British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Cooking Poitrine de Porc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/cooking-poitrine-de-porc-895837/)

audio Apr 23rd 2017 6:18 pm

Cooking Poitrine de Porc

S.V.P. A relatively healthy and simple recipe to cook portrine de porc?
Please be advised, I am just a cook not a chef.:(
Thanks.

Pulaski Apr 23rd 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Cooking Poitrine de Porc

Here are some choices, just click on each picture for the recipe. :)

audio Apr 23rd 2017 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12236393)
Here are some choices, just click on each picture for the recipe. :)

Thanks Pulaski :thumb:

Pulaski Apr 24th 2017 1:20 am

Originally Posted by audio (Post 12236420)
Thanks Pulaski :thumb:

You're welcome. :D

petitefrancaise Apr 24th 2017 1:47 am

make cassoulet! Add some beans and duck legs, throw in a toulouse sausage if you have some et voila!

dmu Apr 24th 2017 6:36 am

Originally Posted by audio (Post 12236374)
S.V.P. A relatively healthy and simple recipe to cook portrine de porc?
Please be advised, I am just a cook not a chef.:(
Thanks.

Why poitrine de porc, which is excessively fatty and not very healthy?
Use a leaner cut for all the recipes suggested! Serve it as petit salé with other types of charcuterie, with cassoulet or choucroûte, or alone with lentilles.
Enjoy!

grannybunz Apr 24th 2017 12:10 pm

A treat in the Bunz household is a slow roast poitrine avec couene.

I had to train my butcher to give me a piece of belly pork with the skin left on.
I then use a craft knife to score the skin into fine strips, rub it all over with salt and a little olive oil. This goes in a roasting tin with a glass or two of white wine or water. Then into the oven at 120C for about 4 hours.

You can then either take it out and stick in frigo overnight or take it out and turn the oven hear right up to 220C. (you do the same next day if that is preferred) Cook for 30-40 minutes until the crackling is as crisp as can be.. After resting for 10 or so minutes remove the crackling and cut into pieces and carve the meat, which will have given up most of it's fat, into chunks,

I serve this with braised red cabbage and home made plum chutney. It is a favourite with both French and Danish friends.

audio Apr 24th 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12236603)
make cassoulet! Add some beans and duck legs, throw in a toulouse sausage if you have some et voila!

Thanks PF, with duck legs and sausage :ohmy:. That must be Texas cholesterol special. Might try it in the winter though.;)

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12236742)
Why poitrine de porc, which is excessively fatty and not very healthy?
Use a leaner cut for all the recipes suggested! Serve it as petit salé with other types of charcuterie, with cassoulet or choucroûte, or alone with lentilles.
Enjoy!

Thanks DMU. All the usual pork cuts around here are pretty tasteless, even the local farm shop buys his pork from the same sauce as the supermarket I think :(. So, I thought I would try something different.

Originally Posted by grannybunz (Post 12236991)
A treat in the Bunz household is a slow roast poitrine avec couene.

I had to train my butcher to give me a piece of belly pork with the skin left on.
I then use a craft knife to score the skin into fine strips, rub it all over with salt and a little olive oil. This goes in a roasting tin with a glass or two of white wine or water. Then into the oven at 120C for about 4 hours.

You can then either take it out and stick in frigo overnight or take it out and turn the oven hear right up to 220C. (you do the same next day if that is preferred) Cook for 30-40 minutes until the crackling is as crisp as can be.. After resting for 10 or so minutes remove the crackling and cut into pieces and carve the meat, which will have given up most of it's fat, into chunks,

I serve this with braised red cabbage and home made plum chutney. It is a favourite with both French and Danish friends.

grannybunz. Just what I’m looking for, that sounds great.
Thanks very much.
:thumbsup: