Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Don't fence me in!

Wikiposts

Don't fence me in!

Old Oct 28th 2012, 5:55 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't fence me in!

.... or wait and then check out recipes ....http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sa...wwithcab_89103
You could just say you left the gate open ...

Seriously though, stick with it. Sounds like you've got a case closed, though likely a pee'd off neighbour. That's always sad, but arrogance and indifference seems to be his/her agenda. I don't believe people don't know the boundaries of their patch.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Well, our local marie's office laid down the law and told them that they did not have the rights of access that they firmly believed. Now here's a new turn:
When this problem arose about 2 years ago, the neighbouring wife showed us an extract from the clause in their Acte de Vente, where the clause on servitude was included. It appeared to be vastly different from our servitude clause, giving them wider powers of access. Now when the local councillor visited them, she studied their papers. On calling me to talk about the meeting, she said that the two clauses (ours and theirs) appeared to be identical! There can only be one explanation that I can think of:
this woman has deliberately falsified their servitude clause (remember she never showed me the entire Acte, in itself unusual, since the Acte is usually heavily stapled together) in order to cheat us into giving them access. In this she failed because we went to the land office (Bureau des Hypotheques) and took a copy of the original acte when the properties were first split up and sold, showing that our clause was the correct one. The fact still remains that she is guilty of forgery or at least attempted forgery, any lawyers out there?
Blackie
Old Oct 31st 2012, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Well, our local marie's office laid down the law and told them that they did not have the rights of access that they firmly believed. Now here's a new turn:
When this problem arose about 2 years ago, the neighbouring wife showed us an extract from the clause in their Acte de Vente, where the clause on servitude was included. It appeared to be vastly different from our servitude clause, giving them wider powers of access. Now when the local councillor visited them, she studied their papers. On calling me to talk about the meeting, she said that the two clauses (ours and theirs) appeared to be identical! There can only be one explanation that I can think of:
this woman has deliberately falsified their servitude clause (remember she never showed me the entire Acte, in itself unusual, since the Acte is usually heavily stapled together) in order to cheat us into giving them access. In this she failed because we went to the land office (Bureau des Hypotheques) and took a copy of the original acte when the properties were first split up and sold, showing that our clause was the correct one. The fact still remains that she is guilty of forgery or at least attempted forgery, any lawyers out there?
Blackie
If I were you and didn't want to spark off a full-fledged neighbour war, I would just let the matter drop. Your neighbours know now that they can't get away with anything. They know that you will stand up for yourself and that the local marie's office will not take their side. That should be enough to keep them from trying on anything else in the future.

As it is, you have won. If you try to push your luck by saying they forged the extract, they will just say that there was a misunderstanding and it will just get very much messier from there.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations Blackie, you proved your case and got the outcome you both wanted and were entitled to. I have to agree with cmread though. You could pursue the forgery issue further, but you already said they are not French, so the "Sorry we misunderstood" card will surely be played and you may be left looking like a trouble maker. I know exactly how you feel, but IMHO, as they are your neighbours, probably better to let it rest now. Great outcome!
Old Oct 31st 2012, 5:18 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you could consider taking the moral high ground by inviting your neighbours for an apero and perhaps to offer your sympathy that they, perhaps, were not given the correct picture on their purchase ... otherwise I tend to agree (that small nice part of my stick it to 'em other half brain) don't go for the jugular, you have to live there. Build the peace (but not with a fence).
This has been a good series of posts because it shows that while we might wish a bed of the proverbial roses living in France, we are, in effect the immigrants and issues such as yours Blackie could be waiting for many of us ... that your councillor doesn't bat for you, well I guess you are registered to vote in local elections ...
Old Oct 31st 2012, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

sound advice from the last three posters, thanks a lot, a glass of the local Pineau (NOT the ones you get in Leclerc et al!) awaits you all!
Blackie
Old Oct 31st 2012, 8:29 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blackladder
sound advice from the last three posters, thanks a lot, a glass of the local Pineau (NOT the ones you get in Leclerc et al!) awaits you all!
Blackie
Scania's a lorry too far, but next one I see, I shall offer a notional salute, then I shall overtake it. My old man had to contend with crash boxes, oh heck, let's open another bottle ... salute Blackie. Just pleased it has worked out for you and I'm sure not I be the only one that feels/thinks/will say that.
Grey cell just kicked in. November 11 will have a ceremony in your village/town with your Maire; each of us need to be there. In our village there is a 'vin d'honneur' after. It is a moment to reflect, offer respect as well as to shake hands with the families you live alongside.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right now we are not more'n 2 hours odd from you - down in 16! Great idea cjm, but unfortunately on saturday morning we are off up to Scania again, so will miss 11 November this year, but the reason we are going is that, hold breath, we have sold the house! Yeah, we are going back to sign the contract and will be moving full time to Charente on 15 December. It's a really strange feeling to be driving north through All of France, All of Germany and Most of Denmark FOR THE LAST TIME!
So keep a glass or two available for the Pineau in the not too distant future!
Happy (?) Toussaint
Blackie
Old Oct 31st 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Blackie!

Welcome to the (permanent) Charente.

CJm yes we too will be there on 11th. Last year drove half way around trying to find where it was being held - not at the memorial, not in the square.
This year we shall just go down to the memorial in the village and see if anyone else arrives.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:46 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Well done Blackie!

Welcome to the (permanent) Charente.

CJm yes we too will be there on 11th. Last year drove half way around trying to find where it was being held - not at the memorial, not in the square.
This year we shall just go down to the memorial in the village and see if anyone else arrives.
The "celebrations" should be indicated for each Commune in the regional press, otherwise the Mairie will say. Our Mairie is right next door to the memorial, but in our nearest town, they're a procession away from each other.
Coming back on topic, glad to hear that everything's sorted out! But I would drop the forgery question....
Old Nov 1st 2012, 1:07 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Happy to share a glass here if you find yourself in this neck ...
... our Maire arranges for a notice to be delivered to each permanent resident, advising of three local Ceremonies du 11 Novembre. For our village, we assemble at the Marie, walk to the village monument a short distance and afterwards, as I mentioned, a return to the Marie for a glass of wine and will likely need once again to share why we wear a poppy ...
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks cjm, maybe next spring high tides?
And thanks Bigglesworth! I hope Ruffec is not becoming the next Dordogneshire!
Take care
Blackie
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Blackie,

When we moved here, we were told that the British population around here is 16 to 17 percent! And there have been quite a few moved in since.

So yes lots of Brits, but the weather is better than the Dordogne. (Although i prefer the scenery there)
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Glad things are sorted

As to the 11th we have gone to the ceremony every year for....years. We are even allowed to add a poppy wreath, if and when we wish. Everyone in the commune knows our son-in-law is in the army and respects our wish to honour the fallen of all nations. We have introduced the idea of wearing a poppy and it is totally accepted and appreciated.

We always go to the Vin d'honneur afterwards and I usually take some nibbles of a British nature.

I have to say that, although there are several Brit families in the commune we are the only ones who go. Not wanting brownie points but I would just like to say - join in, get involved and try to let a bit of your own former life in too. It works, it really does.