Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Corporal Punishment

Wikiposts

Corporal Punishment

Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice
Default Re: Corporal Punishment

Remember, I live in Russia now, and only hear of the west's activities through the radio
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:23 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vanya
I'm not sure what you are all driving at. I speak the truth: i was there in the 1960's - were you? What bothers me is the complete change of attitudes . How dare you call we a troll. Do you so accuse anyone you don't approve of? f I had posted this 40 years ago i would have been applauded. I challenge anyone to deny this fact. What has happened in 40 years?

Vanya - a true patriot from Russia, who used to be a true Brit!
So it's a discussion about the UK attitudes then..?
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

Its a discussion about the substantive point.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:48 am
Account Closed

balding_potter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shard
BP what do you dislike about Mr Gove? Most of his reforms are aimed at raising educational standards, and that can't be a bad thing?
His reforms are aimed at privatising education. In the same way that the NHS reforms are aimed at privatising health. Two things that shouldn't be sacrificed on the altar of the profit motive.

Nothing wrong with raising educational standards, of course. But today saw the leak of a draft of the new National Curriculum to the TES. Quite frankly, it is a shameful document. Go and read about it, and then try to appreciate the outraged reaction of education professionals to it.

B_P
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:53 am
Account Closed

It's not about political correctness, it's about humanity. We (in the West) have moved on surely. There are many other non-physical ways to punish.
Absolutely spot on. Except that the concept of 'punishment' turns out to be very unhelpful, full stop. Look at Steiner schools.

B_P
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, I'm not sure why the OP posted such a thread on the France forum, but he/she isn't a troll.
Does a good impression of one, then.

Originally Posted by dmu
And I wish I were sitting in an over-warm room. Our stone house is difficult to heat!
Quite mild still, here in the Correze. The little woodburner has overdone its duty today!

B_P
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:56 am
Account Closed

Remember, I live in Russia now, and only hear of the west's activities through the radio
Why? Don't you have the interwebs?

B_P
Old Nov 9th 2012, 6:58 am
Account Closed

How dare you call we a troll. Do you so accuse anyone you don't approve of?
Erm.. yeah, pretty much, to be honest...

B_P
Old Nov 9th 2012, 7:26 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what you are all driving at. I speak the truth: i was there in the 1960's - were you? What bothers me is the complete change of attitudes . How dare you call we a troll. Do you so accuse anyone you don't approve of? f I had posted this 40 years ago i would have been applauded. I challenge anyone to deny this fact. What has happened in 40 years?

Vanya - a true patriot from Russia, who used to be a true Brit!
What has prompted this tirade? True patriot of where? As KO has said what is the point of this rant (my take on your words, not his) on the French forum?

Let's beat our children into submission. Let's take the fingers off the taggers, let's chop the feet off the crazy drivers, let's rip the tongues out of the verbal abusers. You will conform. You will obey.

Now a Russian patriot? Let's discuss democracy, let's discuss freedom to express your views (there and here), let's talk about a free press (where I have significant history). No-one wants to insult you on this site, but for me I am lost about where you are coming from; unless your childhood and school abuse is triggering something you want to get off your 'chest', so to speak.

Please believe this is a tolerant site, it is about sharing knowledge (okay soft stuff, but it damn well helps me and I suspect many others).Yours is a debate we all have memories of (I have shared some of mine, only some mind you), but I don't get what you want to discuss.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 7:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
but I don't get what you want to discuss.
He's been known to pop up on the Canada forum too for no obvious reason. His magnum opus can be summed up as "Dogs. Country's gone to".

Recommendation? Ignore.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 7:56 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
He's been known to pop up on the Canada forum too for no obvious reason. His magnum opus can be summed up as "Dogs. Country's gone to".

Recommendation? Ignore.
Advice taken.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 9:00 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what you are all driving at. I speak the truth: i was there in the 1960's - were you? What bothers me is the complete change of attitudes . How dare you call we a troll. Do you so accuse anyone you don't approve of? f I had posted this 40 years ago i would have been applauded. I challenge anyone to deny this fact. What has happened in 40 years? Vanya - a true patriot from Russia, who used to be a true Brit!
Vanya, attitudes have changed in the UK, and most believe for the better. It may be harder to appreciate if you have been away for such a long time and in a different culture (Russia, I think). It is an odd analogy, but think of bull fighting in Spain; many Spainards regard it as cultural heritage and are oblivious to modern day ideas about animal cruelty, but that is because they are in Spain, and slowly as Europeans that is starting to change too.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 9:10 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by balding_potter
Nothing wrong with raising educational standards, of course. But today saw the leak of a draft of the new National Curriculum to the TES. Quite frankly, it is a shameful document. Go and read about it, and then try to appreciate the outraged reaction of education professionals to it. B_P
Well I was rather hoping that you would enlighten me BP, so I don 't have to read the draft National Curriculum and can spend more time posting inane comments on BE!

I know that previously Gove introduced an EBac standard/qualification, and that struck me as a very good idea. I think Britain has swung far too much toward the "soft" end of education, with A-levels in subjects that students in Russia, China, Estonia and many other competitor nations would find laughable. I don't buy the argument that not every student is academic so doesn't need to study hard subjects; I think all should study those subject to the best of their ability, rather than non-educating themselves on vocational or hobby subjects.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya, attitudes have changed in the UK, and most believe for the better. It may be harder to appreciate if you have been away for such a long time and in a different culture (Russia, I think). It is an odd analogy, but think of bull fighting in Spain; many Spainards regard it as cultural heritage and are oblivious to modern day ideas about animal cruelty, but that is because they are in Spain, and slowly as Europeans that is starting to change too.
It seems attitudes have changed greatly in ten years or more, beyond recognition. I am raising a serious point and did it on this thread because I still have a house in France. The administrators will not allow a Russian thread, because they say there are not enough people to warrant one.

If people don't want to discuss the substantive point I raised, they need not contribute. That is why I began a new thread only to receive several rude comments. I'm not even sure what a Troll is: it seems to have several definitions.

If you don't want me to contribute to the Canada posts, I won't. I did not know we are not allowed to join in discussions from other countries. But until we can get a Russian board what can I do?

It worries me that attitudes that were accepted a the norm ten years ago are now ridiculed and derided.

Your remark about bullfighting is worrying too: surely this great tradition is not under threat in Spain, is it? My grandmother used to love it when she visited.

Vanya (not a Troll!)
Old Nov 9th 2012, 9:25 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I am raising a serious point and did it on this thread because I still have a house in France.
You could post it on the Take It Outside forum, which is made for controversial subjects and, as a bonus, you'd get world-wide response, not just from us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.