Reload this Page >

Does an EHIC cover pregnancy?

Does an EHIC cover pregnancy?

Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

babyconcern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does an EHIC cover pregnancy?

Hi

I am currently living in France and have just found out that I am pregnant. I'm not working here so do not have a carte vitale. As I understand things, I'm not entitled to any medical care apart from whatever's covered by my EHIC, but I haven't been able to find out what the EHIC covers me for. I have a partner who's working here but we're not married so I don't think I'm covered under his carte vitale.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has been in the same situation and what happened. Does anyone know if the EHIC covers me for any maternal care here? I will definitely be in France for my 12 week scan and probably the 20 week scan but may (not definitely though) have moved back to the UK by the time the baby is due.

I understand that most people get medical insurance here as a top up to the cover received under the carte vital. Does anyone know whether I would be able to get medical insurance now that I am already pregnant and how much this is likely to cost and the percentage I am still likely to pay as I don't have a carte vitale?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:51 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does an EHIC cover pregnancy?

Originally Posted by babyconcern
Hi

I am currently living in France and have just found out that I am pregnant. I'm not working here so do not have a carte vitale. As I understand things, I'm not entitled to any medical care apart from whatever's covered by my EHIC, but I haven't been able to find out what the EHIC covers me for. I have a partner who's working here but we're not married so I don't think I'm covered under his carte vitale.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has been in the same situation and what happened. Does anyone know if the EHIC covers me for any maternal care here? I will definitely be in France for my 12 week scan and probably the 20 week scan but may (not definitely though) have moved back to the UK by the time the baby is due.

I understand that most people get medical insurance here as a top up to the cover received under the carte vital. Does anyone know whether I would be able to get medical insurance now that I am already pregnant and how much this is likely to cost and the percentage I am still likely to pay as I don't have a carte vitale?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Welcome to the Forum, I believe it does and you should still be able to get the mutelle insurance as well. I say this not being 100% certain but I do know that when I had my First trauma incident that involved hospital stay it was delt with on a e111 and the Mutelle let us have cover as well as we had not got round to asking for our e106. Due to the some what lapse approach on our part we ended up paying about 400 euros to have a doctor accompany me 70kms in an ambulance. As a word of warning medical cover is not something to avoid in France my last hospital stay the Mutelle part of the bill was in excess of 600k, Top up insurance really pays
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:11 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, the first thing to do is consult a G.P. to get official confirmation that you're pregnant, then take the document and all your UK papers, ID and proof of residence along to your partner's CPAM office and ask them what rights you have.
In my day, pregnancy was 100% reimbursed (or rather, nothing paid up front except for a private room at the Maternité), but then I was in the French System. Logically the NHS would pay for the compulsory tests in France, but the CPAM will be able to tell you. In any case, be prepared for a lot of bureaucracy!
Good luck!
P.S. according to the following link
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...iscovered.aspx
the NHS will reimburse the routine maternity care, but not if you stay to give birth here.

Last edited by dmu; Mar 22nd 2011 at 9:28 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice. I think I will go the doctors then speak to the CPAM office to find out what I'm entitled to. If I'm not entitled to much then I will have to look at getting an E106 I think on the basis that we will be here for the long term.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

If you are living in France then you should be affiliated to the French health system or privately insured, a UK EHIC is no longer valid for treatment of any sort.

Even though you are not married I believe you may be entitled to cover via your partner.

Whichever you need to sort this out promptly otherwise it could cost you a lot of money. Are you entitled to an E106 from UK ?

I'm not sure how Ka Ora! got treatment under both an E111 and a mutuelle as the latter is really only applicable to people who are in the French health system which, by his own admission, he was not at the time. I wonder if he had an interim policy such as this http://www.exclusivehealthcare.com/p...AFLET_2011.pdf and not an actual mutuelle ?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks for this. What's the point of an EHIC then if it doesn't cover you for anything?
I might be entitled to a E106 so may have to go down that route. Does anyone know how long that process may take? Presuming I'm able to get a carte vitale via an E106, will I be able to claim for medical expenses paid out while waiting for the carte vitale?
Really appreciate the help - it's really not straightforward!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

EmilyA is an unknown quantity at this point

The EHIC is basically for people on short visits such as holidays. You need to apply for an S1 (E106) from the UK; it is based on your recent National Insurance contributions and typically lasts about two years.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:08 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
If you are living in France then you should be affiliated to the French health system or privately insured, a UK EHIC is no longer valid for treatment of any sort.

Even though you are not married I believe you may be entitled to cover via your partner.

Whichever you need to sort this out promptly otherwise it could cost you a lot of money. Are you entitled to an E106 from UK ?

I'm not sure how Ka Ora! got treatment under both an E111 and a mutuelle as the latter is really only applicable to people who are in the French health system which, by his own admission, he was not at the time. I wonder if he had an interim policy such as this http://www.exclusivehealthcare.com/p...AFLET_2011.pdf and not an actual mutuelle ?
No....... I had Mutuelle, And the e111 covered the cost of treatment. I had no other Interim policies of any sort.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

What's the point of an EHIC then if it doesn't cover you for anything?
Hi,
I've lived too long here to really know, but I think the EHIC is intended for people going to Continental Europe on holiday for a determined period, with no intention of residing long-term. The ones issued to French nationals are only valid a year.
If they decide to stay in that country, then they become residents and must organize their healthcare coverage on the spot.
The CPAM will be able to tell you exactly what your rights are, including whether you could come under your child's father's Carte Vitale. But first you must get the official attestation of pregnancy from your G.P......
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Presuming I'm able to get a carte vitale via an E106, will I be able to claim for medical expenses paid out while waiting for the carte vitale?
Yes, but expenses will be reimbursed from the date you apply to CPAM with your E106.

A word of warning, the current lead time for an E106 runs into many many weeks.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Hi

I am pretty sure you should be able to get cover under your partner's carte vitale. You do not need to be married.

There is info here
http://www.ameli.fr/assures/droits-e...yant-droit.php

Also, you would need to fill in one of these forms and take it to the CPAM

http://www.ameli.fr/fileadmin/user_u...ires/S3182.pdf

However, they may ask you if you are entitled to an S1 (E106) form in your own right, so you should contact the DWP as soon as possible and either get them to send the form to you or a letter of refusal. As soon as you take the S1 form or the Ayant Droit form to the CPAM you should obtain cover from that date.