British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   EHIC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/ehic-935885/)

KJMW Nov 28th 2020 8:27 am

EHIC

This may be of interest and even important!!!
I received a letter from U.K. Government reminding me to do certain things regarding being resident here in France. One of the items was to apply for a new EHIC health card. It actually stated that an application should be made for a new card to access health care in the E.U after 1.1.2021

I do have a card now but following the letter have applied for a new one. I have no idea, at this time, if my existing card would have done after January 1st. I have received an email stating that my application has been successful so shall have to wait and see if the card is in some way different.

cyrian Nov 28th 2020 9:13 am

Re: EHIC

This recent article from the BBC may help: BBC
Quote: "UK state pensioners living in the EU before the end of 2020 will be able to use their EHIC beyond 2020."

KJMW Nov 28th 2020 9:27 am

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 12940686)
This recent article from the BBC may help: BBC
Quote: "UK state pensioners living in the EU before the end of 2020 will be able to use their EHIC beyond 2020."

Yes it does say that on the BBC site. Reassuring! However I have applied for a new card as recommended by the official letter I received.

dmu Nov 28th 2020 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12940670)
This may be of interest and even important!!!
I received a letter from U.K. Government reminding me to do certain things regarding being resident here in France. One of the items was to apply for a new EHIC health card. It actually stated that an application should be made for a new card to access health care in the E.U after 1.1.2021

I do have a card now but following the letter have applied for a new one. I have no idea, at this time, if my existing card would have done after January 1st. I have received an email stating that my application has been successful so shall have to wait and see if the card is in some way different.

I've just re-read the letter which I've received from the British Embassy.
Just to clarify, the UK EHIC only applies to S1 form holders.
Those who have worked/are working in France and have contributed to the System, can ask their CPAM for the French equivalent (CEAM) when they travel within Europe. Will it be valid if travelling to the UK, I wonder?
P.S. A quick search showed that nothing has been decided yet but it's likely not to be valid, and travel insurance should be taken out.

G-J-B Nov 28th 2020 6:37 pm

As someone who has and continues to work in France I am affiliated with CPAM. I go to the UK so infrequently that I didn't even think about the repercussions, I figured being a British citizen would be enough should I ever need treatment over there. If not thankfully I have a wife who works in insurance, I think I'm probably already covered.

cyrian Nov 28th 2020 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by G-J-B (Post 12940805)
As someone who has and continues to work in France I am affiliated with CPAM. I go to the UK so infrequently that I didn't even think about the repercussions, I figured being a British citizen would be enough should I ever need treatment over there. If not thankfully I have a wife who works in insurance, I think I'm probably already covered.

If you go to a UK hospital they ask you for your GP's name and address at reception.
You may find that you are covered for travel insurance included in your French bank account.

KJMW Nov 29th 2020 4:13 am

Originally Posted by G-J-B (Post 12940805)

My circumstances are similar to yours. The point about the health card though is not that you need it in France, like you I'm covered with CPAM, but should you need medical treatment in another E.U. country; then you do need the card.

G-J-B Nov 29th 2020 6:58 am

Thanks Cyrian and KJMW. I believe I am covered by my bank, but will certainly check if I plan any visits. I recently went from RAM to CPAM when they merged RAM with URSSAF, I haven't heard of CEAM before now - I always try to avoid doctor's and hospitals when I can. :) Will look into it, it's important to look at the small print. When my father came over one time, he had to go to hospital by ambulance. He had the E111 (if I remember the name correctly?), but it didn't cover ambulances, so once he returned to the UK I kept getting the bill under his name for well over 1,000 euros. Not sure what would have happened if that wasn't paid, but thankfully he did have private insurance that covered the bill.

dmu Nov 29th 2020 7:40 am

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12940898)
My circumstances are similar to yours. The point about the health card though is not that you need it in France, like you I'm covered with CPAM, but should you need medical treatment in another E.U. country; then you do need the card.

