Coronavirus

Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coronavirus

Unlike other forums, no one has started a dedicated thread on the COVID-19. If I've taken the plunge, it's because it's getting uncomfortably close to home - some cases only 30 km away at the time of writing.
I've sudenly found myself in the category of "the aged and vulnerable" (dixit Prés. Macron) and am now self-isolated, with all of my Senior activities cancelled until further notice, no more outings, cinema, and a trip within France postponed. Indispensable shopping only... (but, since there are two lists in my Commune, I'll still be going to vote tomorrow, armed iwth my own non-contaminated pen to sign the register!)
It's a strange sensation, almost a war-time scenario but worse, as the enemy is invisible. Thank goodness for modern technology to keep in virtual touch!
Any of you in the same disconcerting situation?
Old Mar 14th 2020, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Hi DMU,
Not sure how many officially listed having the virus in Herault, but in our Dept (an hour from Toulouse) the last I heard there were 3 persons reported as contaminated and quarantined. So no, probably not in exactly the same disconcerting situation. You've probably already seen THIS related link.
In your position, can you not get goods delivered from one of the main supermarket chains or stores in your nearby town? This is what many are now doing, and we may too.
Now I believe that you live in a hameau, which leads me to a little useless trivial information which I only picked up yesterday. What's the difference between a hamlet and a village?
I'm sure you know, but many other's won't..........

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 14th 2020 at 10:08 am.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 11:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Hi DMU,
Not sure how many officially listed having the virus in Herault, but in our Dept (an hour from Toulouse) the last I heard there were 3 persons reported as contaminated and quarantined. So no, probably not in exactly the same disconcerting situation. You've probably already seen THIS related link.
In your position, can you not get goods delivered from one of the main supermarket chains or stores in your nearby town? This is what many are now doing, and we may too.
Now I believe that you live in a hameau, which leads me to a little useless trivial information which I only picked up yesterday. What's the difference between a hamlet and a village?
I'm sure you know, but many other's won't..........
Thanks for that link which wasn't the one I saw, and much more informative..
I can/am allowed to go out shopping, but must avoid contact with people as much as possible. The local supermarkets do deliver, but I haven't got to that point yet! And luckily I've got good neighbours, if necessary....
As for an "hameau", it's a collection of dwellings distant from, but attached to, a small rural Commune (village) where the Mairie is located. Another bit of useless trivial info - a "village" becomes a "ville" when its population exceeds 2000. And a "bourg" seems to be between a small village and a ville.

Old Mar 14th 2020, 2:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Thanks for that link which wasn't the one I saw, and much more informative..
I can/am allowed to go out shopping, but must avoid contact with people as much as possible. The local supermarkets do deliver, but I haven't got to that point yet! And luckily I've got good neighbours, if necessary....
As for an "hameau", it's a collection of dwellings distant from, but attached to, a small rural Commune (village) where the Mairie is located. Another bit of useless trivial info - a "village" becomes a "ville" when its population exceeds 2000. And a "bourg" seems to be between a small village and a ville.
Thanks dmu. That's far more interesting than covid-19.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 14th 2020 at 3:06 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 4:50 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
And a "bourg" seems to be between a small village and a ville.

Round here a "bourg" can be a road with a couple of houses on in the middle of nowhere...

We have 5 cases in the Dept and one is 13 kms up the road. Im going to build a cupboard under the stairs to hide in and a three year 3 old frozen pork pie which I'm going to eat before I die.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

The definition that I read indicated that (in UK) a hamlet is typically a small village that does not have a church. This distiction however is not seen in the USA, where a small settlement like a hamlet may have some religious building.
Back onto useless trivial information, Michael Caine is a great source, as witnessed by the following clip - a particular favourite of mine. Imo well worth watching from the beginning, or for those who are impatient wind on to 8:20. Enjoy!
Old Mar 14th 2020, 7:08 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
The definition that I read indicated that (in UK) a hamlet is typically a small village that does not have a church. <snip>...
That was the exactly the clarification that I was hoping to read vis-a-vis potential differences between FR and UK definitions of hameau/hamlet; no church or no Mairie.

