Reload this Page >

Disgruntled Expats

Disgruntled Expats

Old Dec 20th 2018, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Disgruntled Expats

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
I don't understand why the Flu jab can't be put in a Epipen which a pharmacist could help administer take the work load off doctors.
We had our flu jabs at the local pharmacy this year. Not quite an epipen format, still the traditional needle, but no doctor was involved. A little bit of welcome progress.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of any Brit leaving France because of the recent demonstrations either. And if I'd given thought to leaving every time there was a demonstration I'd be on permanent leave watch - just to list them this year alone would considerably wear the letters of my keyboard. A few years ago I recall that it was mentioned there are as many greves per year as there are cheeses in France, and I believe it was president de Gaulle who once said, "How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?"
For those unbelievers here are a few incredible links:
Strike calender for the month of Dec 2018
SNCF 2018
Air France 2018
Taxis 2018

Les Infirmieres 2018
Les Avocats

I'd be the first to agree that many of the concerns which led to these strikes were justified, but not the fashion in which most of the strikes were carried out, i.e. causing the maximum distruption to the general public at carefully calculated periods that would cause the most chaos. That to the best of my knowledge is not the norm in many other countries.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Dec 20th 2018 at 1:53 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham.miln
We had our flu jabs at the local pharmacy this year. Not quite an epipen format, still the traditional needle, but no doctor was involved. A little bit of welcome progress.
I'd be interested to know how much you paid for the pharmaciens jab. I believe the tv mentioned that they were charging approx 25e which is what one would pay for a doctors visit for the same service.
We received a note from the secu to collect the vaccines from the pharmacy (f.o.c.), and to contact/visit an infirmiere to administer. This we did, which was free too, as after showing our CVitale they recoupe the charges from the secu. So far still alive & kicking.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 3:49 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone noticed the extra payment you get now for using the garda pharmacies my oh was none too impressed as weekend pharmacies was one her favourite pastimes ...
Old Dec 21st 2018, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we paid 12 euros each for the flu vaccinations. There is a trial going on in the Auvergne Rhone-Alpes region : Grippe saisonnière : votre pharmacien peut vous vacciner. It worked out well for us.

There is enough gilets jaunes activity here; nothing in our village but certainly in our local towns. I can not envisage these protests being avoidable, while still being integrated into the community. Is anywhere that isolated and still habitable in France?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jsbach
I read in another thread that some of you old stagers (if I may call you that) are considering moving out of France as a result of the civil unrest.

Here in the UK there's been scant coverage of the disorder, probably because the vast majority of the media reports on Brexit - endlessly.

I spent many happy years living in France but didn't experience any unrest, so my advice here should be regarded as being general, rather than based on the sort of experiences you're currently having.

There's a unity between Trumpism, Brexit and France's current problems - it's based on too many people being at the bottom of the pile and too many people whose voices are not heard. The political class is broken. In the UK, the centre-right holds power and is stretched across conservative and social democrat views, whilst the extreme(ish) left control the Labour party. So "who can I vote for?" is the cry of many, just as it is in France.

You may have Le Pen soon, we may have Brexit.

If I were you, I wouldn't hurry back to the UK any time soon. If a second referendum is called, the socio-political consequences are huge, especially if the original vote's overturned. 15,000,000 people will feel disenfranchised, so civil unrest is almost inevitable. If Brexit happens, the remain group of 14,000,000 will feel robbed. The UK economy is likely to take a nose-dive, no matter what the right wing says.

So my two centimes worth is to advise you to stay put unless you're young enough to begin elsewhere. Or go to Spain and live amongst the Daily Mail readers.
I've got to say this is a really bad post.!

You said you never experienced any unrest while you were living in France well I guess that will rule out Paris as the place you were living cos I cant think of a time when there was not some sort of strike/Demo going on in Paris

You must have been living in France during that perfect period in 67-69 when all strikes were banned.;-)

The bolded part in the quote is probably the most stupid, nastiest and snobbish piece of crap I'll read today. Why bother posting when all you do is reiterate stupid cliches,

I suspect that at some time in your life you were part of Brain Transplant operation (as the Donor of course).

