Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Communicating in French with hospital staff

Communicating in French with hospital staff

Old Mar 4th 2022, 7:32 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Communicating in French with hospital staff

I'm having a hip replacement and, at yesterday's consultation with the surgeon, was struck once again by the need for all concerned to understand everything that's said. I don't want to sound smug, but I had revised all the "arthroplasty" vocab, and that of my "comorbidities", and we explained/noted everything. Come the discussion with her secretary, I was glad that I knew about hospital procedures from OH's time, and could follow the flow of words while she consulted the computer and handed out countless forms, prescriptions, documents to read....
I'm wondering how any foreigner, without speaking adequate French, can cope, esp. retirees who are more likely to need hospital treatment. But people of all ages find themselves in the Urgences and are also concerned....
In the waiting area, there's a list of hospital "employees" who speak foreign languages, but there's no guarantee that they would be available when needed and their medical knowledge might be too limited in a particular field, to interpret. Most Doctors do speak English, but prefer not to, to avoid misunderstandings....
In a couple, where one partner does speak French, remember that the one who doesn't, will have to cope with being a patient or the "personne de confiance" on their own. If you're alone, far better to take a trustworthy bilingual friend along at the consultations and admission. In either case the hospital requires some one to contact in the event of problems, and that person must preferably be able to communicate.
Sorry to sound like a scare-monger to any non-French-speakers out there, but this problem is real, and potential expats "of a certain age" or any one with ongoing medical issues, should bear this in mind before making the decision to apply for a long-term Visa.
Old Mar 4th 2022, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Communicating in French with hospital staff

You are so right DMU as the wave of expats who came over in "the good old days" get older they need to make sure that they understand the need to learn french and like you brush up on their medical terminology when they go for appointments
In addition it is useful having a small notebook near the telephone with the emergency services numbers and everything written down clearly in French including your address because when under stress the words can fail you This should include such things as the common medical problems such as heart attack stroke and my husband has fallen off the ladder/roof through to burglary assault and your house being on fire
Old Mar 4th 2022, 2:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
You are so right DMU as the wave of expats who came over in "the good old days" get older they need to make sure that they understand the need to learn french and like you brush up on their medical terminology when they go for appointments
In addition it is useful having a small notebook near the telephone with the emergency services numbers and everything written down clearly in French including your address because when under stress the words can fail you This should include such things as the common medical problems such as heart attack stroke and my husband has fallen off the ladder/roof through to burglary assault and your house being on fire
Too true. Many's the time I had to ring the Pompiers (no "15" service in our neck of the woods) for OH, and answer precise questions on the phone, so that they know whether a Doc must accompany them.
Excellent idea to note all those things down by the phone, adding "my wife" and "he/she is/isn't conscious" to the list.
And, in any case, always have your Carte Vitale/Mutuelle on you or in your take-everywhere bag....
Old Mar 4th 2022, 6:18 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Too true. Many's the time I had to ring the Pompiers (no "15" service in our neck of the woods) for OH, and answer precise questions on the phone, so that they know whether a Doc must accompany them.
Excellent idea to note all those things down by the phone, adding "my wife" and "he/she is/isn't conscious" to the list.
And, in any case, always have your Carte Vitale/Mutuelle on you or in your take-everywhere bag....
Urgencies is well versed is a carte vitale turning up later, everyone is entitled to life saving care. But if you don’t turn up with it they will hound you. Our local hospital have had a lot of Brits pass through so if you don’t have a carte vitale they insist on a credit card.
Old Mar 5th 2022, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Wise comments from DMU!
Bonne courage and hope all goes well for the hip replacement op.
I guess it's probably now time to give up the pole-dancing, n'est-ce pas?

Please let us know as soon as you're back on the mend.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Mar 5th 2022 at 9:11 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2022, 11:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Wise comments from DMU!
Bonne courage and hope all goes well for the hip replacement op.
I guess it's probably now time to give up the pole-dancing, n'est-ce pas?

Please let us know as soon as you're back on the mend.

