Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Driving in France as named driver in uk

Driving in France as named driver in uk

Old May 3rd 2016, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving in France as named driver in uk

Are you legally covered to drive a car in France when the car is owned by someone living in the UK and insured in that persons name with you as a named driver. Owner resident in Uk and you resident in France. I was told if you go back for a day every three months it is ok but I am not sure about this.
Old May 3rd 2016, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in France as named driver in uk

Originally Posted by Confusedinfrance
Are you legally covered to drive a car in France when the car is owned by someone living in the UK and insured in that persons name with you as a named driver. Owner resident in Uk and you resident in France. I was told if you go back for a day every three months it is ok but I am not sure about this.
Most UK policies cover 3rd party only when in Europe. Some may give comprehensive cover.
Insurance companies ask you to declare where the car in normally kept.
If you (or the insured) don't inform them then your insurance will be invalid.
If you are involved in an accident, the insurance company will ask lots of questions including when you arrived in France (and prove it !) and how long your visit to France was.
If they find out that you have been totally honest with them then they will be delighted to cancel the insurance and leave you uncovered.
You may also be in trouble with the gendarmes because you are required under french law to register the car in France.
Going back for a day every 3 months IMHO will not help and the insurance company and/or the gendarmes will decide for themselves.
If the insurance company cancels your insurance then you and the insured person will find it almost impossible to obtain UK insurance in the future.
All insurance companies ask if you have ever had insurance refused or cancelled.
You are running a serious risk with your current arrangement.
Old May 3rd 2016, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Confusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond reputeConfusedinfrance has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cyrian, It is not for me I am resident and on French plates and all legal but a friend here isn't and I hesitate to go in her car with her. She says she is covered as a named driver but I thought the said driver had to be in the car with her when outside the UK. I have looked on the internet but nothing concrete. I agree that it would depend on the incident and the gendarme who attended.......
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is not the legality. Insurance companies by convention must cover for liability if a premium is paid. Your friend is insured and cannot be charged with driving uninsured.
The problem will be if she has an accident and the insurance company investigate. The principal driver will need to explain that your friend's use of the car was casual otherwise, as cyrian says, the insurance company will black both of them.
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

CinF - Have a read at this link.
Car insurance: 10 things you must do to stay legal - uSwitch
and this one:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...es-your-claim/

Last edited by cyrian; May 3rd 2016 at 7:46 pm.
Old May 3rd 2016, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

One crucial question is are the insurers aware that the named driver is not UK resident, fewer and fewer companies will now add non residents to a policy.

Returning for a day every 3 months is irrelevant rubbish and probably a misinterpretation of the policies 90 day trip restriction which itself is BS because insurance is for a full year throughout the EU, albeit potentially only 3rd party.

Sometimes the machinations people go through to avoid registering a car or otherwise observing the law in France beggar belief !
Old May 4th 2016, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Im - Er I agree and I have been very vocal about it . No, the insurance company are not aware that the car is in France long term and the named driver is a resident. I have given up now but you can bet your last centime that nothing will happen to her but to some other legal driver, sods law !!!
Old May 4th 2016, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

It's not worth getting excited about, the fact that a policy is in place and that she is a named driver on it means that 3rd parties are covered even if the T&C's are being violated.

The risk is hers and god help her if she kills or maims somebody, she'll be paying for it for the rest of her days.

You're wise to not travel in the car with her though as knowledge of the abuse would negate a claim on your part.