Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Controle Technique/Re-registering UK car!

Controle Technique/Re-registering UK car!

Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

frugeois is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Controle Technique/Re-registering UK car!

Interesting. No one has mentioned the service des mines. They are the people that check that your imported car meets french requirements. first the lights will have to be replaced. After that you'll have to apply for your CG and it is not cheap. My advise for what its worth is to go to the people who will issue the documents. The sous prefecture is a good place to start and take all the papers in your possession. All the best. I imported a car in1992. It was a french car registered in the UK when new with uk lights ....
Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Volusia
If I wanted to do it any other way I would have to take it back to uk and register it there again then export it again !!!
Out of interest, how did you manage the UK road tax and insurance aspects to get the car from the point of purchase to France? This was a topic of discussion on here and elsewhere a short while ago since the UK govt stopped the ability to transfer road tax to the new owner.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 8:26 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

Normally the V5 in the seller's name, plus a bill of sale signed with the seller's name on it, does the trick.
After all when you buy a French car, they insure you on sight of the cg in the previous owner's name. I think insurance companies understand the concept of buying a car and insuring it pending the change of ownership being registered, after all that's how most new policies start out...
The OP stated in the opening post the insurance is pressing for the registration document if the OP continues not to hand it in to the insurance company then they may suggest that the car no longer be driven on the road with their insurance covering it. As at this point the car has zero documentation in their eyes a export certificate may appease them we shall find out soon...
Old Mar 7th 2016, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Volusia is an unknown quantity at this point

As I said, I have all the docs I need except the V5 and of course the CT which it appears I can't get without the V5!! The lights have already been changed to lhd ones and the car is completely roadworthy in France. I have done a check on the French Carte Grise site to check the cost of the new CG. All these documents are in my car folder !

I have spoken to the insurers and explained my problem..... They have given the OK to extend the period before they need the new Carte Grise.

By the way...... You can tax a car online using reg and vin number, which is what I did, then I claimed the tax back when the car was in France.

I insured the car with my French insurers before my husband picked it up.

Everything was done legally and correctly. We gave got proof of purchase from the previous owner, printed by ourselves but still a valid document. I even paid for the Dartford crossing! Our only error was in not insisting that the previous owner give us the V5...this is the one thing causing us problems now and I live in hope that the export cert. will be accepted.

Once again, thank you for all your advice and help.

Last edited by Volusia; Mar 7th 2016 at 8:53 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 9:28 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Volusia

Once again, thank you for all your advice and help.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.......
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I certainly will 😊
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

You can register with the Certificate of Permanent Export, I know because I've done it, coming direct from DVLA and naming you as the keeper it's actually a more authoritative document than the V5.

The problem you have with that is that absent evidence of the change of ownership (the missing V5) DVLA will not just send you one and are duty bound to make inquiries with the registered keeper to ascertain that he did actually sell it and that it's not been stolen, typically that process takes 6-8 weeks and of course assumes that the seller cooperates.

The quickest way out of your predicament would be for the seller to apply for a replacement V5 then for him to fill in and detach the permanent export section to send to DVLA then forward the rest of it to you, under the circumstances that's what he should have done in the first place.

BTW, and not wishing to add the the problem, without a registration document (V5) technically you should not be driving the car and you could find yourself in some difficulty if stopped for a control.

Furthermore if your insurer does drop the bar on you, and they must give you notice so you will have time, then you MUST procure alternative cover BEFORE the date/time that cover expires, if there is a break in cover - even a day - then you could very likely find it extremely difficult to reinsure it with anyone else and if that happens the only way out may be to sell it to establish a change of ownership then buy it back !

Last edited by Im_and_Er; Mar 11th 2016 at 3:04 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Will the OP not face importation taxes as he hasn't owned to car for more than 6 months as well?
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
You can register with the Certificate of Permanent Export, I know because I've done it, coming direct from DVLA and naming you as the keeper it's actually a more authoritative document than the V5.

The problem you have with that is that absent evidence of the change of ownership (the missing V5) DVLA will not just send you one and are duty bound to make inquiries with the registered keeper to ascertain that he did actually sell it and that it's not been stolen, typically that process takes 6-8 weeks and of course assumes that the seller cooperates.

The quickest way out of your predicament would be for the seller to apply for a replacement V5 then for him to fill in and detach the permanent export section to send to DVLA then forward the rest of it to you, under the circumstances that's what he should have done in the first place.

BTW, and not wishing to add the the problem, without a registration document (V5) technically you should not be driving the car and you could find yourself in some difficulty if stopped for a control.

Furthermore if your insurer does drop the bar on you, and they must give you notice so you will have time, then you MUST procure alternative cover BEFORE the date/time that cover expires, if there is a break in cover - even a day - then you could very likely find it extremely difficult to reinsure it with anyone else and if that happens the only way out may be to sell it to establish a change of ownership then buy it back !

Thank you very much for that response. Interesting info and excellent news# it's good to have confirmation that someone has done it! Thank you so much
Old Mar 11th 2016, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Will the OP not face importation taxes as he hasn't owned to car for more than 6 months as well?
No.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Some background to my case:

I bought an MGB which had been stored in a barn for a decade or more following a major wiring burn up, the V5 had been lost and hadn't been in the sellers name anyway. It was cheap enough to be a breaker if registration were to be a problem but I was confident it wouldn't be.

I applied to DVLA for a CoPE and when it came it showed the previous registered keepers details then me as the exporter and new keeper and the date of issue as the date of export.

I 'acquired' a sales receipt from the previous keeper (one Mr Del Aptop ) and that was that, it went through without a hitch.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Some background to my case:

I bought an MGB which had been stored in a barn for a decade or more following a major wiring burn up, the V5 had been lost and hadn't been in the sellers name anyway. It was cheap enough to be a breaker if registration were to be a problem but I was confident it wouldn't be.

I applied to DVLA for a CoPE and when it came it showed the previous registered keepers details then me as the exporter and new keeper and the date of issue as the date of export.

I 'acquired' a sales receipt from the previous keeper (one Mr Del Aptop ) and that was that, it went through without a hitch.

Your story really put my mind at rest.... I will still be glad when it's all done though 😉
Old Mar 12th 2016, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I trust you're an MG Car Club member, Im_and_ER? They're quite active in France.