Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Dordogne SW France Area

Dordogne SW France Area

Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:47 am
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dordogne SW France Area

Originally Posted by Chris'nJulie
'Ere, stop knocking the Correze !! It's beautiful here, yes it's hilly - reminiscent of the Quantocks - and yes, it gets misty at times (and not as often as has been suggested), but I haven't experienced any fog which I would describe as remotely dangerous, and I frequently drive along the windy lanes at night. It's rural, and almost mediaeval - but that's all part of the charm.

Chris
Some of the funny (fog mist) around this morning,will have to stay in.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

But you can see in the fog in the daylight!
It's brilliant sunshine here!
Realised you're probably my nrarest neighboursd on the Expats site. Better not upset you too much.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:29 pm
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by onlyonebrenda
But you can see in the fog in the daylight!
It's brilliant sunshine here!
Realised you're probably my nrarest neighboursd on the Expats site. Better not upset you too much.

Well past upseting
far to old
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:41 pm
Banned

If you live in s.w.FRANCE

Batton down the hatchs on LUNDY as very strong winds on way.110/120kmH.

Close all the shutters.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

billy4ray is an unknown quantity at this point

I live half an hour from Bergerac and can truely say its wonderful. We live just 12kms from a small market town called Lalinde. They have a lot of walled villages called bastides around here,and a lot of community spirit to go with it.
We have found the people round here very helpful and thats Brits and French. I think investment around here is difficult as the price of properties is at the top end so not much profit to be made. However if you just want a good life then i dont think it can be beaten (I think I may be a bit biased)
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by septimus

Batton down the hatchs on LUNDI as very strong winds on way.110/120kmH.

Close all the shutters.

Sorry can-not spell
Old Mar 8th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Dazzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We are mid 30's and have been living in the Perigord Vert for almost a year, we lived near Thiviers and now have bought a place near Riberac. After looking around Spain for 5 years we decided against it mainly because of the ridiculously high crime rate especially in burglary.

So, your question regarding the crime rate was our first question when house hunting here in the Dordogne and I hope the answer we got will give you all the reassurance it gave us - We was told exactly this! :

"Oooooh, the crime rate around here is horrendous! (sarcastic tone applied!) - about 2 years ago some kids stole the cushions out of the town hall, they didn't half get a telling off and made to put them back - The town have never got over that and are still talking about it to this day!!"

Every one told us that it will take a while to get out of the habit of worrying about whether you have locked your front door, shut your windows or locked your car or not worrying if you hear a noise outside. It took me about 6 weeks before I could really get this out of my system, especially living in a woodland area, I would hear a noise at night and keep getting my fella to check, but with the amount of wildlife out there he soon got fed up with me! We now only lock our doors if we are going back to the UK for a few days, the cars never get locked and ... I even leave my bag in the trolley at the supermarkets and wander off without a second thought!

We don't have kids and it is not something we wanted back in the UK, but now we are out here we have totally changed our minds and couldn't think of a lovelier place to bring up children.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Shame we didn't know we were on eachother's doorstep. Enjoy Riberac, I've never been there but I would agree with you. There's something quite liberating about being out here in every sense and I feel much more attuned to the land and the seasons.
It's election day to day so I'm off to do my civic bit. It's been very interesting trying to find out a bit about local politics and where people are coming from.. My friend Colette (friend in a non-political sense that is) is standing for the Canton of Thiviers. She is also the suppléante for the Regional Deputé Michel Debet, or was, as sadly he died after a long illness which he kept well hidden (cancer). Regardless of political persuasion the region has lost a good man (I met him several times) so I found myself doing something I would never do in England and attended a political meeting where respects were paid to him. What a funny thing life is....
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by septimus

Batton down the hatchs on LUNDY as very strong winds on way.110/120kmH.

Close all the shutters.
Well it past by here,went up north more.
Plenty of rain at moment wich will give us more of those mists.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:51 pm
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dazzo
Hi

We are mid 30's and have been living in the Perigord Vert for almost a year, we lived near Thiviers and now have bought a place near Riberac. After looking around Spain for 5 years we decided against it mainly because of the ridiculously high crime rate especially in burglary.

So, your question regarding the crime rate was our first question when house hunting here in the Dordogne and I hope the answer we got will give you all the reassurance it gave us - We was told exactly this! :

"Oooooh, the crime rate around here is horrendous! (sarcastic tone applied!) - about 2 years ago some kids stole the cushions out of the town hall, they didn't half get a telling off and made to put them back - The town have never got over that and are still talking about it to this day!!"

Every one told us that it will take a while to get out of the habit of worrying about whether you have locked your front door, shut your windows or locked your car or not worrying if you hear a noise outside. It took me about 6 weeks before I could really get this out of my system, especially living in a woodland area, I would hear a noise at night and keep getting my fella to check, but with the amount of wildlife out there he soon got fed up with me! We now only lock our doors if we are going back to the UK for a few days, the cars never get locked and ... I even leave my bag in the trolley at the supermarkets and wander off without a second thought!

We don't have kids and it is not something we wanted back in the UK, but now we are out here we have totally changed our minds and couldn't think of a lovelier place to bring up children.

Hope this helps.
Hi

All this information has been so useful and we really appreciate every little bit of it. Out of interest why are you leaving Thiviers for Riberac?
We have short listed properties to view and will be flying out a week from now to have a GOOD look around. If anyone still has more information to share please do so before then. Thanks a million for all your help.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:28 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=Awineor2;6048948]Hi

Out of interest why are you leaving Thiviers for Riberac?

Looking forward to answer.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maybe you just mist it
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by onlyonebrenda
Maybe you just mist it

Toucher.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dazzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

No reason really, Thiviers is lovely. We bought our first house because we just really loved the house and didn't know too much about the areas of France.

After living there for a year, doing a lot of exploring and deciding we wanted to stay, we found an idyllic gite complex which would give us a small income to enable us to stay in France.

We love all areas of the Dordogne so we did not restrict our search to a particular area.... All I can say is that we are still relatively young and have found that east of Thiviers (where we were before) in my opinion is a little more 'rural' than around Riberac.

We seem to be a little better situated for exploring locally and unfortunately as much as we wanted to integrate into the French life fully, we are now aiming our business at tourism and feel that Riberac is slightly better suited for the market we will be aiming to attract.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:10 pm
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dazzo
Hi,

No reason really, Thiviers is lovely. We bought our first house because we just really loved the house and didn't know too much about the areas of France.

After living there for a year, doing a lot of exploring and deciding we wanted to stay, we found an idyllic gite complex which would give us a small income to enable us to stay in France.

We love all areas of the Dordogne so we did not restrict our search to a particular area.... All I can say is that we are still relatively young and have found that east of Thiviers (where we were before) in my opinion is a little more 'rural' than around Riberac.

We seem to be a little better situated for exploring locally and unfortunately as much as we wanted to integrate into the French life fully, we are now aiming our business at tourism and feel that Riberac is slightly better suited for the market we will be aiming to attract.
Hi again,

And thanks for the explanation, it makes a lot of sense and is appreciated as we have children of primary and secondary school age so want a balanced life style with plenty of activities for the children. Shame that we did not know about your gite earlier we could have possibly rented it from you for the 2 weeks that we are going to be there. We arrive next week and hope to find something in the time that we are there, so obviously we need to know as much about areas before we get there. Has anyone got any advice about Eymet and Brantome area please? Plus other areas worth looking at and where to avoid.

Really looking forward to being there next week, though it is approx. 30 degrees in Oman at the moment so not too sure how the children or ourselves will adapt to the change of temperature. Do I need to bring any sunshine????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.