For various reasons, the op's scheduled for May, so I can continue the pole-dancing for a while. Not sure that such an activity is advisable post-op, though.....
Old Mar 7th 2022, 6:21 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu

For various reasons, the op's scheduled for May, so I can continue the pole-dancing for a while. Not sure that such an activity is advisable post-op, though.....
I had a hip-op a few years back. One of the best things Ive done! As I have been fully mobile and pain free since then.

I know a top surgeon, who strongly advised me to complete the full physiotherapy post op. He said many stop when they feel better, but it could be an error to do so. I didn't miss one session.

Get ready to get frisked each time you fly and go through the metal detectors

Jon
Old Mar 7th 2022, 6:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I had a hip-op a few years back. One of the best things Ive done! As I have been fully mobile and pain free since then.

I know a top surgeon, who strongly advised me to complete the full physiotherapy post op. He said many stop when they feel better, but it could be an error to do so. I didn't miss one session.

Get ready to get frisked each time you fly and go through the metal detectors

Jon
Thanks for the advice. At least two weeks of re-education are prescribed after the op, in a Centre at first, then as an out-patient. No possibility for the patient to stop the prescribed sessions before time. Thanks to my present "pole-dancing", I've been getting my muscles into shape.....
Old Mar 10th 2022, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I wish my parents had thought ahead like that. I cannot fault the hospitals they ended up in as they tried to be as helpful as they could be. Mum had already lost most of her ability to speak and Dad had a massive stroke. Only one member of staff spoke a minimal amount of English, and I had about the level of my nine-year-old granddaughter's competency in French, 'Oui, Oui, bonjour and croissant, merci" There was one person who translated for us if we arranged meetings with the staff but apart from that we had to rely on Google translate! 3 yrs after my Mum's death and 2 yrs after my Dad's we are still having to deal with the French bank as my parents didn't think enough about the future! Hopefully, that saga is about to come to an end. Good luck with the hip op.🍀
Old May 2nd 2022, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

DMU, how did the hip op go? Or are you still awaiting the 'big' day?
Old May 9th 2022, 8:40 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
DMU, how did the hip op go? Or are you still awaiting the 'big' day?
D-Day is next Monday!
I'll be lurking on BE for the duration, without contributing.....
Old Jul 3rd 2022, 2:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
D-Day is next Monday!
I'll be lurking on BE for the duration, without contributing.....
An update.
In the end, after 5 days in hospital, I spent 3 weeks at the Centre de Rééducation, since there had to be some one at home to watch over me. Since then, I've been going to twice-weekly kiné sessions to continue the good work of the Centre and am walking normally. What I can't do yet is reach my right foot to do sandals up, etc... I can drive short distances, but mustn't twist round nor do any sudden adduction when changing the accelerator/brake pedals. Crossing legs and even ankles is prohibited and I must place a sort of cushion between the thighs at night, to avoid crossing my legs in my sleep. All this to avoid a dislocation.... The worst part, in fact, was having to sleep on my back for 3 weeks (until the stitches were removed) - no one warned me of that....
I regret to say that the Surgeon has prohibited me from resuming pole-dancing - too much adduction involved.....
P.S. And I confirm the need to speak French with all the staff encountered, even the dinner ladies and cleaners...
Old Jul 3rd 2022, 3:51 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear that all is going well and that you are able to walk normally and also able to drive.

Shame about the pole dancing!!!!

Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2022, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it all went well DMU.
My old mum had the same op in the UK a few years back and it's given her a new lease of life. You'll be pole vaulting let alone pole dancing in no time.
xxx
Old Jul 4th 2022, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi DMU, so pleased to hear you are on the mend, and sounding undauntable.
As regards having a cushion between the thighs at night, I suggest you find yourself a senior sugar-daddy asap, throw away the cushion, and in no time you could well be pole-vaulting between the sheets at night and pole-dancing during the daytime.
And of course - photos. Otherwise we'll never believe it's really happening.......
Keep smiling!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And once you get really mobile again, my advise - don't venture too far away from home.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jul 4th 2022 at 7:37 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.