Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Dual nationality

Dual nationality

Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality

I have no problem, obviously, with you expressing your personal opinion. The fact that I think you're sometimes rude is simply a matter of opinion, too.

But you make your comments with the word "Moderator" loudly displayed beside your avatar. That makes me associate your comments with an official line, just as some of your advice on this thread is clearly posted as a staff member. The conflict of interest does a disservice to BF - one which might easily be avoided if you were to have a second account under a different name. (Whilst this is probably forbidden, I'm sure that staff privilege would permit an exception to be made.)
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsbach
I have to say that the French forum has changed over the last few years - and changed for the worse in my opinion. Acerbic comments from mods are surely not a good way to encourage members to remain and newbies to join.
I started an extensive thread some years back which exemplified the best of the forum. Advice was good and plentiful but so was supportive comment (and occasional digression). If it's true that mods now only want factual exchanges, the humanity of this community is lessened.
JSB, I have to say that I can't really agree with your first statement - unless of course you were referring to many of my foolish posts, in which case I should probably plead, "Guilty as charged."
I've been a member here since 2007, and not surprisingly in that timescale have seen good and not so good posts. In particular from one member who joined in the 1st quarter of this year. That person appeared reasonably knowledgeable, but had a bad, frequent habit of making sweeping claims (without justification) which imho is particularly annoying, and can be very misleading to those coming here looking for substantiated facts. Fortunately that particular individual (after having feathers ruffled a little), appears to have departed not too well-tempered - certainly unlike your own clavier, I have no doubt....
Regarding comments from Moderators, I'd have to say that it must be a somewhat difficult, unrewarding task, and one which I wouldn't like to take on myself. Perhaps they too have the occasional bad day, but heh - don't we all?
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I think you have a misconception as to what the function of a moderator is.

First and foremost a mod is also a member, probably was for some years before he/she became a mod, continues to be so while moderating and will likely remain so after giving up that duty.

A mod is not responsible for promoting BE, members do that by posting interesting information (as was the case in the thread you mentioned) which then gets referenced by Google and the like, which may ultimately bring new members into the community.

What a mod is responsible for is applying the site rules on the forums he/she moderates - most of this work goes unnoticed by members but some mods spend much of their time simply removing stuff which break the rules (mainly spam by new members). When they are noticed is if they moderate older members who overstep the mark. No one likes such a situation but it happens sometimes.

For my part I don't, and can't, moderate the French forum but I can as a simple member be ascerbic, if I so choose. If a member has a spat with another and wants to take away his ball and bat, then that's fine. It's actually better than having a long running feud between certain members, something which has happened in the past.

Personally, I like the French forum. Members have a profound knowledge, are very open and don't take themselves too seriously, which is great for a forum. Maybe like good wine, there have been some memorable vintages but I'm sure there are even better to come!
Well said sir.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Guys you are breaking rule n°15.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have a misconception as to what the function of a moderator is.

First and foremost a mod is also a member, probably was for some years before he/she became a mod, continues to be so while moderating and will likely remain so after giving up that duty.

A mod is not responsible for promoting BE, members do that by posting interesting information (as was the case in the thread you mentioned) which then gets referenced by Google and the like, which may ultimately bring new members into the community.

What a mod is responsible for is applying the site rules on the forums he/she moderates - most of this work goes unnoticed by members but some mods spend much of their time simply removing stuff which break the rules (mainly spam by new members). When they are noticed is if they moderate older members who overstep the mark. No one likes such a situation but it happens sometimes.

For my part I don't, and can't, moderate the French forum but I can as a simple member be ascerbic, if I so choose. If a member has a spat with another and wants to take away his ball and bat, then that's fine. It's actually better than having a long running feud between certain members, something which has happened in the past.

Personally, I like the French forum. Members have a profound knowledge, are very open and don't take themselves too seriously, which is great for a forum. Maybe like good wine, there have been some memorable vintages but I'm sure there are even better to come!
Well well well. What will happen next if the moderator himself breaks the rules?
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:58 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyposer
Well well well. What will happen next if the moderator himself breaks the rules?
Flagellation of course! There have to be some perks to the job
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
JSB, I have to say that I can't really agree with your first statement - unless of course you were referring to many of my foolish posts, in which case I should probably plead, "Guilty as charged."
I've been a member here since 2007, and not surprisingly in that timescale have seen good and not so good posts. In particular from one member who joined in the 1st quarter of this year. That person appeared reasonably knowledgeable, but had a bad, frequent habit of making sweeping claims (without justification) which imho is particularly annoying, and can be very misleading to those coming here looking for substantiated facts. Fortunately that particular individual (after having feathers ruffled a little), appears to have departed not too well-tempered - certainly unlike your own clavier, I have no doubt....
Regarding comments from Moderators, I'd have to say that it must be a somewhat difficult, unrewarding task, and one which I wouldn't like to take on myself. Perhaps they too have the occasional bad day, but heh - don't we all?
What's their username? Give us a clue
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

I stand for freedom of speech though.

'Rude' is very subjective after all.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Please accept my candidature for moderator.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Nov 11th 2015 at 4:19 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be a party pooper but I think that if you're flagged as a mod, you have to be aware that you're in a sense an ambassador.
In the past I was a mod on a different forum. I felt it cramped my style no end and I stopped enjoying that forum (plus for some reason one particular member was out to get me, via pms and on the forum, and generally made things difficult for me).
I wouldn't be a mod again (not that I would be asked!).
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

But that may be breaking Rule 2
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

You have nothing to fear. I note you joined last year.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:34 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Sorry to be a party pooper but I think that if you're flagged as a mod, you have to be aware that you're in a sense an ambassador.
In the past I was a mod on a different forum. I felt it cramped my style no end and I stopped enjoying that forum (plus for some reason one particular member was out to get me, via pms and on the forum, and generally made things difficult for me).
I wouldn't be a mod again (not that I would be asked!).
It's not in the job description and I'm not sure too many people would be very keen to do it if it were, for the very same reasons that you give. Besides I think Ambassadors get paid, don't they?
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Time to put this thread to bed methinks.

Anyone who has a problem with a moderator should either take it up with said person via PM...or contact BEVS. All mod's answer to BEVS...she it our Site Lead.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 4:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Y'know what.

I have only just come across this but thanks to JG for closing the thread.

Yes. If anyone wanted to have a moan it needs to come direct via PM.

So. Balding_Potter. I have finally worked out that your email is you and have now responded. It may have helped if you had actually stated what you were all about in your email.

Babyposer. You have being misleading in what was written to you. I will fix for you.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 18th 2015 at 9:17 pm.