Eating out

Old May 17th 2020, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

May contain nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eating out

This seems a long way off right now - but here's something for everyone that might be of use when the restrictions are lifted.
I noticed several years ago that pre-prepared meals were making creeping inroads into restaurants in France. I thought that France would be one country that would resist this - but no. And sad to report, one of the main commercial suppliers is an English company.
Without going into the politics of why and how this situation has arisen, suffice to say that several of our old favourites have abandoned the traditional skills and have converted to reheating bought-in meals (via the oven or microwave). If you come across a restaurant with a great number of entrées and main courses, that should start to ring the alarm bells..
A year or two ago, I started an interactive map that shows restaurants that still serve meals cooked 'from scratch' in the old traditional way.. And yes, many are in the south west but there are a few gems that I've included elsewhere in France. I made the map strictly on a non-commercial basis - it's completely free and I naturally have no connection in any way with any of the establishments - other than as a satisfied customer.
The location of each and every restaurant is accurate - so if you select "satellite" and zoom right in using the +/- buttons, you can see exactly where each one is. You can access each entry via the list on the right or by clicking on the markers on the map. When the entry comes up, you can enlarge the photo by clicking on it. Drag and drop the map to move the point of interest around..
PM me if you have any questions or suggestions..
Have fun!
Mcn

PS The details of each were as found at the time of the visit - but things can change.. new ownership, new chef etc.

PPS I should give ZeeMaps a big thank you here. They normally start charging for their maps once the number of hits exceeds 100.. but as my map is a 'non-commercial public service' they were kind enough to waive the charge.

Last edited by May contain nuts; May 17th 2020 at 10:08 am.
Old May 30th 2020, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Eating out

Am I the only one here looking forward to the restaurants opening up again next week?
We have a major marital milestone looming and we'll be looking for a restaurant with a terrace.
Old May 30th 2020, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

We rarely eat out as we both enjoy cooking and saving money, but I've got a birthday coming up so we'll eat out for that. In fact it's more the odd coffee and a beer/wine/ pastis on a hot day in the main square in the shade of the trees that I miss more.
Old May 30th 2020, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by May contain nuts
Am I the only one here looking forward to the restaurants opening up again next week?
We have a major marital milestone looming and we'll be looking for a restaurant with a terrace.
No, I'm sure you're not the only one looking forward to the restaurants opening up again.
We have a particular favourite in Toulouse and although it sounds rather boring and undramatic, their speciality is........ steak & french fries!
It's the only restaurant I know in the city that has a long queue forming outside even before the restaurant opens, every day - at midday and again each evening. So the locals certainly know when they're onto a good thing.
We usually eat there twice or 3-times a year, and when our son flies in he always insists on taking us there. Ate there last at the beginning of the year, so no plan to rush back as soon as it opens again, but good to know it's there when we need it.
Had the first memorable meal there in '69 and it hasn't changed a bit, although fortunately the steak looks a lot fresher than one of the waitresses still there........ and she probably thinks the same about me too.

With ref to your blog again, I caught sight of the Gilbert Becaud song you mentioned, which has always been popular. But even preferable is the Le Luron version entitled, 'L'emmerdant c'est la rose', which is/was a risky (for the time) parody of Mitterrand becoming president. For those who don't know it and want a giggle, type into YTube: Thierry Le Luron 'L'emmerdant c'est la rose Archive INA.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; May 30th 2020 at 10:01 pm.
Old May 31st 2020, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

We keep meaning to go to Toulouse - the only problem is it's a bit far for us for an aller/retour in the same day.
Not knowing Toulouse at all, I'd appreciate the name of your restaurant there.. Always good to have a banker!
Just the other side of Toulouse is La Dinée.. it's one of only two privately-owned restaurants in the autoroute system. I heard about by word of mouth.. Highly recommended. (you'll find more on it in my restaurant map)
I'll have a look at the YT version you mention..
Old Jun 5th 2020, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by May contain nuts
We keep meaning to go to Toulouse - the only problem is it's a bit far for us for an aller/retour in the same day.
Not knowing Toulouse at all, I'd appreciate the name of your restaurant there.. Always good to have a banker!
Just the other side of Toulouse is La Dinée.. it's one of only two privately-owned restaurants in the autoroute system. I heard about by word of mouth.. Highly recommended. (you'll find more on it in my restaurant map)
I'll have a look at the YT version you mention..
The restaurant referred to is L'Entrecote on Blvd de Strasbourg. Recommend arriving 10-15mins before opening to ensure a place as they don't accept bookings.
Another favourite of ours is one of the restaurants above the adjacent Victor Hugo market (a must visit to savour the great atmosphere + an aperitif) before heading upstairs - there's a prize for finding the upstairs entrance without being told....... There are several typical 'bistro' type restaurants upstairs, with our favourite being Au Bon Graillou. All food is super-fresh taken the same morning from the market place down below. Again, it's well known by the locals so don't arrive too much later than 12:05 to ensure finding a table.
I've bookmarked your recommended restaurant at Port Lauragais. Thank you. Unfortunately it's well over 1hr from chez-nous on the 'wrong' side of TLS.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jun 5th 2020 at 12:43 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for those two tips Tp - duly noted!