Wikiposts

EDF

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EDF

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I took it to mean, keep the hot water heater ballon switched on all the time - not have the heating on 24/7! I've seen long threads proving that it's cheaper to leave the ballon switched on all the time so that it keeps the heat in the water topped up constantly, rather than switch it off, wait until the water runs cold, then switch it back on and heat the water up from scratch. I've no doubt the science is correct, but I've tried it both ways and mine seems to work out cheaper if I heat the water up (five and a half hours cold to hot), switch the ballon off until it runs cold - it usually lasts 3 days - and then switch the ballon on for another five and a half hours. So that's what I do.

we have halved our oil bill by doing just that.. in the summer we only heat the ballon for 45 mins max a day; in winter heating goes on around 6pm which heats the water: it goes off around 11PM,,, bit parky in the morning but I find it gets the kids up more quickly!!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:45 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bjgironde
Hi,

If you press the lower of the two blue buttons (it is labeled 'Defilement') once it will display the meter reading for either 'Plein' (daytime tariff) or 'Creuse' night time tariff, (it should say which it is in the display) these are the meter readings you need.
Tried this and it worked thanks
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

ddarlow is an unknown quantity at this point

I am desperately trying to find someone at EDF who speaks English, and can answer the problems we are currently having with our meter in the Vendée. I have now been given 4 different numbers by EDF operators for their English-speaking service and none of them are, in fact, English-speaking. I've also heard a rumour that EDF have closed this service due to lack of use. Can anyone help?

Also, I've been given an email address <[email protected]>. Does anyone know if this works?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

bjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to behold

HI,

The email address you have is the same as the one EDF gave me recently when I too had problems, I do not know if they will respond to English.

The 'English speaking' numbers I had, also ended up being transferred to the normal French EDF service. So, I simply asked my French neighbour to call them for me with the problem and she soon sorted them out and was happy to do so. Might this be a soulution for you too?.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 12:19 am
Just Joined

ddarlow is an unknown quantity at this point

Problem is, I'm now in London and will be for some months. Also, I feel rather guilty about involving neighbours again. Meantime my electricity bill for my maison secondaire (occupied for only 13 weeks a year, and mainly in the summer) is a staggering €2800!

I emailed that address, asking if they spoke English, and received an acknowledgement in good English, so I'm a little bit more hopeful.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

bjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to beholdbjgironde is a splendid one to behold

That sounds hopeful then, perhaps at the bottom of your email you could ask if they have an English speaking helpline and post it on here if it exists.

Good luck
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddarlow
Problem is, I'm now in London and will be for some months. Also, I feel rather guilty about involving neighbours again. Meantime my electricity bill for my maison secondaire (occupied for only 13 weeks a year, and mainly in the summer) is a staggering €2800!

I emailed that address, asking if they spoke English, and received an acknowledgement in good English, so I'm a little bit more hopeful.
Next time you are in France switch everything off and see if any electricity is being used. There could be lots of reasons why your bill is so high.
It could be a faulty meter; there could be a circuit fault; someone else might be using electricity from your meter; there could be something switched on - like a water heater heater - that you are not aware of.
If there is a fault then it would be worth your while to get it fixed.
Alternatively, take a meter reading next time you leave and check it when you arrive next visit.
You could get your hot water wired to come on overnight on off-peak.
Our meter switches automatically to the "heures creuze" tariff.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:59 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Next time you are in France switch everything off and see if any electricity is being used. There could be lots of reasons why your bill is so high.
It could be a faulty meter; there could be a circuit fault; someone else might be using electricity from your meter; there could be something switched on - like a water heater heater - that you are not aware of.
If there is a fault then it would be worth your while to get it fixed.
Alternatively, take a meter reading next time you leave and check it when you arrive next visit.
You could get your hot water wired to come on overnight on off-peak.
Our meter switches automatically to the "heures creuze" tariff.
A little off topic but our new house was on three phase when we moved in, although badly wired for it in the 50's. As we had the house rewired we decided to get a single phase meter stuck in as balancing the phase's was a nightmare for domestic usage. 6 phone conversations and 3 visits we managed to get the meter changed. Edf don't have the best customer focus but perseverance will eventually get you someone that knows what they are talking about and does what their say they will.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

This english speaking line is always great, they always speak english, and are very helpful 05 62 16 49 08.
Our friends are renting a place locally and wondered why their bills were so steep. They realised that the adjoining house ( which was being refurbished) was using their electricity! They noted the electricity meter whizzing round when the builders used a power drill. They also noted a spare key for their place being used to allow the builders to come in, whilst they were out. This was a rented place mind you.
Also, we have been on the wrong package for our electricity. Having electric radiators and underfloor heating, our relocation agent had just put us on to a basic package, which wasn't the most efficient for our needs.