Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Corporal Punishment

Wikiposts

Corporal Punishment

Old Nov 9th 2012, 9:42 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanya
It worries me that attitudes that were accepted a the norm ten years ago are now ridiculed and derided.

Your remark about bullfighting is worrying too: surely this great tradition is not under threat in Spain, is it? My grandmother used to love it when she
Well the attitudes have not changed in 10 years, more like 30-40 years.

The bulls would be less worried about my remarks than you.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Nov 9th 2012 at 10:58 pm. Reason: Fixed Quote Tags
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corporal Punishment

....Your remark about bullfighting is worrying too: surely this great tradition is not under threat in Spain, is it? My grandmother used to love it when she visited. Vanya (not a Troll!)
If you honestly think that bullfighting is a great tradition, I for one am not sorry to hear that you were beaten in school - and a great pity I wasn't one of the teachers - I may even have armed myself with a pica against you.
I am thoroughly ashamed to admit I have been to a bullfight - once. Never again! I was working in Toulouse France, and had a weekend free, and driving past the bullring, stopped, parked, joined the queue and eventually entered. What an absolute bloodbath! I left very early, and for the rest of the day I felt positively sick. It was one of the most inhumane things I had ever seen.

Bullfighting is indeed under a huge threat in Spain - and rightly so. It must have been at least 5 years ago that live bullfight coverage was suspended by the Spanish state tv in order to spare children the gore. I believe a law was recently passed banning bullfighting in Cataluna, and the closure of the Barcelona arena reflects the rapid decline of that public spectacle in Spain.
And your granny sounds a dear old soul, but what a pity she wasn't born in Rome some 2000 years ago, to enjoy other charming blood 'sports'.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
If you honestly think that bullfighting is a great tradition, I for one am not sorry to hear that you were beaten in school - and a great pity I wasn't one of the teachers - I may even have armed myself with a pica against you.
I am thoroughly ashamed to admit I have been to a bullfight - once. Never again! I was working in Toulouse France, and had a weekend free, and driving past the bullring, stopped, parked, joined the queue and eventually entered. What an absolute bloodbath! I left very early, and for the rest of the day I felt positively sick. It was one of the most inhumane things I had ever seen.

Bullfighting is indeed under a huge threat in Spain - and rightly so. It must have been at least 5 years ago that live bullfight coverage was suspended by the Spanish state tv in order to spare children the gore. I believe a law was recently passed banning bullfighting in Cataluna, and the closure of the Barcelona arena reflects the rapid decline of that public spectacle in Spain.
And your granny sounds a dear old soul, but what a pity she wasn't born in Rome some 2000 years ago, to enjoy other charming blood 'sports'.

You are entitled to your opinion, as we all are, but why be ashamed If you don't like bullfighting (or fox hunting, for that matter) you need not attend. My do peoplethink they should interfere with traditional ways of life?

Our parents and grandparents (who fought two world wars to preserve British traditions and its way of life) must be turning in their graves on this Armistice Day) at the state of the country today.

I have moved this thread to the 'outside' section as I was severely criticised for posting in this section.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 2:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved this thread to the 'outside' section as I was severely criticised for posting in this section.
Err, no you haven't. BTW, are you Quo Vadis from the grauniad talk?