Reload this Page >

Dordogne SW France Area

Dordogne SW France Area

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 1:47 pm
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road
Smile Dordogne SW France Area

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me with as much information as possible. We are looking to buying a holiday home in the SW France area and will be visiting in the next 5-6 weeks.
I have never visited the area, my husband has - years ago and he now wants to invest there.

What areas would you recommend and why?
Is the area safe from major crime?
Are there plenty of outdoor family activites?

we have two children 12 and 4 and need plenty of outdoor activities for both age groups in the summer months. we are looking for something with its own land on the outskirts of a village or small town, but not isolated.
Any helpful advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
We originate from the Uk but live in the Middle East where temperatures are far too hot during the summer, hence the great escape.

Any information would be greatly apprciated.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:20 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dordogne SW France Area

Hi there

Dordogne is a lovely area, and although we lived further south (near Cahors in the North of Tarn-et-Garonne) we visited the Dordogne very often, and wanted to buy our second house there.

If you want "a bit of life" nearby, you might like to think about living within easy travelling distance of one of the bigger towns, such as Bergerac, Sarlat or Perigeux. I personally loved Sarlat, lots of shops, great market, etc and, if you feel the need for hearing the English language daily, a lot of British people in the area. We started off exploring the actual river towns by driving along the river Dordogne itself. We encountered lovely little places such as Le Bugue, Saint Sozy, and Domme. There are lots of places on the Dordogne where water-based activities go on like swimming and canoeing for kids.

If you are thinking of making regular trips back and forth to UK, it might be wise to choose somewhere within about one hour driving distance of Bergerac or Bordeaux, depending on which airport you choose as your main commuting one.

Perigeux is a lovely town, and, if you are thinking of buying a property with things that need doing to it, Perigeux has a Brico depot (the French equivalent of B&Q) which we found very useful.

Lots depends on your budget, how near to civilisation you wish to be, how often you have to fly back, etc.

There will be others on here who are actually living there, and I am sure they can give you more in-depth analysis of individual places.

We did find that Correze had much cheaper property. There is a lovely town called Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne there, which is very attractive.

Houses are pretty in the Dordogne, and quite a few are of a style called Perigourdian, where their roofs sweep up slightly on the edges.

Have a nice trip there, and I suspect you will fall in love with it!

Good luck.

Andy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Correze is cheaper because of its higher altitude. It is not as attractive as the Dordogne and gets freezing fog frequently in winter. Being so rural it then becomes almost impossible to travel safely at night. French Golden Delicious apples are grown under nets there to comply with insurance requirements (tells you something about the weather there or the insurers, not sure which). The nets are like colossal spiders' webs everywhere.
Please see my other posts on other threads for life here in the Périgord Vert (north Dordogne) which I would recommend.

Last edited by onlyonebrenda; Feb 25th 2008 at 10:26 pm. Reason: Spell check
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:03 am
Banned

maisondepoitiers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

We were also in the Middle East (in Dubai) and left because we found it too hot and too sterile, something that Oman is not :-). I am a New Zealander who in the last 15 years has moved on average every two years and have lived and worked in Turkey, India, UK, USA, Switzerland and Australia. I have travelled extensively and feel the most settled and happy in France. I live in Castillonnes - a tranquil bastide village which is on the Lot et Garonne and Dordogne border. We are about a 15 minute drive from Bergerac airport and are also not far from Bordeaux and Toulouse airports. The local people are friendly and I have found that if you make the effort to fit in they readily accept you. The countryside is gorgeous and crime is pretty much unheard off here - people still go to sleep with their doors unlocked at night and the local fruit shop leaves his fruit outside the shop during the lunchtime closure.There are tennis courts, swimming pool, karate club and numerous clubs (french and english)in the area should you wish to join them. There are also many places to walk and cycle should you wish to do so. I fell in love with this part of France the first time I saw it and are sure that you will too. I hope that this helps you, if you need more information on anything including real estate etc please feel free to drop me line.