That's the point of the CEAM, for EU-citizens/residents travelling within the EU. But my question was, will the CEAM be valid in the UK next year or will I need private travel insurance if and when I manage to visit family again.... Mine has in fact just expired, after two years. I hadn't bothered to check it this year, since I didn't travel anywhere, for obvious reasons...
@G-J-B I, too had to pay my Aunt's ambulances when she broke her leg whilst holidaying here. She only had the E111 (I think) and didn't have additional insurance. This was last century and I have an idea that I paid them directly, and was quite cross when the NH wasn't forthcoming with a reimbursement.

G-J-B Nov 29th 2020 8:47 am

@DMU It's easy to miss the small print regarding ambulance travel, I guess most people just assumed the E111 would help them in all situations. If we had refused to pay I'm not sure what would have happened, as we had given them my father's name and address in the UK. I also wonder if we'd called the pompiers instead, whether the travel would have been free, or at least much reduced. I'm curious too, if CEAM would have similar caveats in other countries (e.g. ambulance travel). I will also have to consult my bank's travel insurance in detail.

KJMW Nov 29th 2020 8:51 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12940924)
That's the point of the CEAM, for EU-citizens/residents travelling within the EU. But my question was, will the CEAM be valid in the UK next year or will I need private travel insurance if and when I manage to visit family again.... Mine has in fact just expired, after two years. I hadn't bothered to check it this year, since I didn't travel anywhere, for obvious reasons...
@G-J-B I, too had to pay my Aunt's ambulances when she broke her leg whilst holidaying here. She only had the E111 (I think) and didn't have additional insurance. This was last century and I have an idea that I paid them directly, and was quite cross when the NH wasn't forthcoming with a reimbursement.

First CEAM and EHIC are the same thing, just different issuing countries. As for it being valid in the UK. next year I simply have no idea. A quick phone call should clear it up. My view is that it will be as the EHIC is being touted as needed by Brits in the EU then then almost certainly a reciprocal arrangement will exist. As I have said I don't know for sure so it needs to be confirmed.

graham.miln Nov 29th 2020 9:01 am

For those wondering, the letter from the UK government is described at Government writes to British people in Europe before transition period ends:

The letters offer advice to more than 350,000 British people living in EU and EFTA countries on actions they must take by 31 December 2020.

The letters, sent to UK state pensioners and benefit recipients, give advice on how to register for residency and healthcare, exchange driving licences and check new passport validity rules online. It is one of the largest-ever mail outs by the government to UK nationals living in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

EuroTrash Nov 29th 2020 9:27 am

Originally Posted by graham.miln (Post 12940950)
The letters, sent to UK state pensioners and benefit recipients, give advice on how to register for residency and healthcare, exchange driving licences and check new passport validity rules online.

I'm just wondering whether they're sending a different letter to Brits living in the EU who don't happen to be UK state pensioners or benefit recipients, or has HMG washed its hands of us?

dmu Nov 29th 2020 9:27 am

Originally Posted by G-J-B (Post 12940944)
@DMU It's easy to miss the small print regarding ambulance travel, I guess most people just assumed the E111 would help them in all situations. If we had refused to pay I'm not sure what would have happened, as we had given them my father's name and address in the UK. I also wonder if we'd called the pompiers instead, whether the travel would have been free, or at least much reduced. I'm curious too, if CEAM would have similar caveats in other countries (e.g. ambulance travel). I will also have to consult my bank's travel insurance in detail.

We hadn't lived in our rural area long enough to know that les Pompiers (18) should be the first emergency service to call (OH, previously being a town-dweller, had no idea), and, being a Sunday, we called the 15 (SAMU) which is apparently centred in Montpellier, and they sent a local Ambulance to collect my Aunt. Another local Ambulance brought her home, and the same one drove her to the Airport. (65 km away....).
As an aside and not quite off-topic, she was lucky at our local Clinique, as the Anaesthetist (sp?) and Radiologist were Canadian, but she had problems communicating with the other doctors and nurses, not to mention the carers and dinner ladies, and I couldn't be with her 24/24 to interpret....

dmu Nov 29th 2020 9:30 am

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 12940956)
I'm just wondering whether they're sending a different letter to Brits living in the EU who don't happen to be UK state pensioners or benefit recipients, or has HMG washed its hands of us?

Haven't you had such a letter?
I'm in receipt of a tiny pro-rata UK Pension, so the DWP knows of my existence, but not my dual nationality status.