Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Driving in France, emission zones and the new Crit Air vignette system

Driving in France, emission zones and the new Crit Air vignette system

Old Nov 3rd 2022, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving in France, emission zones and the new Crit Air vignette system

Regarding driving in France and the new emission zones as well as the new vignette system, I was wondering:

If I have a car, manufactured before 1997, I can't get any vignette? Meaning, I'd be barred from driving in certain parts of French cities?

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...french-cities/
https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/f...classement.pdf
https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/f...rticuliere.pdf

It states "EURO 2 ------------ Entre le 1er juillet 1997 et le 31 décembre 2000 inclus ESSENCE ET ASSIMILÉS DIESEL ET ASSIMILÉS EURO 1 ET AVANT Véhicules non classés pour lesquels il n'y a pas de délivrance de vignettes ------------ Jusqu'au 31 décembre 1996"

The car in question is a Euro 2 petrol car, manufactured in June 1995 and it seems I won't get any sticker for it, and wont' be able to drive it in those newly designated zones?
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in France, emission zones and the new Crit Air vignette system

Hi
I can only speak for Strasbourg.
If your vehicle is too old to qualify for a Cri'Air certificate you won't be permitted within the city limits from January.

Old Nov 3rd 2022, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in France, emission zones and the new Crit Air vignette system

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Hi
I can only speak for Strasbourg.
If your vehicle is too old to qualify for a Cri'Air certificate you won't be permitted within the city limits from January.
Thanks for that. Oddly, it seems, it's the manufacture date of the car, rather then the Euro emission class which decides if one get's the Crit Air certificate or not.

Cars manufactured before 1997 will apparently be denied this Crit Air sticker, even if they fulfill the Euro2 emission standard.

The regulation is especially odd as it's the emission causing the poor air quality, not the year the car has been manufactured.

Old Nov 3rd 2022, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

You’re making the mistake of thinking like a logical person.
Old Nov 4th 2022, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

You’re making the mistake of thinking like a logical person.
I am just trying to understand it.

I take it, all cars manufactured before 1997 are to disappear from certain designated "zones".
Old Nov 4th 2022, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

It is what it is.

I have the same problem with my classic campervan, first registered 1992. If you try to apply for a vignette, it simply says No, your vehicle is too old. Not that I drive it into cities if I can avoid it, but it's going to be something to watch out for when planning routes.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Nov 4th 2022 at 5:24 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2022, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Parking is a nightmare in Strasbourg. It would be far more relaxing to stay in a little village outside the city and just travel in on the train.
Old Nov 6th 2022, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
It is what it is.

I have the same problem with my classic campervan, first registered 1992. If you try to apply for a vignette, it simply says No, your vehicle is too old. Not that I drive it into cities if I can avoid it, but it's going to be something to watch out for when planning routes.
It's probably bureaucrats deciding on something they don't really understand anyway. But in the end, it's a law, it's obligatory, and if not complying it's a fine and it certainly doesn't save the climate, but as long as a majority believes in it, politicians get re elected and government budgets are financed, it's going to continue.

I think, it's something to watch out for as this scheme will most likely expand to other cities and even whole regions of France.

The only exemption to the rule would be Paris, and if you're owning and driving a collectible vehicle of a certain age. However I doubt that a classic campervan would qualify. It's probably only intended for older Citroen 2CV and those likes, something that looks classic French as well.....

Parking is a nightmare in Strasbourg. It would be far more relaxing to stay in a little village outside the city and just travel in on the train.
I usually go there at the weekends, and always found parking around the main train station, especially on the Bd du President Wilson. If I used a parking garage, I've used Sainte Aurelie near the train station.

Old Nov 6th 2022, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
It's probably bureaucrats deciding on something they don't really understand anyway. But in the end, it's a law, it's obligatory, and if not complying it's a fine and it certainly doesn't save the climate, but as long as a majority believes in it, politicians get re elected and government budgets are financed, it's going to continue.

I think, it's something to watch out for as this scheme will most likely expand to other cities and even whole regions of France.
The only exemption to the rule would be Paris, and if you're owning and driving a collectible vehicle of a certain age. However I doubt that a classic campervan would qualify. It's probably only intended for older Citroen 2CV and those likes, something that looks classic French as well.....
I imagine the idea in the long term is to encourage people to go electric by gradually tightening the screws and making it more and more inconvenient to drive a diesel or petrol vehicle. Which as a policy, I don't see as unreasonable because I think it will work to some extent, it will give people the nudge they need to switch to electric that bit sooner than they might have done otherwise, and especially city drivers. Or use public transport more. Eventually they'll stop making fossil fuel vehicles and then we'll all have to switch anyway.

Its only likely 'real impact on me for the immediate future is not being able to drive through Rouen, which is my shortest route to the ferry, but there are plenty other routes I can take. For various reasons it wouldn't be feasible for me to my van as a véhicule de collection despite it being Citroen based.

Old Nov 6th 2022, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I imagine the idea in the long term is to encourage people to go electric by gradually tightening the screws and making it more and more inconvenient to drive a diesel or petrol vehicle. Which as a policy, I don't see as unreasonable because I think it will work to some extent, it will give people the nudge they need to switch to electric that bit sooner than they might have done otherwise, and especially city drivers. Or use public transport more. Eventually they'll stop making fossil fuel vehicles and then we'll all have to switch anyway.

Its only likely 'real impact on me for the immediate future is not being able to drive through Rouen, which is my shortest route to the ferry, but there are plenty other routes I can take. For various reasons it wouldn't be feasible for me to my van as a véhicule de collection despite it being Citroen based.
I think so far Paris is the only city having exemptions for a vehicule de collection of whatever make or manufacturer. Apparently, they also accept other European historical registrations and license plates, such as the German "H" license plate. However these reports are to date unconfirmed, and nothing is in writing.

The only problem to the story is that historical license plates in Europe are in general for cars which are 30 years of age. This would leave a couple of years as a gap, from 2022 to say 2027, if it's about a car manufactured before 1997 and after 1993.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Nov 6th 2022 at 8:24 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2022, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

baroudeur is an unknown quantity at this point

The latest on ZFEs and CritAir.