and hopefully its records are in order and it's not inviting people to apply for cards they're not eligible for, nor missing out invitations to any people who are eligible. And it's also good that this has been shared on the forum.
It wouldn't, except for this pesky CEAM which probably won't be valid in the UK. I'll check my Credit Card travel insurance (if any), unless I'd be covered by the NH by dint of being a non-resident British citizen on holiday in the UK...
Sorry to have muddied the EHIC waters with my personal situation.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
It wouldn't, except for this pesky CEAM which probably won't be valid in the UK. I'll check my Credit Card travel insurance (if any), unless I'd be covered by the NH by dint of being a non-resident British citizen on holiday in the UK...
You are not entitled to NHS treatment in the UK because you are non-resident.
You would not be refused emergency care.
See post #6 above.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 3:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cyrian
You are not entitled to NHS treatment in the UK because you are non-resident.
You would not be refused emergency care.
See post #6 above.
Fair enough!
Old Nov 30th 2020, 5:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dmu
I feel sure that the CEAM card will be valid in the UK after transition. I can't possibly see the E.U. allowing treatment of UK nationals in the EU using the EHIC card without it being reciprocal, the E.U. just doesn't do that!! Why else would the UK be telling us to update our card for use in the E.U. after transition otherwise?
Old Nov 30th 2020, 6:52 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I feel sure that the CEAM card will be valid in the UK after transition. I can't possibly see the E.U. allowing treatment of UK nationals in the EU using the EHIC card without it being reciprocal, the E.U. just doesn't do that!! Why else would the UK be telling us to update our card for use in the E.U. after transition otherwise?
Because of the protections offered by the WA to those people for whom the UK has ongoing responsibility on health and welfare matters.

Those for whom the UK is not responsible (eg workers or people in receipt of pensions from their country of residence) get their EHIC from that country. As things stand, as of January, EU-issued EHICs will not be valid for use in the UK and the UK will not be issuing EHICs to UK citizens or residents in general. As far as the UK's concerned, Brexit puts an end to EHIC with the exception of some legacy responsibilites.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 7:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Because of the protections offered by the WA to those people for whom the UK has ongoing responsibility on health and welfare matters.

Those for whom the UK is not responsible (eg workers or people in receipt of pensions from their country of residence) get their EHIC from that country. As things stand, as of January, EU-issued EHICs will not be valid for use in the UK and the UK will not be issuing EHICs to UK citizens or residents in general. As far as the UK's concerned, Brexit puts an end to EHIC with the exception of some legacy responsibilites.
I think when it comes to what can be done or can't done be I think I will stick to what the official letter to me says rather than your view. Just to remind you it says 'the card will allow me me to continue to access health care in the E.U. from January 2021 Couldn't be clearer.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EU citizens living and working in the UK must be a bit pee'd off about the EHIC thing ,when you think about it.
By virtue of being covered by the UK social security system, they'll need to buy full health insurance when they travel in Europe, even when they go back to visit their own country.
That doesn't seem right although it's what will happen, apparently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.