Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Death in france of UK national

Death in france of UK national

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future
Default Death in france of UK national

My mother died here yesterday

I know i got moutains of papers to sort, its all so fast and impersonal

not least the "bastar�*" builders who NEVER finished her house at all for 2 years!

so i am left with all this and a house

any advice please

i'm finding this hard, she lived with me waiting on that effing house, and now?

I got not a soul here to talk to or get advice from, I dont know what I supposed to do

sorry
x
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:42 pm
Gill Palmer

Default Re: Death in france of UK national

Originally Posted by bourgogne

not least the "bastarê" builders who NEVER finished her house at all for 2 years!

any advice please

I got not a soul here to talk to or get advice from, I dont know what I supposed to do

sorry
x

Do not be sorry. You need some practical help. Where are you in France? I've got loads of French friends in and around Cherbourg (I lived there for a couple of years) so I could ask them about things on your behalf if you think it would help. They are not drongos, but people in positions of authority, so I am sure that something concrete, positive and useful can be done to help you. Please don't despair.

Right now, you've had the most god-awful shock because I know I don't believe that somebody I love might die until it has actually happened, no matter how much the medics told me to expect the worst. I simply didn't believe them, because I didn't want to, I guess.

Today is Sunday, which is a no-happen day in France, but come tomorrow morning, I'm sure things will be different. Get hold of the British High Commission in Paris and find out about Consulates near you, I suggest, plus contact the FCO in London. There is not a lot of point in paying these civil servants if they don't help when you need it. The local Maire can help with the half-built house. He wants his town/village to look nice, so you can trust him with that one, but it is not the most immediate problem right now.

Try not to feel too alone. I can and will help and lots of other people will help you as well.

Gill

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your bad news mate, but I have no idea how to help.
Do they have a sort of citizens advice bureau in France.
Or maybe the British Embassy may be able to advise you. I have just been looking on google for you but cant find much at all.
Maybe your local consolate can assist. http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/ser...=1059132497774

regards john.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jdr
Sorry to hear your bad news mate, but I have no idea how to help.
Do they have a sort of citizens advice bureau in France.
Or maybe the British Embassy may be able to advise you. I have just been looking on google for you but cant find much at all.
Maybe your local consolate can assist. http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/ser...=1059132497774

regards john.

thank people insurance and mayors office in the morning

then i got to deal with inheritance shat!!! a house the builders never finished (my prob now it seems)?? be a pleasure they are so going to get it! took her money and 2yrs later ??? trust me i'd be happy to be jailed to get them back

sad fact is the animals ......3 are hers 1 dog 2 cats. 3 dogs 2 cats mine and the DAY i'd arranged to get the newfoundland puppy she'd decided a name was excited and all was rosy ........ hours later

i'll still get that puppy, sounds sick but i must continue her desires
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck mate, sorry I cant help more.
regards john
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:22 am
Sapins

Default Re: Death in France of UK national

Originally Posted by bourgogne

not least the "bastarê" builders who NEVER finished her house at all for 2 years!

any advice please

sorry
x
First of all do you live near Bergerac? I guess from your user name it's in Burgundy.

Your first port of call should be the British Embassy and then the local Marie (Town hall) PM me if you need any more help, Very sorry to hear about your mum.

Regards,

Sapins.

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 2:44 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

Very sorry about your loss. I can only imagine how you must feel.

You do not mention if you are able to speak/read french? I hope so.

I have given you below a website which gives basic advice on what needs to be done locally, soon after a loss. Hope this is of some help.

http://www.obseques-assistance.com/s...sdemarches.htm

Le constat de décès (médecin) (doctor)
Le certificat médical
La déclaration de décès (Mairie) (town hall)

I know for a fact that you will need to contact:

a Notaire (solicitor), and obtain: certificat d’hérédité, certificat de propriété

When you meet with any officials please make sure that you have several photocopies of official documentation. I would also suggest that you get a few copies of the most important documents notorised as well, as you will need to retain the originals.

I cannot be of any further help as regards to the British Consulat Formalities abroad but I do wish you all the best during these difficult times.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanx all

sorry the delay in replying

it's just BY LAW the funeral had be by the 6th day, and had I not arranged it, they would have done it anyway.

Then i find (and i'm gonna have words) the funeral home got all her bank details FROM THE BANK!!! put a block on her account (closed it) and she has to pay for her own funeral. Well that bank are going to be reminided that the NEXT OF KIN should have been asked, and why was I told the ballance of her account by a sodding funeral director??

I had to pay out of my account the actual cremation

and this week I start on the legal stuff. Its not nice and where do you have time to even realise someone has died?? valium time

XXX
Old Jan 31st 2006, 1:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Glad to hear that you are coping in your troubled time, it seems France is similar to Spain then regarding bank accounts, I dont think they know what next of kin is, here even if its a joint account they freeze half the money until ownership is sorted. Hopefully she made a will ?
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Glad to hear that you are coping in your troubled time, it seems France is similar to Spain then regarding bank accounts, I dont think they know what next of kin is, here even if its a joint account they freeze half the money until ownership is sorted. Hopefully she made a will ?

no will in france

UK yes but 20yrs ago

so, and anyway i become by default etc

fine by me phenix wont build another house as long as i am around and AXA wont sell another life insurance ever again

life but not for death???? yes i ask that too!! I almost put the office manager through the front window

152.500 as per papers or 399,00 they are prepareed to pay!!!!!! right they are on for a loser as are maison phenix contracted to finish in ONE year .................. this is year 2 and still nothing