Eau de Javel

Old Jul 15th 2019, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

flynnboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eau de Javel

Can anyone tell me if you use Eau de Javel neat or do you dilute it with water ?

Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2019, 5:42 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eau de Javel

Originally Posted by flynnboy
Can anyone tell me if you use Eau de Javel neat or do you dilute it with water ?

Thanks
It depends on what packaging it comes in.
The 2-litre plastic bottle can apparently be used as such, but the sausage-shaped refills, '"berlingots", are highly concentrated and must be diluted. You have to be careful when transferring into a bottle, to avoid burning your skin or making holes in clothes.
Personally I only use it occasionally to get stains out of white material, but never for the loo as, like antibiotics evacuated in your pee, it counteracts the activity of septic tanks.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

What are you using it for, exactly?
Old Jul 15th 2019, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Few good links HERE to tell most there is to know.
And HERE.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

flynnboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
What are you using it for, exactly?
I actually use it for our pool and buy it in 20 ltr Bidons, since I have it I was wanting to use it for cleaning stuff in general, but wondered if I need to dilute it ? Obviously I do not want to use it for anything related to a fosse septic ! I do have a modicum of savoir faire !
Old Jul 16th 2019, 6:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I actually use it for our pool and buy it in 20 ltr Bidons, since I have it I was wanting to use it for cleaning stuff in general, but wondered if I need to dilute it ? Obviously I do not want to use it for anything related to a fosse septic ! I do have a modicum of savoir faire !
Many expats in France are unaware of the problems of fosses septiques and you hadn't indicated what you needed the Javel for....
It would appear that bleach for domestic use isn't suitable for swimming pools, as per the first result of a google search:
https://www.guide-piscine.fr/produit...piscine-2743_A
Whatever, your 20 l bidons (intended for professional domestic cleaners or specifically for pools?) will either indicate that it is to be diluted or, if nothing is mentioned, can be used as such.
HTH
Old Jul 16th 2019, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it wasn't obvious at all that it wasn't intended for a fosse septic, and that was my initial thought too along with DMU's.
Many do use it in excess for WC-fed septic tanks - incorrecly of course, but nobody here would openly suggest that you were lacking in savoir-faire, without knowing you of course.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 9:47 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Many expats in France are unaware of the problems of fosses septiques and you hadn't indicated what you needed the Javel for....
It would appear that bleach for domestic use isn't suitable for swimming pools, as per the first result of a google search:
https://www.guide-piscine.fr/produit...piscine-2743_A
Whatever, your 20 l bidons (intended for professional domestic cleaners or specifically for pools?) will either indicate that it is to be diluted or, if nothing is mentioned, can be used as such.
HTH
bleach is absolutely ok for pools. I've been doing it for years and is actually better for the pool water/environment than putting in chemicals in excess of what you need, then using more chemicals to sort out the issues that this causes. And OF COURSE, the pool companies don't advise it..... they'd lose a fortune if everyone cottoned on to this one.
OP maybe go to troublefreepool.com for the best available assistance with this. The geeks there will be able to help you make sure that you dose appropriately.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

notgrampa is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree that javel is OK for use in a pool environment and you will get good info from "troublefreepool".
You can invest in an inexpensive doseur for the javel, Astral make one which will microdose the pool as required. I also use chlorine gallets occasionally as they contain a stabaliser to help with the evaporation of the chlorine molecules.
To reduce the pH into the range required then any Brico will sell hydrochloric acid in 5 litre containers.
I usually buy javel in 5 litre containers and top up the 20 litre container used by the microdoser as the stock in our local Brico of the 20 litre containers is liable to be old and hence less percentage of active ingredients.
The link on the "guidepiscine" website is typical of pool supply companies trying to get you to buy their expensive solutions !
Old Jul 16th 2019, 4:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I buy gallon jugs of household bleach in the usa. Luckily for me, the date of manufacture is noted on the container so I can make sure that I buy the freshest bleach available which will have the least amount of degradation of the sodium hypochlorite - the active ingredient. The % of hypochlorite is also listed on the container - you can then go to PoolMath and work out how much to put into your pool to reach the required dosage. I have a 26K gallon pool and throw in .5 gallon in the evening each day to maintain adequate chlorine levels. More if kids have been in there....
I buy the cya granules at the beginning of the pool season and dose as needed, I buy the hydrochloric acid in gallon jugs and dose as needed throughout the season.
I've been thinking about buying a microdoser, they are quite expensive here though. How are you finding it notgrampa?
Old Jul 16th 2019, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

notgrampa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi petitefrancaise,
I have only had the doser on my pool for about 3 yrs, so long term I dont know.
The one I have is a an Astral doser up to 100 cu m pools so would be OK for your pool, they retail here in France for around €260.
Findings so far - need to recalibrate the sensor every 3 months or so, but its an easy job takes about 2 mins and also the non-return valve used on the feed side tends to "crud" up a bit and needs cleaning at the same time as the recalibration of the sensor. Other than that its OK, so I bought another one for my other pool (we have rental units).