Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

dual citizenship

dual citizenship

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:34 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: dual citizenship

Thank you karunia and JAJ. I was a bit subjective in my post, there are benefits to some indeed.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:03 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karunia
One of the few advantages with dual citizenship is that you can vote in the general elections of both countries.
Plus, if you are living in France, there are certain jobs that are open only to French citizens. I am not sure if is the same in the UK.
Some British immigrants in France are now considering applying for French citizenship as a way to entitlement to healthcare. It is not clear yet, whether this is a definite way in.
You cant vote in the Bi Elections if your overseas. Only the General Election.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:15 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bluedaisymoon
hello!

i'm struggling to find out info about getting dual citizenship.I have been living in france for 16 years,nearly my whole life.I would like to obtain french nationality but do not wish to lose my english nationality.I wondered if anyone here had been in a similar situation?
Does english law allow their citizens to obtain a different nationality without losing british citizenship?
From what i've understood so far,having adressed myself to the "sous-préfecture" of my town,i have to do a demand of french nationality and then check with the british consulat that i will keep my british nationality.Have i got that right?
If someone had anything to help me out!
Thanx
Hiya bluedaisy,

My mom became French about 10yrs ago (she's married to my dad who's French and has been living in France for over 30years) and had no problems at all...although she is not British but American. You'll be able to keep your UK passport and have a French one (as well as a French ID card).

There was just a lot of paperwork involved (as mentioned above) and she had to go to an interview at the local Prefecture, just to make sure she could speak French and had been accustomed to the French way of living (after living there since 1974, surely she should be able to ). It lasted 5 mins in total and she was able to get citizenship

Wishing you the best of luck!

Jen
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

FTBEver is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the answer is easy: you are not French and will never be. So, don't ask stupid question and go back to your country.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:40 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FTBEver
Well, the answer is easy: you are not French and will never be. So, don't ask stupid question and go back to your country.
you are British - I can tell!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:44 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by treskillard
you are British - I can tell!

I was just thinking that,its very british
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the way to introduce yourself to the forum?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Is this the way to introduce yourself to the forum?
He just read"How to win freinds and influence people"
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:01 am
Just Joined

sallyyann is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I`m english and will soon be marrying a french man...how do i apply for dual nationality and will it entitle me to french healthcare?
sally
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. A double negative....... makes a positive. I remember that from physics. Maybe if the cables get connected properly the lights might some back on.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyyann
Hi,
I`m english and will soon be marrying a french man...how do i apply for dual nationality and will it entitle me to french healthcare?
sally
hi there and welcome to the forum
have a look at the french embassy in uk website
http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/spip.php?rubrique=7
think that might help with your queries and also gives phone no.
if you need to contact them.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

With a comment like this on the forum, you've just made yourself as popular as a f*rt in a spacesuit!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Joni is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello I am new to this Forum, well realy I am new to the whole forum set up so please excuse any mistakes I make!Firstly hello to one and all out there including the grumpy one's could you please help me reguarding dual nationality and passport rules, obviously I am english with an english passport ,my mother was French does this mean I am entitaled to an French passport as well?? I have lived and worked in France for a few years now and feel it may help me to have a French passport as well ( e.g. voteing in elections and job applications)

many thanks looking forward to your replies Joni
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Joni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: dual citizenship; be carefull!!!

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's not true. There are certain things that local citizens can do which those from other EU states cannot do (full voting rights, public service employment etc).

And perhaps stating the obvious, but there is no guarantee that the free-movement rules between EU states won't break down at some point in future, eg if there is a serious recession.
I am trying for daul nationality my mother was french and father was english,I have lived in France for nearly five years now and am in the tax and social regimes,I would like voting and other rights as I intend to remain here for life the problem is the only paperwork I have for my mother is her British passport! could somebody out there help me with a little easy to understand information on what I need to do to get a french passport,I always have problems understanding official gobbledygook,perhaps I am a little thick!

looking forward to reading some simple replies joni

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.