Reload this Page >

Cost of utilities and insurances in France

Cost of utilities and insurances in France

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

linda and nick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of utilities and insurances in France

Hi,
We are thinking of moving back to France after living here in the USA for 5 years. Could anyone give us an approximate idea of the cost of electricity, water, home insurance and car insurance now. There is only the two of us and we will be buying a very modest 2 bedroom house and driving a medium-sized car.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of utilities and insurances in France

Originally Posted by linda and nick
Hi,
We are thinking of moving back to France after living here in the USA for 5 years. Could anyone give us an approximate idea of the cost of electricity, water, home insurance and car insurance now. There is only the two of us and we will be buying a very modest 2 bedroom house and driving a medium-sized car.
I'm not the best one to reply perhaps, but I can compare those costs to Canada, if not America. Electricity (although I think you'd find you'd be using less of it) about the same, water also. Home insurance and car insurance cheaper by a considerable fraction.

HTH.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linda and nick
Hi,
It is very difficult to make comparisons between countries.
What exchange rate do you use for comparison?
The only meaningful way is to compare costs with respect to (average ?)income.
It depends on the type of house and levels of insulation and outside temperature; where you live; do you include aircon etc.
Have you considered city taxes and sales tax at 19.6%?
How about healthcare costs?
You are quite correct to become as well informed as possible before your move but people can only give you examples of what they pay.
I pay about 1800€ for city taxes and 400€ for comprehensive insurance for a small car; 90€ a year for bank account plus 37€ a year for a bank card.
We also pay 400€ a year for internet/phone(calls included).
IMHO prices have risen in France in the last 5 - 10 years for all costs including food.
Good luck with your move.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

I don't think a comparison is being sought necessarily, just the current costs as requested.

Electricity is easy.

http://"http://bleuciel.edf.com/abon...eu-47798.html"

As is water.

http://www.prixdeleau.fr

Remember though that the costs shown will be for properties on mains drainage which makes then up to 3x higher than the base cost/m3 so to minimise living expenses it's better to choose a property with an up to standard fosse septique and no chance of going on mains - like mine where I pay a little over €1/m3

Insurances are trickier because prices will vary depending on car and driver history and for property area, type, size etc, but as a ballpark number say about €300 each.

If you lived here 5 years ago, about the same length of time we have lived here, then presumably you have some idea of the cost of living then and if you multiplied that by say 1.25 you probably won't be a million miles out.

Whether exchange rates are of any consequence is something only you know.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

linda and nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Im-and Er. It is 6 years since we lived in the Limousin and all of our bills and costings etc are in England tucked away in my daughter's attic and we have completely forgotten how much we used to pay. I think old age is setting in unfortunately!
The websites you mentioned will be a great help.
Thanks also to others who have replied.