Reload this Page >

Crossing the channel - Brexit incurred costs to expect

Crossing the channel - Brexit incurred costs to expect

Old Sep 9th 2016, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

bicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crossing the channel - Brexit incurred costs to expect

Hi
just wanted to find some thoughts regarding increase in paper work and prices for travelling across the channel with UK number plated vehicles,
and Pets (both with a UK and French passport).

As I travel across the channel at least twice a year with a UK minibus that spends at least 2-6 months of the year in France, will there be alot more import forms to fill out coming into France as it is leaving France?

Same with travelling with Pets, will there be more legislation for them?

Would it be better to register the vehicle in France with a French number plate?
(since brexit decision was made, my UK vehicle gets a lot more attention from steely eyed locals, as does being pulled over by the Genderm at any given opportunity - this didn't used to have)
Old Sep 9th 2016, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing the channel - Brexit incurred costs to expect

This may be able to answer those questions, as I don't think anyone else can.

Spoiler:

If your vehicle is perfectly legal re insurance, MOT etc whilst you are here, I don't see any reason to be unduly concerned. Regarding it getting more attention by the locals, that shouldn't really be a problem either imho.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Sep 9th 2016 at 3:10 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 3:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bicks
Hi
just wanted to find some thoughts regarding increase in paper work and prices for travelling across the channel with UK number plated vehicles,
and Pets (both with a UK and French passport).

As I travel across the channel at least twice a year with a UK minibus that spends at least 2-6 months of the year in France, will there be alot more import forms to fill out coming into France as it is leaving France?

Same with travelling with Pets, will there be more legislation for them?

Would it be better to register the vehicle in France with a French number plate?
(since brexit decision was made, my UK vehicle gets a lot more attention from steely eyed locals, as does being pulled over by the Genderm at any given opportunity - this didn't used to have)
Who knows what will happen, Article 50 hasn't even been triggered yet.

If you do register it in France but live in the UK, then you will be breaking UK laws as it is illegal to drive a vehicle in the UK if it is French registered and you are a UK resident.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bicks
a UK minibus that spends at least 2-6 months of the year in France,
"At least 2-6 months" - well I suppose it's a bit more precise than saying "between 0 and 12 months"...
But since it looks as if it spends between 6 and 10 months of the year in the UK, no you can't put it on French plates. A French registered vehicle isn't allowed to spend more than 6 months a year in the UK. Plus as MikeL says, technically as a UK resident you are not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK. I know you wouldn't be doing it specifically in order to avoid paying road tax but that would be one of the consequences that you'd benefit from, hence the UK does not permit you to do it.

Beyond that, I think all your questions are wide open to speculation.

Perhaps English dogs will have to pass a French test before they're allowed across the border, to make sure they understand the French for "sit", "walkies", "no barking", "dogs not allowed" and "poop scoop".
Old Sep 10th 2016, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
"At least 2-6 months" - well I suppose it's a bit more precise than saying "between 0 and 12 months"...
But since it looks as if it spends between 6 and 10 months of the year in the UK, no you can't put it on French plates. A French registered vehicle isn't allowed to spend more than 6 months a year in the UK. Plus as MikeL says, technically as a UK resident you are not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK. I know you wouldn't be doing it specifically in order to avoid paying road tax but that would be one of the consequences that you'd benefit from, hence the UK does not permit you to do it.

Beyond that, I think all your questions are wide open to speculation.

Perhaps English dogs will have to pass a French test before they're allowed across the border, to make sure they understand the French for "sit", "walkies", "no barking", "dogs not allowed" and "poop scoop".
I'm already well advanced with my Trotters Independent Traders (TIT) sponsored, entrepreneurship dog-training program. And it's looking promising. Here's my latest post-Brexit potential champion; a very well-trained ramasse-crotteur.......
Spoiler:
Old Sep 10th 2016, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.
What's he going to do with it he gets it into the scoop, though? (I hope you're not going to say 'lob it as far across the park as he can' )
Old Sep 10th 2016, 3:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.
What's he going to do with it he gets it into the scoop, though? (I hope you're not going to say 'lob it as far across the park as he can' )
The country's gone to the dogs.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The country's gone to the dogs.
Oh no not another barking mad thread
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh no not another barking mad thread
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

bicks is an unknown quantity at this point

lMFAO thanks for all the info!