Earth Day

Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:29 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Earth Day

http://www.earthhour.org/home/

You doing your bit?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:48 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earth Day

We will certainly be doing an hour's worth of our bit tonight at 8.30 - be nice to have a few candles dotted about - just must remember to put them out as my history with fire is dead dubious to say the least
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:54 am
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

Nah.....global warming IMO has very little to do with mankind
What especially worries me is that if anyone dares to question the dogma of the global warming doomsters who repeatedly tell us that C not only stands for carbon but for climate catastrophe, we are immediately vilified as heretics or worse as deniers.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Can we wait until the Lithuanie/France football match is over?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:58 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:01 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Le Chant

You doing your bit?
If I switched my lights off,nobody would notice
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:07 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by london52
Nah.....global warming IMO has very little to do with mankind
What especially worries me is that if anyone dares to question the dogma of the global warming doomsters who repeatedly tell us that C not only stands for carbon but for climate catastrophe, we are immediately vilified as heretics or worse as deniers.
I'm a heretic!!!

What are these idiots up to???:curse: An hour's turn off, of lights, will waste more energy than it saves.

1. The electricity, to power the turned-off lights, will still be being produced: oil, gas, coal, nuclear etc.

2. This produced energy cannot be store, therefore it will be wasted.

3. Re-ignition of the lights, of itself, will waste an inordinate amount of energy.

It is also interesting to note that most high profile climate warriors are politicians.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:32 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomarense
I'm a heretic!!!

What are these idiots up to???:curse: An hour's turn off, of lights, will waste more energy than it saves.

1. The electricity, to power the turned-off lights, will still be being produced: oil, gas, coal, nuclear etc.

2. This produced energy cannot be store, therefore it will be wasted.

3. Re-ignition of the lights, of itself, will waste an inordinate amount of energy.

It is also interesting to note that most high profile climate warriors are politicians.
Of course the power will still be generated, but if it's not used then it's diverted, or stored.

Yes, electricity can be stored.

Re-ignition of lights etc. costs you no electrical 'power'. It's simply a switch that opens/closes an electricl circuit to allow your light to come on. So, there's NO wastage of an inordinate amount of energy, unless you're talking of the soak on the grid as everyone switches their lights back on again?

It's interesting only in that they're the ones that are in power and are lobbied to try and force changes to be made by lesser known activists. though, no less 'powerful' in their own chosen fields.

To state my own beliefs, I don't think that mankind can be blamed for climate change, but I do think that man contributes far more to it than he needs to. Witness core samples taken from the Arctic and Antarctic ice fields which show (pretty much like rings in a tree trunk) the rate at which the ice 'grows'. Since the dawn of the Industrial Age, the ice has been shrinking exponentially. Now, it could just be coincidental, and that man's contribution to climate change comes at the top (or bottom) of the cycle?

I think that 'Earth Day' is all about forcing us to think individually about our own personal contributions to 'climate change'. If my posting of the link here has done that, then that's good. There'll always be those who think it's all about scoring political points, just as (thankfully) there'll always be those who question beyond the political agendas.

Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:53 pm
Knight Templar

tomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant futuretomarense has a brilliant future

Of course the power will still be generated, but if it's not used then it's diverted, or stored.

Yes, electricity can be stored.

Re-ignition of lights etc. costs you no electrical 'power'. It's simply a switch that opens/closes an electricl circuit to allow your light to come on. So, there's NO wastage of an inordinate amount of energy, unless you're talking of the soak on the grid as everyone switches their lights back on again?

It's interesting only in that they're the ones that are in power and are lobbied to try and force changes to be made by lesser known activists. though, no less 'powerful' in their own chosen fields.

To state my own beliefs, I don't think that mankind can be blamed for climate change, but I do think that man contributes far more to it than he needs to. Witness core samples taken from the Arctic and Antarctic ice fields which show (pretty much like rings in a tree trunk) the rate at which the ice 'grows'. Since the dawn of the Industrial Age, the ice has been shrinking exponentially. Now, it could just be coincidental, and that man's contribution to climate change comes at the top (or bottom) of the cycle?

I think that 'Earth Day' is all about forcing us to think individually about our own personal contributions to 'climate change'. If my posting of the link here has done that, then that's good. There'll always be those who think it's all about scoring political points, just as (thankfully) there'll always be those who question beyond the political agendas.

Hi Le Chant,

Sorry to take issue, but you do make some amazing assertions.

