Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Contemplating moving to France.

Contemplating moving to France.

Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:13 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to France.

Life's an adventure. You only get one shot at it etc. etc.

You don't need a CBT to ride a scooter in France if you're over 16. If you're under, then yes - you do.

The language will come if you're living here and hearing it spoken every day.

Follow Roger's advice, or try HelpEx.

Bonne chance!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:58 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Le Chant
Life's an adventure. You only get one shot at it etc. etc.

You don't need a CBT to ride a scooter in France if you're over 16. If you're under, then yes - you do.

The language will come if you're living here and hearing it spoken every day.

Follow Roger's advice, or try HelpEx.

Bonne chance!
Wasn't overly sure about that....
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:12 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Wasn't overly sure about that....
All three of mine were over 16 when they had their moto's. None are still riding though, thank God! Youngest two both had 'tests' at school though.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:16 pm

All three of mine were over 16 when they had their moto's. None are still riding though, thank God! Youngest two both had 'tests' at school though.
I have said to mine if he takes his Full Test and skips the Scooter bit I will buy his first bike. Im not a great fan of licensing laws here. And as for the Sans permit Cars.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:22 pm

I have said to mine if he takes his Full Test and skips the Scooter bit I will buy his first bike. Im not a great fan of licensing laws here. And as for the Sans permit Cars.
I dunno. I think France does the best it can given the vast distances some folks have to travel to get to the next village. Given that the French aren't normally that well off, there's at least a range of cheaper travel alternatives available to them.

I wouldn't want the worry of my kids being out on scooters/moto's again, that's for sure.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:49 pm

I dunno. I think France does the best it can given the vast distances some folks have to travel to get to the next village. Given that the French aren't normally that well off, there's at least a range of cheaper travel alternatives available to them.

I wouldn't want the worry of my kids being out on scooters/moto's again, that's for sure.
Its hard work on the roads here. Madness
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I love "beating" up the French drivers!!
I used to do it in the UK long ago - people thought I was mad.
Here, it's considered as "normal"!
I always "get" them on roundabouts though, they're scared to go round on two wheels - heh!

Last edited by Roger O; Jun 13th 2010 at 8:27 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Roger O
Personally, i love "beating" up the French drivers!!
I used to do it in the UK long ago - peopme thought I was mad.
Here, it's considered as "normal"!
Never had you down as the violent type. But I will be sure to duck if you lob your zimmer in this direction
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

And as for the Sans permit Cars.
They are dangerous - can't understand why Mr Sarkozy allows people to have these things - If your banned from driving or you haven't got a licence you shouldn't drive, full stop. I think being allowed on a 125cc when you've had your licence over 24months shouldn't be allowed either - you have some right nutters out there who are just asking for trouble
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by le plumber
They are dangerous - can't understand why Mr Sarkozy allows people to have these things - If your banned from driving or you haven't got a licence you shouldn't drive, full stop. I think being allowed on a 125cc when you've had your licence over 24months shouldn't be allowed either - you have some right nutters out there who are just asking for trouble
The cars themselves aren't dangerous, it's the people in 'em that are. But, you get eejits all over the world. I'd rather drive here in France than in the UK any day of the week. Or Italy, or Japan. Or even the USA.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

The cars themselves aren't dangerous, it's the people in 'em that are. But, you get eejits all over the world. I'd rather drive here in France than in the UK any day of the week. Or Italy, or Japan. Or even the USA.
Absolutely - they shouldn't be allowed to drive. The only problem would be that if you did have to have a licence to drive one, nobody would bother getting one they only go 50km/h!!

Last edited by le plumber; Jun 14th 2010 at 8:26 am.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:19 am

Absolutely - they shouldn't be allowed to drive. The only problem would be that if you did have to have a licence to drive one, nobody would bother getting one they only go 50km/h!!

http://images03.olx.fr/ui/2/74/32/16357232_1.jpg
We have one or two of them that go faster than that around here, Their like scooters pretty diverse with the mods I you have a chance have a look under the bonnet of a new one, I was surprised with how much chipboard is used in the construction of them.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

We have one or two of them that go faster than that around here, Their like scooters pretty diverse with the mods I you have a chance have a look under the bonnet of a new one, I was surprised with how much chipboard is used in the construction of them.
Chipboard??
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:42 am

Chipboard??
Yup holds the engine compartment together.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Yup holds the engine compartment together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.