Just Joined

superjaja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA citizen married to a Frenchman moving to the UK

Good evening
I am an american who recently married a french man
We were married in france too
Now he has a job in London
And im not sure what documenta i need to join him in the UK
Is my livret de famille enough ... is an EEA family permit good enough.....ugh someone please help
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA citizen married to a Frenchman moving to the UK

As he is a EU citizen then I think the EEA permit is the answer. If he was a UK citizen then he'd have to jump all the hoops of a spouse visa for you!
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 8:50 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to apply for an EEA family permit. You'll need a copy of your marriage certificate, not your livret de famille. You can obtain a multilingual version of your marriage certificate (Formule B) from the mairie where you married for free or a nominal fee (it might be worth getting two or three copies to file away for future use). If your husband has been working in the UK for more than three months you'll also need to provide evidence of his employment when you apply. Once you arrive in the UK you should immediately apply for your EEA residence card. This is 'optional' but you'll find it difficult to travel in and out of the UK freely without it once your EEA family permit expires (they are valid for six months). The application for your EEA residence card can take up to six months to process during which time you will be without your passport so make sure to take photocopies of both your bio-data page and EEA family permit.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 1:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Being without a passport for 6 months would make me very anxious....

If the OP has a US passport, she still has to surrender this one? Would it be better/possible to get a french passport that she could surrender and keep her US one with her?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so so much for answering my
I really appreciate it.
Also
Can i apply for my EEA permit from france. The first part is online but as far as the interview I was hopeing to do in france so i can join my husband
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 5:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Being without a passport for 6 months would make me very anxious....

If the OP has a US passport, she still has to surrender this one? Would it be better/possible to get a french passport that she could surrender and keep her US one with her?
If she was a French citizen then they be no need to apply for anything. She could just come on over.

Originally Posted by superjaja
Thank you so so much for answering my
I really appreciate it.
Also
Can i apply for my EEA permit from france. The first part is online but as far as the interview I was hopeing to do in france so i can join my husband
You will need to apply from outside the UK, so yes. There is no interview; you only need to attend an appointment to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph).
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Do you have bring your own copy of the finger prints or is that done in office?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 5:57 pm

Do you have bring your own copy of the finger prints or is that done in office?
Your fingerprints and photo are taken at the VAC.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 6:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Good evening
I am an american ....
Do you have any recent British or European ancestry? Irish, Italian, and Hungarian ancestry are often mentioned as being particularly useful in obtaining a passport that would allow you to live in the UK without needing a visa or permit linked to your husband.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

No unfortunately i do not
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Do they take your passport away when applying for the EEA permit or is that only for the residency permit?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 7:47 pm

Do they take your passport away when applying for the EEA permit or is that only for the residency permit?
You will need to hand it in. Your EEA Family Permit will be placed inside.