A bientot

Leeann
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:10 pm
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the useful information that you have kindly provided. I cannot believe that we will be there ourselves in a few weeks time looking at areas and properties. The information so far has enabled us to identify possibly locations. Thank you again.
Any further information or advice would still be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:10 pm
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=onlyonebrenda;5982942 Being so rural it then becomes almost impossible to travel safely at night

Could you possible tell me why?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

The towns of Beaulieau, Trignac Uzerches and Tulles were featured on a Channel 4 programme recenntly.

Go to google and enter Channel 4 homes Beaulieau. There is a facility to watch on line Also try Channel 4 a place in the sun Treignac
Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

I forgot to point out that in Relocation Relocation , the prices are from 2005
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Hello Septimus
Re my comment about it becoming almost impossible to travel safely at night.
Being relatively high up compared to the Dordogne - you are getting well into the massif central here - the temperature is hotter in summer but colder and more exposed in winter. The population is very sparse. We just don't really have a concept of how remote some places are in France if we have only lived in England. The roads are windy and narrow with soft verges and sometimes big drops either side. It can be very beautiful but for much of the yeazr the fog arrives early evening and lingers late in the morning in the valleys which are still in the sun's shadow. If it is at all cold the roads become icy and you get freezing fog. I have driven when 18 inches of snow had fallen when I lived in Scotland so I am no coward when it comes to driving in bad conditions but like the locals I will not now drive there after dark if conditions are bad . I've tried it and it just isn't worth it. The fog slows you down to a snail's pace. You are not likely to see a single car for your entire journey. You don't have clear road markings to follow, deer, foxes and hares can step out in front of you - lovely but dangerous and if you do break down/ have a problem you face a very long walk. 'Nuff said?
Périgord Vert may not be so hot on the marketing as the Limousin of which Correze is part but it has a lot going for it.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:08 am
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by onlyonebrenda
Hello Septimus
Re my comment about it becoming almost impossible to travel safely at night.
Being relatively high up compared to the Dordogne - you are getting well into the massif central here - the temperature is hotter in summer but colder and more exposed in winter. The population is very sparse. We just don't really have a concept of how remote some places are in France if we have only lived in England. The roads are windy and narrow with soft verges and sometimes big drops either side. It can be very beautiful but for much of the yeazr the fog arrives early evening and lingers late in the morning in the valleys which are still in the sun's shadow. If it is at all cold the roads become icy and you get freezing fog. I have driven when 18 inches of snow had fallen when I lived in Scotland so I am no coward when it comes to driving in bad conditions but like the locals I will not now drive there after dark if conditions are bad . I've tried it and it just isn't worth it. The fog slows you down to a snail's pace. You are not likely to see a single car for your entire journey. You don't have clear road markings to follow, deer, foxes and hares can step out in front of you - lovely but dangerous and if you do break down/ have a problem you face a very long walk. 'Nuff said?
Périgord Vert may not be so hot on the marketing as the Limousin of which Correze is part but it has a lot going for it.

I know the area well ,have had a house in valley base not 50kms from you,for the last 19yrs.Yes a little fog at times but not to stop me going out. If you have green area like it is you get the morning and evening MISTS.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:14 pm
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute

'Ere, stop knocking the Correze !! It's beautiful here, yes it's hilly - reminiscent of the Quantocks - and yes, it gets misty at times (and not as often as has been suggested), but I haven't experienced any fog which I would describe as remotely dangerous, and I frequently drive along the windy lanes at night. It's rural, and almost mediaeval - but that's all part of the charm.

Chris
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Think you must be talking Scotch 'mists' here! Correze is lovely (I did say it was very hot in summer) ' it's just not as nice as the Périgord Vert in my view Vive la différence. Incidentally I have been travelling every week from Excideuil to Juillac for the last few months so I am talking from personal experience. Hope you like apples......
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:36 pm
Banned

Think you must be talking Scotch 'mists' here! Correze is lovely (I did say it was very hot in summer) ' it's just not as nice as the Périgord Vert in my view Vive la différence. Incidentally I have been travelling every week from Excideuil to Juillac for the last few months so I am talking from personal experience. Hope you like apples......

One a day keeps the ===== away,
Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Judging by the orchard's I've seen in the Correze they grow enough golden delicious for one a minute!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:50 am
Banned

Judging by the orchard's I've seen in the Correze they grow enough golden delicious for one a minute!
That should do the trick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.