Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

closing a french bank account.

closing a french bank account.

Old Nov 7th 2018, 3:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: closing a french bank account.

sigh... we had the most terrible branch of BNP. We knew from past experience that they simply refused to sign for letters, or even acknowledge them sent from outside France, the postman claiming not to understand it since it was all in English. So we sent a letter to our friend in France, who took it to LaPoste and sent it to the bank recommande and a receipt sent to her address.
Old Nov 9th 2018, 7:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Ask your bank?
Make sure you won't have any more bills to pay in France before you close it, eg taxe d'habitation, taxe foncière.
.... not to mention EdF/Gas, landline, water. I'd wait until you've received all the Utility and Tax Notices and last Social Security reimbursements and those from your Insurance Company, before closing your French Account.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

An update. Went to branch in Baud with my sister and the account will be closed in about 8 weeks. My sister had written down the IBAN information but that wasn't good enough as it wasn't on bank headed paper. My sister has to write a letter from my father agreeing to close the account which he has to sign, despite the fact she is his legal guardian and he cannot write due to a stroke 3 yrs ago.I am the signatory on the account exactly for that reason. If I hadn't been there and verbally given over that signatory, her trip would have been a waste of time. There was also some correspondence needed to deal with the insurance policies my parents have. However that is a separate company. Hopefully. All will be dealt with in the New Year. All standing orders/payments now stopped. My sister will be sending duplicate copies to the bank and our friend in France, so we can make sure it has been received. This has been a nightmare to be honest and although my parents had a lovely retirement in France until ill health struck, I wish they had move to the Kent coast instead.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

So glad your trip wasn't wasted and you managed to make progress.
Originally Posted by jjmb
This has been a nightmare to be honest and although my parents had a lovely retirement in France until ill health struck, I wish they had move to the Kent coast instead.
I'm sure your parents never imagined it turning out such a nightmare for you, or they might have! Gotta say that having followed your trials and tribulations on the forum I think you have had the patience of a saint with all this. Fingers crossed that the bank is as good as its word.