Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know what has replaced the Fiche individuelle d'état civil?

Does anyone know what has replaced the Fiche individuelle d'état civil?

Old May 20th 2008, 10:04 am
Just Joined

galloise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone know what has replaced the Fiche individuelle d'état civil?

Hi

Can anyone help? My youngest daughter is due to sit her brevet in June. Before she sat the mock earlier this year she said the school had told her she needed a paper to show that she was entitled to be here in France and to attend school and therefore sit the exam. (If we were French this would be covered by the Livret de famille, I think.)

My first thought was the mairie, so off I trotted with all the bits of paper I thought they might need. Years ago my eldest daughter was given a fiche individuelle d'état civil for her collège, but the mairie now no longer provide this, and the very kind lady at the mairie rang up the school to tell them this. However, the next day my daughter came back saying without this paper (still unspecified) she could not sit the exam. .... Back to the mairie who suggested I ring up the education offices in Beauvais or Amiens and speak to someone there - did that, they didn't know what was wanted!

The next week I had to pick up a new passport from the British Embassy in Paris and asked them if they had anything that I could give to the school. They had never heard of this 'paper' before.

It ended up with my daughter taking her passport to school, which was accepted as we didn't have anything else, but now the whole saga is starting again. It is getting urgent as the exam is next month.

The collège she attends is private and has several foreign children so I can't believe that they have not come across this sort of thing before. Has anyone else ever experienced this, and do you know what they want?!!!!

Galloise
Old May 20th 2008, 11:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know what has replaced the Fiche individuelle d'état civil?

Originally Posted by galloise
Hi

Can anyone help? My youngest daughter is due to sit her brevet in June. Before she sat the mock earlier this year she said the school had told her she needed a paper to show that she was entitled to be here in France and to attend school and therefore sit the exam. (If we were French this would be covered by the Livret de famille, I think.)

My first thought was the mairie, so off I trotted with all the bits of paper I thought they might need. Years ago my eldest daughter was given a fiche individuelle d'état civil for her collège, but the mairie now no longer provide this, and the very kind lady at the mairie rang up the school to tell them this. However, the next day my daughter came back saying without this paper (still unspecified) she could not sit the exam. .... Back to the mairie who suggested I ring up the education offices in Beauvais or Amiens and speak to someone there - did that, they didn't know what was wanted!

The next week I had to pick up a new passport from the British Embassy in Paris and asked them if they had anything that I could give to the school. They had never heard of this 'paper' before.

It ended up with my daughter taking her passport to school, which was accepted as we didn't have anything else, but now the whole saga is starting again. It is getting urgent as the exam is next month.

The collège she attends is private and has several foreign children so I can't believe that they have not come across this sort of thing before. Has anyone else ever experienced this, and do you know what they want?!!!!

Galloise
Another example of French bureaucracy gone mad!
I checked "fiche individuelle d'état civil" on Google (France) and the second result, "Pièces d'Etat Civil et d'Identité Françaises et étrangères" said that certain Consulats (EU et al) can be requested to provide this document, so I should insist at the British Consulate if I were you.

Hope there are other parents out there who can give you a more helpful reply. Meanwhile, why don't you ask the parents of her non-French camarades how they coped with the problem?
Old May 20th 2008, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Does anyone know what has replaced the Fiche individuelle d'état civil?

Thanks for the info re the consulate. I'm in Paris next week so will ask at the embassy then.

I have asked other non-French parents but their children are younger so they have not had this problem yet, and people I know with older children did not put them in the French system but international schools, so at the moment the problem is all mine - aren't I lucky!

Old May 21st 2008, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Galloise
I think all they are asking for is a document to prove that the child is who they say they are.
When our's sat their brevet and bac, at their schools here in Normandy a few years back, all they were asked to provide was a valid picture identification. All of them took their British passports to the exams and had no problems.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:36 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Galloise
Maybe the regulations are different for private schools. Make an appointment to see the C.P.E. (Conseiller Principal d'Education) at the Collège ASAP to explain the situation and to make sure that a Passport is sufficient. If he insists on a Fiche Individuelle...., then get it down in writing and show the letter to the Consulate.
I remember having these infamous Fiches established in the past, but don't remember for what purpose, maybe nothing to do with education. But I do
remember having to gather together various documents for my daughters' Brevets and Bacs, including photocopies of their Actes de Naissance and our Livret de Famille.
Sorry I can't help you more.
Good luck to your daughter for the Brevet!
Old May 21st 2008, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks both of you for the information.

I'll make an appointment at the school and see what happens......

Galloise
Old May 21st 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both of you for the information.

I'll make an appointment at the school and see what happens......

Galloise
Will be interesting to know what they have to say - surely now with the EU, a child from another EU country has to be considered to be the same as a french child, so only ID is required?
There might be some info you can use on the French Embassy website too
http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/spip.php?article378
Good luck