Driving

Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud of
Default Driving

Hi all,
About to commence another week,tomorrow as usual and for sometime i shall be driving the 23.7 kilometers to work this consists of citydriving,autoroute, D-roads and muddy track!
Apart from the obvious of left hand diving, no problems, i am a experienced driver with many years negotiating city traffic.
Have experienced many different driving conditions here and in uk, since working here i have had to learn that in my opinion the french do not have much patience when driving.
Of course my telepathic skills of other drivers indication or chosen direction has improved, watching someone tailgate (at speed) others and myself has comfirmed to me driving in france can be more eventful than most places. interested in your views as always.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:56 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving

I think that the driving in France has improved since over the last 20 years. I took my test here in '88 and they teach you to drive normally it's just that once they pass some of them are wierdly short of good judgement. That's what bothered me in fact. Not the speed or the nipping in and out that the Italians do - it was the sudden for no reason badly judged manouvres when you least expected it. That and the fact that they all drive tractors wider than the roads.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:39 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, having returned to The Mad House of Bad Driving (UK) from a sleepy week in Brittany, to be frank, give me French nutters anyday. OK, got cut up a couple of times by blind farmers in citroens that were held together with coke can rings and bits of string, and nearly ended up in a lake when a Convoi Exceptional appeared unexpectedly round a bend (followed rather strangely by the car with "Attention! Convoi Exceptional" three cars back), but folk were at least good tempered about stuff.

Lost a car park space to a fiercely determined French woman with 4 catawauling mini Frogettes in the back on the dreaded school run in Carhaix, and the lorries making their way to Roscoff got on me nerves eventually but still prefer it 100% to the total mayhem here in UK.

Going to Exeter the other day, I was honked, goosed, gestured at and eventually cut up and overtaken by an odious little grey-haired person of dubious sex who gave me the finger at Matford Roundabout. I wouldn't have minded, but the car was falling to bits and plastered with Disabled stickers.

Our week in Brittany was bliss, aside from the Canadian estate agent keeping on at me to "put my boot down" even though I was doing 100 kph on a D road cos he wanted his lunch.

Can't wait to get over there for good, and Britain can become one giant scary cross car park for all I care.

Happy Sunday to all.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

TM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to allTM_001 is a name known to all

Hi,

Well, I couldn't agree more, however there's one big difference from France to UK on driving. In France, the majority drive the way they do, which makes it pretty predictable (yes, you do need a crystal ball, but only 1..!). Once you understand the system, then it's ok.

In the UK, everyone drives the way they want to, which makes it pretty damned difficult to read/predict, hence there's more accidents.

I'm glad we rarely need to put up with the UK driving anymore.....now it's country driving in France or the TGV for the commute into Paris..
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for Dutch numberplates - the only time I've had really near misses in France have been with a NL registration plate - they're crazy driver's when over here!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the french are bad drivers (apart from the parisiens who think using a rear view mirror is an option). I agree about the tractors though, they can be a real pain in the rear. I hate tractors.
As for patience, I don't think the Brits are any better, and since being in France I've never heard of any case of "road rage". If you were to cut someone up in France you'd most certainly be Honked, with flashing headlights and you'd be abused verbally - In England you'd probably get stabbed!!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:10 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

True about the Brits and road rage. It makes me so mad I could kill anyone who tried it on me.

But there are more deaths on the French roads I believe due entirely to the lack of Belisha Beacons. Long live the Empire.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:58 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

The things that I have to actually TELL myself each time when I first drive over there is Zebra Crossings Are Different, roundabouts are the wrong way round (although to me as a right-hander it seems more normal after about a day), orange flashing lights mean something and we don't have them here and, as you all pointed out above, unless you want a flat Clio, tractors have right of way whatever, so concede gracefully.

