Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Disappearance of red postage stamps

Disappearance of red postage stamps

Old Jan 4th 2023, 3:39 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Disappearance of red postage stamps

https://www.radiofrance.fr/franceint...itaire-8122310

I heard it on the radio and have now discovered this link on another forum.
Personally it would be beyond my ability to do it at home and I, together with all those without a computer, will have to go to the Post Office each time to send urgent mail . I'll acquire green stamps for non-urgent items and hope for the best for greetings cards and cheques to pay artisans' bills.
What bothers me is the fact of having to scan one's letter (or whatever's being sent) and it being printed out in the addressee's Post Office. Privacy/confidentiality down the drain....
And original justifying documents? If the latter are to be scanned by La Poste, will the organisations requiring them accept that the individuals scan them directly?
By chance I'll be near the village post office tomorrow and will interrogate the post-lady....
Rant over!
P.S. I've just noticed the date of the link, but it passed me by, so I can't complain that there wasn't prior notice!

Last edited by dmu; Jan 4th 2023 at 3:42 am.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 11:53 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disappearance of red postage stamps

Update
I duly interrogated the post-lady this morning.
The village post office isn't equipped with scanning means, which will involve a 5 km drive into town whenever I have an urgent letter! There's a variety of paper stamps available for less urgent mail (taking from 2-3 days to be delivered), mauve Europe stamps won't change. Up to the customers to organize their snailmail....
Privacy and confidentiality is guaranteed for scanned documents (dixit the post-lady, but who's to know whether the postman is curious/prone to blackmail....
For "original" documents, it's recommended to send them by Registered Letter (with acknowledgement card), until the organisations in question issue info.
So, there are solutions for those without internet or suffering from illectronism, but at a cost. Why was I surprized that a couple of carnets cost me over 30€ this morning (and, to add insult to injury, the post office didn't have a CB machine!).
New Year's Resolution: try to become more internet-friendly!
Old Jan 5th 2023, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Happy New Year to you DMU.

I heard about this change a few months ago, so was prepared for it. Thankfully they haven't quite gone to the same extent as Royal Mail, but it is frustrating. I'm a big user of stamps - I have a few hundred of the red ones in storage. I can still use them of course, although I guess domestically they won't be as fast as they once were. I also use them to compliment any letters I need to send abroad, as it's still governed by the UPU and as long as the value is correct you can use whatever stamps you please.... I won't be using the electronic scanned service - most of the time you can just send an email instead. For letters and documents I'll stick with stamps and will accept the slightly slower postal times.

I did notice the Lettre suivi internationale for under 250g has gone up by a euro (last year it went up by 50 cents). I'd say successful tracking to the doorstep only works about 40% of the time. Usually they stop scanning at some point during the journey. I don't know why I bother paying for it.
Old Jan 8th 2023, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add that I heard it announced on the radio that in certain parts of France, from March, La Poste will only deliver every other day, with the exception of certain priority and special mailings.