Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Covid test to enter

Covid test to enter

Old Feb 7th 2022, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Covid test to enter

I am rapidly losing my sense of humour with this covid malarkey!
first I signed up on the Randox app so I can order a test - came to order the test and its aid I wasn’t “authorised “ to use this test!
so - signed up elsewhere and test being delivered tomorrow - hopefully.
HOWEVER……
now I’m trying to find out when this test needs to be taken. French gov site states it’s within 48 hours of departure for entering France.(fully vaccinated)
my ferry company (dfds) insist it is 24 hours - I phoned to check and the lady was adamant.
I wonder if there’s anyone on here who has recently done the trip that actually knows which it is 24 or 48?
24 is pushing it but it’s f 48 isn’t accepted….
thanks
Old Feb 7th 2022, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Covid test to enter

The official authoritative site for travelling to France from the United Kingdom is https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/co...n/royaume-uni/ :

Les voyageurs de douze ans ou plus justifiant d’un schéma vaccinal completen provenance du Royaume-Uni à destination du territoire français doivent présenter à l’embarquement le résultat négatif d’un test PCR ou d’un test antigénique (TAG) réalisé moins de 48 heures avant le départ.
You can fulfil this requirement with a TAG bought online from Boots COVID-19 testing service, currently 15 GBP. You perform the test yourself, photograph the result and submit it online, then a few hours later you get the required certificate.

Is it possible the ferry staff are commenting about their requirements to travel on their vessels?
Old Feb 7th 2022, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reply Graham - the ferry company gives a link to what is required by France - they say nothing about it being their separate requirement but EVERYTHING is so vague these days.
Old Feb 7th 2022, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is from the Le Shuttle Eurotunnel website today:
Fully Vaccinated Passengers
1. French health declarations
To enter France you must complete the following forms which can be found on the French Home Office website. Please read all the requirements detailed on this page and SELECT TRAVEL TO/FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM, which is listed after the world map.This must be completed for all passengers and presented digitally or printed to border control authorities.

For more information regarding travel to and from the UK and France please visit:
Coronavirus - Advice for Foreign Nationals in France – French Consulate in London (uk.ambafrance.org)
2. Negative COVID tests
All passengers over 12 years of age require a negative result from a non-NHS PCR test or a non-NHS Antigen (lateral flow) test taken no more than 48 hours before travel (find a private test provider).

At French border controls you will need to present digital or paper evidence of the negative result from the private test provider.

Just wait until you get to France.
We were refused service for a coffee in an outdoor cafe because our QR codes were (at that time) not compatible with the French tousanticovid app.
You can download the app and scan your QR code if you want.
You can also download the TAC Verif app which is what the cafes and restaurants use to verify your QR code.
It is a real problem where the rules vary form country-to-country.
Good luck
Old Feb 7th 2022, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Cyrian
ive just received a reply to my email from dfds - the apologise for the error and say it is definitely 48hours!
Old Feb 7th 2022, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

When I came back last month the requirement was 24 hours. I booked an appointment at a Lloyds pharmacy on my route from my departure point to the port, stopped off, took the test, did a bit of shopping while the test did its thing, collected the certificate 20 minutes later and continued my journey to the port. It really was no hassle at all.
Maybe cost slightly over the odds, I think it was about £29, but for the sheer convenience I would do this again.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone
I booked and paid for an at home test that advertised in big writing that the results were available 15 minutes after uploading the photo of test - ideal when I thought requirement was 24 hours…..
yes…
but
these sharks really need to be investigated-
I then get a confirmation email telling me that the time to receive certification could be up to 5 to 12 hours after uploading so I must be aware of timings!
seriously!ll
Thanks for info about Lloyds pharmacy ET - I have booked a backup appointment with local branch on my day of departure - just in case the other crowd blacklist me after the very strong email I sent them!
Old Feb 8th 2022, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzer70
Thanks everyone
I booked and paid for an at home test that advertised in big writing that the results were available 15 minutes after uploading the photo of test - ideal when I thought requirement was 24 hours…..
yes…
but
these sharks really need to be investigated-
I then get a confirmation email telling me that the time to receive certification could be up to 5 to 12 hours after uploading so I must be aware of timings!
seriously!ll
Thanks for info about Lloyds pharmacy ET - I have booked a backup appointment with local branch on my day of departure - just in case the other crowd blacklist me after the very strong email I sent them!
Yes I also looked at a couple of these home tests and like you I thought it was misleading the way they tell you in big letters that the results are available in 15 mins, which of course they will be because that's how long it takes the chemicals to work, and they use small print when it comes to telling you how long it will be before you actually get your certificate. Whereas if you go to Lloyds, they produce the certificate there and then as soon as test has finished processing.
I'm sure your home test will deliver, lots of people seem to use them, but to me it just seemed like an extra job and added stress that I didn't want, I thought it would be far more serene to simply set off half an hour earlier that I otherwise would have, and get the test done en route. I don't know if all Lloyds do it the same but the one I went to, they basically gave me a test and told me to test myself, so there is no difference there, it's still a self-test, the only difference is that you don't have to mess about with technology and you don't have to wait for them to send your certificate.