Once you get your noggin round that, it's plain sailing, although once on the way back from Obi in Cahors we encountered a little old lady merrily coming towards us on OUR SIDE of the RN20, just south of Fontanes turnoff, creeping along in the fast lane which was really scary ..............
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:03 am
down under where

Originally Posted by Andrea50
a little old lady merrily coming towards us
Probably Ka Ora lost on his way back from the shop.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:17 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by treskillard
Probably Ka Ora lost on his way back from the shop.
I am never lost, Just taking an adventurous deviation.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:28 am
down under where

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I am never lost, Just taking an adventurous deviation.
A deviant! See - I told you so.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

(Just to change the tone of the conversation!!!)
I don't know which parts of France have them, but driving around the Loire region they have these boards that are shaped as the profile of people, representing adults and children who have died via a road accident. They say things like "I was 47 years old" or "I was 18 years old" - sends a small chill down my spine.

Yes, do watch the Parisians - I've yet to witness a crash, but they drive like nutters, and other French do not like a 75 registration plate. I was on the autorue once, and a guy behind me had his arm hanging out the window (a lot of French like to drive like this), and he didn't notice the traffic was slowing. Fortunately there was a hard shoulder, and he had to throw himself onto that to avoid ramming me.

Last edited by G-J-B; Mar 9th 2009 at 11:48 am.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:59 am
Grey Bombshell

Gav, I clearly remember those figures at the side of the road - they were usually painted black with like a bolt of red lightening painted through their heads - like something off Zone Horror - but they got the point across for sure.

We were driving through thick "brouillard" once to Caussade and a whole row of them one after another appeared eerily beside the road and I thought I was an extra in The Fog .....................
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:19 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Since about 1989 I have driven in France several times per year and I have notice a significant change. I remember finding French roads incredibly fast and its cities total chaos, then getting off the ferry into the UK completely tranquil, a sigh of relief. Now I think the French have slowed down (speed cameras), the Brits have sped up (frustration at gridlock means clear road ahead = chance to catch up). Also culturally I think Britain has become more aggressive, everyone in hurry and behaving more selfishly. In fact now I much prefer driving in France. I find that French drivers, myself included, tend to expect the unexpected, learn not to rely on things like indicators since so many people fail to use them. In the UK drivers are lulled into a false sense of security and do not expect that person coming round the roundabout to continue coming round it unless they are indicating. Its all about expecting good manners from other road users - no-one expects such a thing in France. Also I find driving in Paris is fine for me. Yes its a bit like taking part in Whacky Races sometimes, but I find that everyone is aggressive, sharp, aware that the rules of the road are there to be broken and consequently as a system it seems to get along quite well. If someone pushes in front of you, you beep, everyone moves on. Similarly if you cut someone up, they beep, everyone moves on. Nobody gets out and stabs you with a screwdriver, nobody really takes it personally. Does this make sense?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:36 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

All the differences we on the roads between the Countries is heavily influenced by the Policing Policies of each Country. In the UK Road Policing is approached in a Proactive Method and generates a reasonable income. Policing in France is a lot more laid back and typically with a few exceptions approached in a Reactive method, Yes you get your odd Roadside Stop and Checks but it's even then more laid back Gendarmes stand in a Layby and pick and choose cars in some obscure random fashion. The Younger population still get to act like idiots on mopeds because central government here knows that if it pushes to hard another month of riots will follow, <Snip>

It's horses for courses, At first I found french driving random and was convinced a Head on Collision could be found on every bend. But after Six years I find it very predicable. Go wider on Sharp bends never try and cut it, When overtaking drop back a couple of hundred mtrs and floor it so that when you indicate and pull out there is no way the car in front has time to speed up. Get used to being Tail Gated, and get used to Tail Gating because if you do not Tail Gate someone else will fill the hole (Fck Em and Dont leave a Hole) In all im very glad I took my Defensive Driving course with the Army it's helped no end here. Just wish I had a Tank at my disposal.

Disgusted of (Royal) Tunbridge Wells

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.