Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

consumer rights

Wikiposts

consumer rights

Old May 7th 2013, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: consumer rights

The only reason for buying Windows 8 rather than Apple is that it comes at a fraction of the price. The only reason for buying Windows 8 rather than Windows 7 is if you need to buy something urgently and you can't find anything with Windows 7. IMHO.
Old May 7th 2013, 12:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
The only reason for buying Windows 8 rather than Apple is that it comes at a fraction of the price. The only reason for buying Windows 8 rather than Windows 7 is if you need to buy something urgently and you can't find anything with Windows 7. IMHO.
I agree about the price differential, but I'm in the fortunate position of having a reserved budget line from my employer for personal computers and the like.

That said, I doubt I'd go back to Microsoft even in extreme penury. Just my take.
Old May 7th 2013, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That said, I doubt I'd go back to Microsoft even in extreme penury. Just my take.
So supposing you had a freelancer working for you, and they smugly announced that they would be delivering your urgent translations two weeks late because their computer had been stolen yesterday, they couldn't access their bank accounts, and although they could borrow the money to buy a cheap computer today to finish the job, they preferred to keep all their clients waiting for a couple of weeks until they could get themselves a macbook - might you not think that their principles and priorities were somewhat misplaced?

Let's face it, computers are all ugly lumps of plastic with built-in obsolescence, cleverly marketed to a consumer society that has been taught to regard them as aspirational. Looking beyond the huge artificial demand that has been stimulated they are simply a necessary tool for getting certain types of job done and unfortunately that is exactly what Microsoft have lost sight of with Windows 8.
Old May 8th 2013, 3:49 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Does anyone know precisely what ones consumer rights are in France?
I bought a new HP laptop on Friday from Boulanger with telephone support (because I want to use French keyboard and improve my technical French)
I am trying to create the windows recovery file, as instructed, and it tells me required files are missing. It also will not create the HP recovery file either.
I have contacted Boulanger, who tell me to contact the manufacturer. HP tell me to contact the vendor.
As it is only three days, does anyone know, can I take it back and insist on a replacement? Can In ask for money back? What are my options?

Thanks for help.

BW
Further to this thread todays turn up came in the mail, Last summer we booked to stay in a hotel in Argeles sur Mer for a week it didn't turn out as expected and we had to go stay in another hotel. At the time it resulted in paying for a weeks stay twice but to our surprise a check turned up this morning returning our money
Old May 8th 2013, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Great!
Old May 9th 2013, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Eurotrash

How did you uninstall Skype- I cannot find it listed in programs?
(The Startisback I find useful, so thank you for that, and I must say I am enjoying using a PC that works the way my old memory does!)
Old May 9th 2013, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Eurotrash

How did you uninstall Skype- I cannot find it listed in programs?
(The Startisback I find useful, so thank you for that, and I must say I am enjoying using a PC that works the way my old memory does!)
I have a pc with Windows 7 and Skype is in the programs folder accessed from the Windows icon.
It is a folder & not a program and you have to go right down the list to the folders section.
This is below the Windows programs.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Cyrian. I can find it there, but I cannot see how to uninstall it ( this is after all a Start menu overlaid on Windows 8, so it may not be quite the same.)

The trouble is, it does not seem to be listed as a programme anywhere.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Cyrian. I can find it there, but I cannot see how to uninstall it ( this is after all a Start menu overlaid on Windows 8, so it may not be quite the same.)

The trouble is, it does not seem to be listed as a programme anywhere.
Sorry, my answer was a bit dumb.
Try Googling "How do I uninstall Skype in Windows 8" and there are some instructions on how to do it.
What you appear to be saying is that Skype does not appear.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Cyrian

Yes I have tried that. Skype appears but.....

the uninstall button does not!

I shall keep plugging away. Had enough for today - the plumber has taken the rest of the week off, the tiler too, and the chap who is rebuilding the terrace has been rained off. If I were in the UK, I would be off down the pub!
Old May 9th 2013, 4:32 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Cyrian

Yes I have tried that. Skype appears but.....

the uninstall button does not!

I shall keep plugging away. Had enough for today - the plumber has taken the rest of the week off, the tiler too, and the chap who is rebuilding the terrace has been rained off. If I were in the UK, I would be off down the pub!
I just took the route to uninstall Skype to check if any issues if I wanted to do so; Control Panel from Start menu, Program menu, scroll down and Skype there; highlight and uninstall option at top of screen.

My issue is I am using Windows 7 Vista via Safe Mode/Networking as Windows don't want to start normally and connect wifi. Not got full security software, so guess may have picked up a virus. Won';t even start hard-wired. Hey-ho. Don't you all love technology