Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Do we, don't we?

Wikiposts

Do we, don't we?

Old Oct 26th 2015, 8:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we, don't we?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I excelled at sciences upto A' levels (Chemistry, Physics, and Biology), but couldn't learn a foreign language if my life depended on it. I rate a C grade O' level in French as one of my greatest achievements.

As far as I can tell my sister is exactly the same. She achieved an MSc in plant pathology in the UK, and later spent seven years in France (as a trailing spouse) without ever becoming fluent enough to get a job where speaking French as the primary language was required.
There's no point in swapping anecdotes, but I maintain my opinion.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I excelled at sciences upto A' levels (Chemistry, Physics, and Biology), but couldn't learn a foreign language if my life depended on it. I rate a C grade O' level in French as one of my greatest achievements.
Regarding my academic achievements, I excelled at mucking about behind the bicycle sheds, does that count? I guess meeting up one afternoon with flirty Fifi as she was parking her Raleigh Sport went some way to my introduction and subsequent love of the French language. I still have sweet memories of playing with her sturmey-archer.......

To the OP: moving a sixteen year old set on a track towards A' levels, to a foreign country where she is not completely fluent in the language and expecting her to fulfill her academic potential, is insanity!
@ Throbster. Firstly you've chosen a pleasant area (which I know like the back of my hand).
Secondly, I totally agree with Pulaski's last comment above. In your position I would move heaven and earth to persuade your daughter to remain in UK until she at least obtains her A-levels. Following that, I'd strongly suggest exploring the possibilities of an exchange scheme with the University Centre Jean Francois Champollion at Albi, assuming you still have a particular love for the area.

I'd be interested to hear how your daughter feels about a such a radical immersion. Certainly not a walk-in-the-park; more an unexplored, intrepid, unenviable experience imho.

Finally regarding the region, it may be worth a mention that I know of a very pleasant little town-house in perfect condition to be sold complete with furniture, fittings etc. which will probably be on the market in 6-12 months time, just 4 mins walk from the university. The owner having now moved into a retirement home.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 26th 2015 at 10:22 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I just had a look at my old notebooks from lycée (British father and French mother, grew up in France), and I can't help but tell you that bringing your daughter in France who is 16 is a big mistake imo. I can upload a few pages if you want, you'd understand.

It would be far more reasonable to stay in the UK until she's 18.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 2:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyposer
Hi there

I just had a look at my old notebooks from lycée (British father and French mother, grew up in France), and I can't help but tell you that bringing your daughter in France who is 16 is a big mistake imo. I can upload a few pages if you want, you'd understand.

It would be far more reasonable to stay in the UK until she's 18.
Also, a look through "Annales du Brevet 2015", available from Amazon.fr for example, will show what level is expected of collègiens in order to go up to Lycée. And also "Annales du Bac 2015" both for the French Bac and all the other subjects, to give an idea of what the OP's daughter will face. At the end of the day, her present teachers are the ones who know whether she's capable of carrying this venture through to a pass in the Bac, however enthusiastic she may be about moving to France.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Also, a look through "Annales du Brevet 2015", available from Amazon.fr for example, will show what level is expected of collègiens in order to go up to Lycée. And also "Annales du Bac 2015" both for the French Bac and all the other subjects, to give an idea of what the OP's daughter will face. At the end of the day, her present teachers are the ones who know whether she's capable of carrying this venture through to a pass in the Bac, however enthusiastic she may be about moving to France.
Hopefully she will make the right decision. Lycée is far more difficult than Collège imo.