Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Driving licence exchange again.

Driving licence exchange again.

Old Feb 28th 2021, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Known Aim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving licence exchange again.

Hi, my wife has a similar problem to the OP, she is 70 mid-March. We applied mid-October having waited for the Nantes backlog to clear and ANTS to get over Covid difficulties.

We have contacted ANTS a couple of times, but they seem unsympathetic to the problem. A perfect French shrug, i guess.

As we have a second home in the UK, the license was valid.

All we have had was a one line email and a text, so not really an attestation, as such. Does that count for a 7-month extension, this is the first we have heard about that? ANTS did not mention it.

Has anyone received an exchange license recently? How long did it take?

is it worth visiting the local Gendarmerie to seek their opinion?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Known Aim
Hi, my wife has a similar problem to the OP, she is 70 mid-March. We applied mid-October having waited for the Nantes backlog to clear and ANTS to get over Covid difficulties.

We have contacted ANTS a couple of times, but they seem unsympathetic to the problem. A perfect French shrug, i guess.

As we have a second home in the UK, the license was valid.

All we have had was a one line email and a text, so not really an attestation, as such. Does that count for a 7-month extension, this is the first we have heard about that? ANTS did not mention it.

Has anyone received an exchange license recently? How long did it take?

is it worth visiting the local Gendarmerie to seek their opinion?

Thanks for any advice.
I'm not entirely sure what your situation is, but I think things have moved on, or maybe backwards, since this thread started.
As I understand it, France and the UK are in negotiations about driving licence exchange but they're not there yet.
I believe the current situation is that if you have a UK licence but live in France, and the licence expires, there is no way to renew it at present.
I know it seems wrong but that is what the British Embassy seems to be saying. The governments are aware of the issue and working to resolve it but as of right now there seems to be no solution.
(Sorry can't provide a link as I nicked this off another forum.)

Old Feb 28th 2021, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

My understanding is that issue related to applications submitted after 1st January. Given the quantity / quality of the information requested on the ANTS website last October, verifying and tickboxes are all the human input that seems required, once they have confirmation from the DVLA.

sorry, i seem. not to be allowed to use quotes for the time being.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

As you say, you would think that applications submitted during transition could continue to be processed. I don't think ANTS has been accepting applications to exchange snce 1st Jan.
I wasn't even aware of this whole issue until the other day when I happened to see that FB conversation about it. Happily it doesn't affect me, not yet at any rate.
Best of luck with it.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
i submitted my application to exchange my UK licence for a French one last October. Apart from a text to confirm receipt, I’ve heard nothing.
My husband swapped his licence about 2 years ago. From start to finish, it took 1 year and 3 months. I kid you not.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, presumably, that was under the Nantes system that collapsed under the pressure?
Old Mar 1st 2021, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was done through Nantes.
I’m not optimistic that my swap will be any faster. Not a problem for me personally but I have a friend who also applied in October and his UK licence expired in February. Since he has no way to renew it, he’s now unable to drive legally.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks, i see your application was at the beginning of October. We can only keep our collective fingers crossed.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Might take another week before it's officially announced, but good news regarding exchanges. It seems UK driving licenses (if issued before 2021) will be recognised in France, and only needs to be exchanged six months before it expires. If you try to exchange it without a valid reason (e.g. less than 6 months left, points to be deducted etc.), I think it will be refused. If you have the old paper one (like myself), then it will be good until you're around 70 years old, otherwise I think it's the date (4b) if you have the photocard. You will need the WARP Article 50 Tue residency permit to accompany your license.
If it's expired, then you will be issued a temporary license until the exchange is completed.
If your license was issued after 2021, then you have 12 months from the date of your residency permit to make the exchange.

Not sure what happens if using a UK license with a French vehicle in another EU country, but hopefully commonsense will prevail.

Last edited by G-J-B; Jun 25th 2021 at 9:35 am.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

4/06/2021 - UK DRIVING LICENCES UPDATE RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT

Further to the update by the British Embassy tonight (24.06.21), I can finally confirm the terms of the agreement.

This is to be released y by the Ministère de l'Intérieur soon, we can’t expand further on exact timings, and have advised they want to ensure that CERT, CREPIC, ANTS and the Gendarmes/Police are fully mandated before the ANTS system goes live.
Y
There will be a unified media release by the Ministère de l'Intérieur and the British Embassy Paris to publicise the new criteria and the opening of the ANTS system for UK licence exchanges.

The terms of the agreement are as follows:

__________________________________________________ ___________________
Licences & Photocards (4a date) issued BEFORE 31.12.2020 (Licences issued whilst the UK was in the EU)

Licences and Photocards (4a) issued before 31.12.20 will continue to be recognised as legal and will be eligible for exchange 6 months before the expiry date of :

Photocard 4b
Photocard column 11
Original paper UK licence at 70

A WARP (Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permit Article 50 Tue) will be required for UK citizens, or a CdS if you are required to hold one for application. If you hold EU citizenship, no changes to existing exchange procedure.
Expired - Licences and Photocards (4a date) issued BEFORE 31.12.20
(Licences issued whilst the UK was in the EU)

All Licences and Photocards (4a) issued before 31.12.20 but have now expired, whether before 31.12.20 or since whilst waiting for the new system to go live, will be eligible for exchange.

This won't be a quick process but once your application moves to the request to submit your licence you will receive an Attestation de Depot de Permis de Conduire (temporary licence) whist your French licence is being finalised.
Licences and Photocards (4a date) issued from 01.01.2021

Licences and Photocards (4a) issued from 01.01.2021 will have 12 months from the date of issue of your Residence Permit to start the exchange.
I am yet to be briefed on whether translations will be required for UK licence exchanges, but a Certificate of Entitlement will (I can almost guarantee) be asked for.
I must reiterate that when the system goes live no licence exchange application (licences or photocards issued BEFORE 31/12/20) will be processed if the licence or photocard has more than 6 months validity remaining on the licence, this has been made clear to by the Ministère de l'Intérieur.
This has been updated on the UK Gov Living in France