Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

"Death in France" from experience

"Death in France" from experience

Old Sep 30th 2018, 3:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Death in France" from experience

So, it's happened - I'm having to deal with the shock of losing my soul-mate AND the bureaucratic aftermath.
The following confirms, from experience, what needs to be done after the death of a close one, and maybe it can be added to the FAQs thread.
The Undertakers bill you for the options of your choice. OH wanted the simplest send-off, with minimum fuss, and their bill came to less than 3000€ for a cremation without officiant, 45 km from our domicile.
I would advise couples to have joint bank accounts, otherwise the deceased's account will be frozen and the surviving partner may have financial problems, esp. paying the Undertakers' bill and the day-to-day bills, DDs, etc...
I'm presently wading through the LRARs to the organisations listed in the FAQs. Luckily the Undertakers give an information file including letters intended for them all and the deadlines for sending them - just the names and addresses and references to fill in. They mostly have to be sent LRAR, with an original copy of the Death Certificate. The Mairie gave me 15 originals....
Our car is in my name, so no problem with the Carte Grise, but I still had to inform the leasing company of my new status.
I'm leaving to last OH's 6 Caisses de Retraite - I apprehend their respective demands for other documents to support my application for the Pension de Réversion (which has to be shared pro rata with his first wife). Apparently they all take their time setting it up...
Appointment this week with my Financial Adviser about OH's Assurances-Vie.
I'll inform our Notaire this week and will relate the Succession procedure another time....
All couples out there, married or not, should be aware that this French post-death bureaucracy will be distressing when their time comes and that their French should be adequate to cope, at the same time as coping with their grief. This obviously applies to both partners. Singles should have a reliable French-speaking friend to deal with it all on behalf of UK relatives.
Thanks for reading this far, it's done me good to get it off my chest....
P.S. Thanks to Tweedpipe, I couldn't help chuckling (to myself) when they were talking about the "mise en bière". OH preferred rosé...
Old Sep 30th 2018, 3:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Death in France" from experience

So sorry, dmu, for your loss. And so like you to seek to help others who may one day be in those shoes.

Courage.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

dmu may I add my condolences. It is very brave of you to pass on the useful information.
Stay strong and know my thoughts are with you.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

dmu, I was so very very sad to hear of your loss.
Group hug, and bon courage.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

dmu, so sorry to hear of your loss.
Courage
Old Sep 30th 2018, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sorry to hear your news. Bon courage.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:44 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

dmu, please accept my condolences.

Stay strong, courage.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:54 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

dmu, I'm so sorry about your loss ! My thoughts are with you.

I know from experience all the admin involved is just too difficult at this moment.
If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to say so.

Stay strong and take care

xxx

Old Oct 1st 2018, 12:04 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss DMU. My sincere condolences and a big hug.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 2:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You are one strong amazing person dmu to have been kind enough to have posted the help and info to here when you are just bereaved.

Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss of your husband and soul mate.

Take good care of you.

M
Old Oct 1st 2018, 2:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sincere condolences on your loss.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 6:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm overwhelmed by your thoughts, words and hugs - heartfelt thanks...
In fact, writing a sort of blog is helping me to cope. This French Bureaucracy is nerve-wracking and if I can describe it on the forum with irony/humour, it helps to chase away black thoughts...
Old Oct 1st 2018, 6:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry for your loss. Impressed with the undertaker guys having a pack of relevant paperwork for you. That's very helpful.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 9:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm so sorry to read this DMU, you have my deepest condolences
Old Oct 1st 2018, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

dmu, my condolences.

So sorry for your loss.

Bon courage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.