Covid testing

Old Sep 9th 2020, 9:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Covid testing

My wife and I, both without symptoms, had free covid tests this morning at the local laboratoire, 15 minutes walk from our house. We have to fly to UK on Friday to move my 91 year old father-in-law and we wanted the results before we flew out, just in case. I booked through doctorlib last week and we could have had tests that day if we wanted. I was told the results should be through in 36 hours, 48 at worst. I also had an antibody test in the local pharmacie for 15 euro and a 5 minute wait. Thank god we live in France. I understand it must be more difficult in high density places like Paris and rural communities may have to travel further, but everything I've read of the testing program in the UK makes me so grateful we live here.
For anyone interested there is a fantastic, 20 minute TED lecture by the interestingly named Larry Brilliant. He was one of the main figures in the WHO program that rid the world of killer smallpox in its last hold out, India. Of course, the world is a different place now from what it was then, but I believe his basic message still holds true. The only way to stop a pandemic is to find everyone who has it, isolate them and hopefully cure them. And the only way to achieve that is through testing. Everything else is just kicking the can down the road.
I hope you're all managing to stay safe.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid testing

Matt Hancock has just this morning blamed the collapse of England's test and trace system on "people booking tests when they don't need them". I despair.

You are aware that even if you have a clean bill of health you will still have to quarantine for a fortnight after you arrive in the UK, aren't you.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 10:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
You are aware that even if you have a clean bill of health you will still have to quarantine for a fortnight after you arrive in the UK, aren't you.
Yes we're aware of the rules. We had vague plans to downsize my father-in-laws house and free up some capital for his and my mother-in-law's care, but covid pushed them back. Then a medical emergency brought it all forward. We certainly wouldn't have chosen to go through all this during a pandemic, but we have no choice. We have been advised that no matter if any more lockdowns come in, we will still be able to move house and it will be weeks after the 2 week quarantine.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 10:17 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alianco
My wife and I, both without symptoms, had free covid tests this morning at the local laboratoire, 15 minutes walk from our house. We have to fly to UK on Friday to move my 91 year old father-in-law and we wanted the results before we flew out, just in case. I booked through doctorlib last week and we could have had tests that day if we wanted. I was told the results should be through in 36 hours, 48 at worst. I also had an antibody test in the local pharmacie for 15 euro and a 5 minute wait. Thank god we live in France. I understand it must be more difficult in high density places like Paris and rural communities may have to travel further, but everything I've read of the testing program in the UK makes me so grateful we live here.
For anyone interested there is a fantastic, 20 minute TED lecture by the interestingly named Larry Brilliant. He was one of the main figures in the WHO program that rid the world of killer smallpox in its last hold out, India. Of course, the world is a different place now from what it was then, but I believe his basic message still holds true. The only way to stop a pandemic is to find everyone who has it, isolate them and hopefully cure them. And the only way to achieve that is through testing. Everything else is just kicking the can down the road.
I hope you're all managing to stay safe.
That's interesting!
I didn't know you could have an antibody test in a pharmacie? No one mentions this on the French radio/TV.... I'll make enquiries - this seems just as useful as finding out whether or not you're Covid-positive, and simpler....
Old Sep 9th 2020, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dmu
That's interesting!
I didn't know you could have an antibody test in a pharmacie? No one mentions this on the French radio/TV.... I'll make enquiries - this seems just as useful as finding out whether or not you're Covid-positive, and simpler....
I didn't know either. We just happened to be in there and I saw a sign saying I could book a test. When I asked about it the pharmacist said he would do it there and then. I'd had a really nasty flu in January and just wondered if it was undiagnosed covid.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

That is really good to know. After a few days with a headache, feeling VERY tired I'm starting to wonder ...............................

what is the difference between the antibody test and the other test at the lab? Did it hurt???
Old Sep 9th 2020, 4:06 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clothmama
That is really good to know. After a few days with a headache, feeling VERY tired I'm starting to wonder ...............................

what is the difference between the antibody test and the other test at the lab? Did it hurt???
I asked my pharmacienne neighbour and Alianco will confirm that it's prick on a finger for a mini blood test. The lab tests look horrific, with someone pushing a long "coton-tige" up a nostril...
If I were you, I'd consult your GP, your symptoms could be anything....
Old Sep 9th 2020, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

As dmu says, the antibody test is just a finger prick and a 5 minute wait for the result. It simply says if you have had covid-19 before and it has left a fingerprint so to speak in the form of antibodies left over from fighting it.
The nasal test is unpleasant, but not really painful as such. More eyewatering than anything, but soon over. A very small price to pay for peace of mind, but you may still want to take dmu's advice and consult your doctor first.
Just to add to my admiration for the french healthcare service my result came through just 10 hours after the test. Negative thankfully.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

I've spoken to my pharmacy and they dont' do any testing and told me to go online, fill in the form then book at our local lab. I've done that and have an appointment for tomorrow morning.

That is reassuring about the test being unpleasant rather than painful.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 2:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We're heading back to the UK on Sunday via Le Shuttle because Nova has some medical appointments in October. We're going 2 weeks early because of quarantine but we'll take 2+ weeks of essential supplies with us from France. You know, wine and err food. However if Boris manages to **** up in October we'll come back in November with a view to staying permanently. I will annoy you all with questions about all sorts of things that I should already know if that happens.. dmu...forewarned is forearmed.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

We had to complete the online form (within 48 hours prior to departure) which lists where you have been outside the UK.
Mid-August they weren't interested in the form at passport control which may have changed now.
Because of reduced volumes in Le Shuttle at the moment, you may be offered an earlier departure if you arrive at the suggested earliest time of arrival which is 90 minutes before your departure.
We returned just before the lockdown in August and it was somewhat chaotic because everyone was heading home asap.
An earlier train had been cancelled which meant that there were 2 trainloads of cars trying to get onto our train.
We ended up being bumped onto the following train which departed 20 minutes late.
Great fun
Old Sep 10th 2020, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyrian
We had to complete the online form (within 48 hours prior to departure) which lists where you have been outside the UK.
This is something different, it is the gouv.fr form that you fill in with your details, symptoms etc that goes direct to the lab' you use. They are then able to access all the info without wasting time sat with you doing it all.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I came over to France on the shuttle last Monday.
All seemed normal apart from being unusually quiet. No checks coming into France. No changes to the times, I travelled on the train I was booked on. They tell you not to arrive more than 2 hours earlier and say you will be charged for parking if you do.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is something different, it is the gouv.fr form that you fill in with your details, symptoms etc that goes direct to the lab' you use. They are then able to access all the info without wasting time sat with you doing it all.
No This is the online form to tell them what countries you have been in before your return to identify people who have been in a country that the government requires self-isolation for 14 days.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyrian
No This is the online form to tell them what countries you have been in before your return to identify people who have been in a country that the government requires self-isolation for 14 days.
Sorry I have a 39c fever and got muddled thinking your were replying to my comment!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.