You sound exactly like a SJW, ugh pass the brown bag please
Old Jan 7th 2019, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
I've got to say this is a really bad post.!

You said you never experienced any unrest while you were living in France well I guess that will rule out Paris as the place you were living cos I cant think of a time when there was not some sort of strike/Demo going on in Paris

You must have been living in France during that perfect period in 67-69 when all strikes were banned.;-)

The bolded part in the quote is probably the most stupid, nastiest and snobbish piece of crap I'll read today. Why bother posting when all you do is reiterate stupid cliches,

I suspect that at some time in your life you were part of Brain Transplant operation (as the Donor of course).

You sound exactly like a SJW, ugh pass the brown bag please
Thank you for your erudite observations, Master of FoxHounds.

I can see I hit a nerve concerning the Daily Mail. I admit to disliking that rag-bag of lies, prejudice and disinformation which is propelled into the brains of the undiscerning on a daily basis - but really, MFH, can't you tell a good Burgundy from cheap plonk?

The cheap plonkers at the Mail have been responsible for more racist and sexist articles than any other newspaper. I suggest you Google "racism + Daily Mail" and find the truth. You could try replacing "racism" with "sexism" in the search term if you like.

But worst of all, the Mail is one of the chief architects of Brexit. Steered along by its owner, it has charted a course to influence the public against the EU for many years. There were the scare stories about the straight banana or "our British sausage" or the "350 million bus" or a host of other cheap lies to feed the unwary reader. "I read it in the papers so it must be true" has long been the saw on which the paper, insidiously, weedled its way into our lives with its propaganda of doom. So, a percentage of those who backed Brexit were spurred on/influenced by this nasty rag, owned by a man who doesn't, for tax reasons, even live in the UK!

An entirely unbiased analysis of the press's influence in the Brexit farrago can be found at

https://reutersinstitute.politics.ox...Referendum.pdf

Of course, the reasons for Brexit are enormously complex but issues of propaganda, especially when coming from overseas, should be a concern for democrats everywhere.

Thank you for your final two sentences, which provide a fascinating insight into your character.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 6:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

-----> BE admin and moderator toddles into view........

Knock off the personal jibes and insult guys.

....... BE admin & mod toddles off having subscribed to all further posts to ensure she is heard.

Old Jan 8th 2019, 9:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jsbach
Thank you for your erudite observations, Master of FoxHounds.

I can see I hit a nerve concerning the Daily Mail. I admit to disliking that rag-bag of lies, prejudice and disinformation which is propelled into the brains of the undiscerning on a daily basis - but really, MFH, can't you tell a good Burgundy from cheap plonk?

The cheap plonkers at the Mail have been responsible for more racist and sexist articles than any other newspaper. I suggest you Google "racism + Daily Mail" and find the truth. You could try replacing "racism" with "sexism" in the search term if you like.

But worst of all, the Mail is one of the chief architects of Brexit. Steered along by its owner, it has charted a course to influence the public against the EU for many years. There were the scare stories about the straight banana or "our British sausage" or the "350 million bus" or a host of other cheap lies to feed the unwary reader. "I read it in the papers so it must be true" has long been the saw on which the paper, insidiously, weedled its way into our lives with its propaganda of doom. So, a percentage of those who backed Brexit were spurred on/influenced by this nasty rag, owned by a man who doesn't, for tax reasons, even live in the UK!

An entirely unbiased analysis of the press's influence in the Brexit farrago can be found at

https://reutersinstitute.politics.ox...Referendum.pdf

Of course, the reasons for Brexit are enormously complex but issues of propaganda, especially when coming from overseas, should be a concern for democrats everywhere.

Thank you for your final two sentences, which provide a fascinating insight into your character.
Reading ability is not your strong point evidently, FWIW the implication that ALL Brits in Spain are Daily Wail readers was the trigger, however as apparently my calling you a SJW touched a nerve I’m going to go one better and say you resemble a ‘snowflake’ who as we all know, lack any sense of rational thought.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 10:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

BEVS asked you politely to stop with the personal jibes but as you do not seem to be able to do this I am closing this thread.

If you both start again with the personal insults in any other thread you are in danger of losing your posting rights for a time or permanently-

Rosemary