In parts of South Buckinghamshire (in the 80's) the term hameau/hamlet was used to refer to a set of dwellings that did not include a Public House, sometimes also known as a 'Nopointer'.

Keep well people.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly all these pandemics ultimately seem to stem from bad practices with the keeping (and/or eating) of animals; you'd think we'd have learnt by now. I believe the Spanish flu largely targeted the 18-25's and those with very healthy immune systems, and now this one a different group again. Certainly feels like strange times we're living in.

In Nouvelle-Aquitaine there's a number of cases, but they are spread out over a large area.

With this latest announcement of the closure of bars/restaurants and other non-essentials, does anybody know if La Poste will continue to operate and is considered essential? Can things still be periodically dropped into a letterbox? Just need to know if I have to stop part of my business or not. If I can drop it in a box, I needn't interact with anybody else.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 7:00 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Nearly all these pandemics ultimately seem to stem from bad practices with the keeping (and/or eating) of animals; you'd think we'd have learnt by now. I believe the Spanish flu largely targeted the 18-25's and those with very healthy immune systems, and now this one a different group again. Certainly feels like strange times we're living in.

In Nouvelle-Aquitaine there's a number of cases, but they are spread out over a large area.

With this latest announcement of the closure of bars/restaurants and other non-essentials, does anybody know if La Poste will continue to operate and is considered essential? Can things still be periodically dropped into a letterbox? Just need to know if I have to stop part of my business or not. If I can drop it in a box, I needn't interact with anybody else.
Have no idea if the Post will stay open but the way this panic is taking a grip we will all soon be ordered to stand under a disinfectant shower 24hrs a day!!!! Yes, it is serious but for heavens sake keep some sort of perspective!!! Normal hygiene methods that you would, or should have, been taking to combat flu and colds should have been the norm. Instead we now have panic and absurd things happening in Supermarkets and other places. Incidentally there are still mass gatherings going on. The yellow vests held their weekly riot in Paris, though of course, that doesn't suit the Governments panic strategy at all to report it. No doubt this post will be critiqued as it doesn't follow the common panic thread, so be it. I'm 73 by the way and if the government are right I'm in the 'death group' Am I worried, of course I am but then again ordinary flu is just as dangerous to me. I do, and have always, at this time of the year taken normal hygiene precautions to avoid the flu; this is no different. Stop panicking and get a grip of yourselves.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 7:52 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Im going to build a cupboard under the stairs to hide in and a three year 3 old frozen pork pie which I'm going to eat before I die.
Please tell me you've kept aside enough Branston pickle to go with that
Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:35 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can't remember how to do multi-quotes, so I hope I don't forget anything.
A French hameau may or may not have a church. Mine hasn't, but 4 of the others attached to the Commune have. And hameaux often have a former Primary School room, now used for meetings and activities. Nowadays the Communal Maternelle/Primaire is in the main part of the Commune where the Mairie/Church/Post Office are.
All Administrations are open (at the time of writing), including La Poste.
I wasn't aware that anyone was panicking here (except possibly CS), I for one am simply disconcerted (and when you're in the "vulnerable" category, it's permitted to be a tad worried....)
I duly went along to vote this morning - our little Commune organised the voting procedure very well, in accordance with all the official instructions, and the atmosphere was good-natured. Afterwards I discovered to my surprise that the local Superette was open (opportunists?) and I did some shopping to save going into town tomorrow. I don't know whether markets will be open, but in my nearest town, the stalls are already few and far between when the weather is bad, due to lack of customers, and the holders don't find it worthwhile to pay the fee.
Bon dimanche to all!
Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:52 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I can't remember how to do multi-quotes, so I hope I don't forget anything.
A French hameau may or may not have a church. Mine hasn't, but 4 of the others attached to the Commune have. And hameaux often have a former Primary School room, now used for meetings and activities. Nowadays the Communal Maternelle/Primaire is in the main part of the Commune where the Mairie/Church/Post Office are.
All Administrations are open (at the time of writing), including La Poste.
I wasn't aware that anyone was panicking here (except possibly CS), I for one am simply disconcerted (and when you're in the "vulnerable" category, it's permitted to be a tad worried....)
I duly went along to vote this morning - our little Commune organised the voting procedure very well, in accordance with all the official instructions, and the atmosphere was good-natured. Afterwards I discovered to my surprise that the local Superette was open (opportunists?) and I did some shopping to save going into town tomorrow. I don't know whether markets will be open, but in my nearest town, the stalls are already few and far between when the weather is bad, due to lack of customers, and the holders don't find it worthwhile to pay the fee.
Bon dimanche to all!
Presumably you are French, at least by naturalisation and were allowed to vote. I had that right withdrawn since Brexit. As for the 'panic' I suppose it may need defining a tad. My bike club has suspended all bike rides, that in my view, is panicking!!! There are many other examples too not least of which are the closing of restaurants (Pizza shops!!) Just what are hoteliers going to do if their guests can't eat!!! Panic, yes that is my definition. Panic doesn't necessarily mean you run off screaming down the road!!! No doubt though that will soon be happening the way people are behaving!

Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DMU, I need to send some registered post this week, so I'm hoping the one in town is open as normal.

Our local market sellers are taking orders online, so you can buy a crate of fruit/veg for example, of your choosing, and then there's a designated collection point. Seems like a good system, and I'd prefer to support these local market traders, as so many small businesses are being hit hard.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 1:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KJMW
Presumably you are French, at least by naturalisation and were allowed to vote. I had that right withdrawn since Brexit. As for the 'panic' I suppose it may need defining a tad. My bike club has suspended all bike rides, that in my view, is panicking!!! There are many other examples too not least of which are the closing of restaurants (Pizza shops!!) Just what are hoteliers going to do if their guests can't eat!!! Panic, yes that is my definition. Panic doesn't necessarily mean you run off screaming down the road!!! No doubt though that will soon be happening the way people are behaving!
I'm French by marriage, a little too late for the Mitterand-Giscard Election... It's not a question of being allowed to vote, it's a civic duty here, although too many French citizens don't bother....
At the time of writing, I'm wondering whether garages are open for business (car repairs which are usually essential). I'll ring tomorrow.....
P.S. I heard on the radio that hotels can deliver food to their clients' rooms.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 6:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dmu
I'm French by marriage, a little too late for the Mitterand-Giscard Election... It's not a question of being allowed to vote, it's a civic duty here, although too many French citizens don't bother....
At the time of writing, I'm wondering whether garages are open for business (car repairs which are usually essential). I'll ring tomorrow.....
P.S. I heard on the radio that hotels can deliver food to their clients' rooms.
I live five minutes from the Spanish frontier. Saturday I went across to fill the car (much cheaper there) The place was, as usual jamb packed with French buying booze and cigarettes, just like the Brits in Calais really!!! It was utter chaos now with the virus scare. It's a little bizarre that the garages and shops were locking themselves away for protection, disinfecting credit cards through a grill etc. but the customers, thousands of them were mingling and purchasing as normal, albeit at a slower rate because of the way they had to pay through a grill. That was Saturday, Sunday I believe the Spanish have now 'locked' down Spain though I doubt that will make any difference to business at the Frontier. At any rate I don't need to go across for a while. I bought a Pizza last night, they don't, apparently, count as restaurants even though you can sit and eat at my local Pizza shop!!!!! My bike club has suspended all meetings, even rides for 2-3 riders! I have a triathlon in May, well I hope I have. The way it's going that will be cancelled too!!! I think your garage should be open, unless they sell meals too!!!!!!!!! Ah well, there's always the T.V.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.