1. The generated power will be diverted or stored............diverted where, to what?
Store where and, in what medium? There is not sufficient storage for for the production of capacity of Loch Awe Hydro!!! Where is the storage capacity for, a minimum of, 1 000 000 000KWh of electricity?

2. Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" is a lie, based on using selective "ice-core sample" data. We are actually in a period of cooling, as is proven by ice-core samples, re: CO2 concentrations - all HIGH CO2 ice-core concentrations have indicated a warm, interglacial period; period, like now, of high air CO2 concentrations indicate "core release" (seas, ice caps) and suggest a cooling period.

On human responsibility to the planet, I agree, but the physical aspects of the planet are not restricted to its geology. If we were to show more respect for the animal and plant life of our planet, we would be more inclined to take care of the house.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by tomarense
Hi Le Chant,

Sorry to take issue, but you do make some amazing assertions.

1. The generated power will be diverted or stored............diverted where, to what?
Store where and, in what medium? There is not sufficient storage for for the production of capacity of Loch Awe Hydro!!! Where is the storage capacity for, a minimum of, 1 000 000 000KWh of electricity?

2. Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" is a lie, based on using selective "ice-core sample" data. We are actually in a period of cooling, as is proven by ice-core samples, re: CO2 concentrations - all HIGH CO2 ice-core concentrations have indicated a warm, interglacial period; period, like now, of high air CO2 concentrations indicate "core release" (seas, ice caps) and suggest a cooling period.

On human responsibility to the planet, I agree, but the physical aspects of the planet are not restricted to its geology. If we were to show more respect for the animal and plant life of our planet, we would be more inclined to take care of the house.
No problems at all. It's very difficult, but not impossible to 'store' electricity. It's not done in general terms, as the need dictates the demand, as it were. that's exactly the point that this 'earth hour' is trying to get across. Power stations feed a demand. If that demand wasn't there, even for just an hour, how much non-renewable energy could be saved? If it's not needed, it's not produced. If it's not produced, then there's no fuel being used.
If it's not being used by you, then the leccy just 'passes on' to the next 'user' surely?

UK Government Paper on Storing Electricity

I have no problems with you using Al Gore as an example. The man's an arsehole. But, that said, these core samples don't 'lie' per se, but much depends upon the interpretation of what they're telling us. There's no doubt whatsoever that the ice is shrinking, and that it's shrunk much faster since manking developed his factories, power stations etc. That's undisputed science.

Woods Hole Research

That this is a period of warming, or cooling isn't really relevant as such, as there are varying degrees of warm & cold. That this may be an ice age could well be true, it's just that it isn't going to cause any real concern as it's a 'warmer' ice age than has happened previously. The onset of industrialisation, as well as huge colonisation, burning fossil fuels on hearths over the past centuries can only have contributed to keeping the ice at bay. The combined mass of heat generated in cities, just by the close proximity of millions of people raises the temperature there by several degrees. It's called an 'urban heat island'. There are more questions raised than there answers from climate science. I think it'll be a while before we're any closer to taking control of the climate. I don't have any answers except to say that we've all got a duty to at least think about what we're doing to the planet, so's it'll still be here for generations to come.

I agree entirely with your final paragraph. One thing that's struck me about life here in our bit of France is how well things like drainage dykes and hedgrerows are maintained. Both these small things ensure better drainage, less floods. Rural areas don't have the massive great industry parks with inadequate drainage into too small a waterway. Thousands of gallons of rainwater collected from acres of roofing soon overspills the local streams and drainage which in turn costs the environment dearly. Then it costs the economy dearly too.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:47 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute

You doing your bit?
Not me, I believe in recycling, not wasting resources ad managing the environment (by not building on flood plains for one thing), but I don't think the GW or Climate Change agenda are of any value (I'm talking about carbon permits, reducing CO2 emissions etc)
Old Mar 28th 2009, 6:28 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ewood
Not me, I believe in recycling, not wasting resources ad managing the environment (by not building on flood plains for one thing), but I don't think the GW or Climate Change agenda are of any value (I'm talking about carbon permits, reducing CO2 emissions etc)
Cool,I don't have to switch me 'puter off tonight then?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 6:39 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
Cool,I don't have to switch me 'puter off tonight then?
Apparently the hot air he blows is the greatest danger to the survival of the planet.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 6:56 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treskillard
Apparently the hot air he blows is the greatest danger to the survival of the planet.
nearly, I'm second only to tres' production of methane!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 6:57 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ewood
nearly, I'm second only to tres' production of methane!
I fart in your general direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.