British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   "Death in France" from experience (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/death-france-experience-917835/)

dmu Sep 30th 2018 3:27 pm

"Death in France" from experience

So, it's happened - I'm having to deal with the shock of losing my soul-mate AND the bureaucratic aftermath.
The following confirms, from experience, what needs to be done after the death of a close one, and maybe it can be added to the FAQs thread.
The Undertakers bill you for the options of your choice. OH wanted the simplest send-off, with minimum fuss, and their bill came to less than 3000€ for a cremation without officiant, 45 km from our domicile.
I would advise couples to have joint bank accounts, otherwise the deceased's account will be frozen and the surviving partner may have financial problems, esp. paying the Undertakers' bill and the day-to-day bills, DDs, etc...
I'm presently wading through the LRARs to the organisations listed in the FAQs. Luckily the Undertakers give an information file including letters intended for them all and the deadlines for sending them - just the names and addresses and references to fill in. They mostly have to be sent LRAR, with an original copy of the Death Certificate. The Mairie gave me 15 originals....
Our car is in my name, so no problem with the Carte Grise, but I still had to inform the leasing company of my new status.
I'm leaving to last OH's 6 Caisses de Retraite - I apprehend their respective demands for other documents to support my application for the Pension de Réversion (which has to be shared pro rata with his first wife). Apparently they all take their time setting it up...
Appointment this week with my Financial Adviser about OH's Assurances-Vie.
I'll inform our Notaire this week and will relate the Succession procedure another time....
All couples out there, married or not, should be aware that this French post-death bureaucracy will be distressing when their time comes and that their French should be adequate to cope, at the same time as coping with their grief. This obviously applies to both partners. Singles should have a reliable French-speaking friend to deal with it all on behalf of UK relatives.
Thanks for reading this far, it's done me good to get it off my chest....
P.S. Thanks to Tweedpipe, I couldn't help chuckling (to myself) when they were talking about the "mise en bière". OH preferred rosé...

Novocastrian Sep 30th 2018 3:38 pm

Re: "Death in France" from experience

So sorry, dmu, for your loss. And so like you to seek to help others who may one day be in those shoes.

Courage.

grannybunz Sep 30th 2018 3:45 pm

dmu may I add my condolences. It is very brave of you to pass on the useful information.
Stay strong and know my thoughts are with you.

EuroTrash Sep 30th 2018 4:25 pm

dmu, I was so very very sad to hear of your loss.
Group hug, and bon courage.

cyrian Sep 30th 2018 5:25 pm

dmu, so sorry to hear of your loss.
Courage

graham.miln Sep 30th 2018 5:52 pm

I am sorry to hear your news. Bon courage.

BuckinghamshireBoy Sep 30th 2018 9:44 pm

dmu, please accept my condolences.

Stay strong, courage.

Annetje Sep 30th 2018 9:54 pm

dmu, I'm so sorry about your loss ! My thoughts are with you.

I know from experience all the admin involved is just too difficult at this moment.
If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to say so.

Stay strong and take care

xxx

petitefrancaise Oct 1st 2018 12:04 am

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss DMU. My sincere condolences and a big hug.

BEVS Oct 1st 2018 2:29 am

You are one strong amazing person dmu to have been kind enough to have posted the help and info to here when you are just bereaved.

Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss of your husband and soul mate.

Take good care of you.

M

Dorothy Oct 1st 2018 2:52 am

Sincere condolences on your loss.

dmu Oct 1st 2018 6:31 am

I'm overwhelmed by your thoughts, words and hugs - heartfelt thanks...
In fact, writing a sort of blog is helping me to cope. This French Bureaucracy is nerve-wracking and if I can describe it on the forum with irony/humour, it helps to chase away black thoughts...

moneypenny20 Oct 1st 2018 6:48 am

So sorry for your loss. Impressed with the undertaker guys having a pack of relevant paperwork for you. That's very helpful.

scrubbedexpat095 Oct 1st 2018 9:38 am

I'm so sorry to read this DMU, you have my deepest condolences

audio Oct 1st 2018 8:11 pm

dmu, my condolences.

So sorry for your loss.

Bon courage.