Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Christmas Turkey in France

Christmas Turkey in France

Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

SusieC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christmas Turkey in France

Does anyone know if it's possible to order a traditional Christmas Turkey in France? Would it be possible to get one in a local supermarket or would it have to be ordered from a butcher? Spending Christmas in Bozel does anyone know where to get one?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christmas Turkey in France

you can get them in Auchan nearer Christmas time
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

My organic egg man proudly told me that this year he has English white turkeys when most farmers produce the bronze or black turkeys.

They cost 9.50 a kilo and vary between 10-12 kilos.

They are so big he has had to start offering smaller joints and are selling well in 10 euro joints/escalopes.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:36 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SusieC
Does anyone know if it's possible to order a traditional Christmas Turkey in France? Would it be possible to get one in a local supermarket or would it have to be ordered from a butcher? Spending Christmas in Bozel does anyone know where to get one?
Just about every supermarket usually has them in stock.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:44 am
Just Joined

SusieC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wetwang
My organic egg man proudly told me that this year he has English white turkeys when most farmers produce the bronze or black turkeys.

They cost 9.50 a kilo and vary between 10-12 kilos.

They are so big he has had to start offering smaller joints and are selling well in 10 euro joints/escalopes.
Can you let me know where your egg man is located? I'm in Bozel, Savoie, trying to find someone locally
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

Couldn't be further away. In the Dordogne. Don't know if delivery is possible
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:38 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SusieC
no problems - they are widely available at Christmas, but don't expect to find anything very big... I used to find that the chapons looked bigger than the turkeys! Oh, and I did find that they cook very differently to anything I was used to in the UK - I think they are more muscular with not so much soft white breast meat - so allow plenty of extra time on Christmas day...
Old Nov 18th 2010, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

maybe thats why why egg man was so pleased to have English Turkeys. They stand waist high to him. My point to Susie was if you try your local market you may find a producteur de volaille there and you could order one in good time.
I am going to an American organised Thanksgiving dinner in Beaumont next week and pride of place is a turkey.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:23 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

We had pheasants last year for a change, slow cooked in white wine and mushrooms. Absolutely beautiful and will do the same again this year.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Our family always had a goose (even during the war!) specially ordered from our farmer friends in Widecfombe. We used to bus up to Newton Abbot from Torquay and collect it at Newton market. (I always got the carcass to as a special treat after we had all eaten as much as could be cut off - was always a carnivore"!!)
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger I know you are a senior member but which war are you talking about? The earliest I can remember is the Cod War
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wetwang
Roger I know you are a senior member but which war are you talking about? The earliest I can remember is the Cod War
I think Roger might mean he has memories of the Battle of Agincourt.......
I'm a little younger; can only remember Waterloo......
Old Nov 18th 2010, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

... er... I was born in 1938, so you can guess??
Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

you can't possibly remember WW11 so it must be Korea.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

How about being stuck under a Morrison shelter in my parents' bedroom while glass was flying from a bomb near miss which lifted our roof with the pressure wave? Plymouth was heavily bombed and "left overs" were often dropped by Junkers on Torquay before fleeing back over the channel!

We couldn't even get to the sea on the beaches for the barbed wire defencers against landings! On the quarry opposite our house on the other side of the valley was a big Bofors anti aircraft installation. After the war, we kids used to go up there and swing on the barrel before it was dismantled in 1949.

We had gangs of POWs repairing the roads on the way to our school which was where I learned my first German words. I remember shouting "Hände hoch!" at them, whereat they all dropped their tools, raised their hands in the air and roared with laughter.. much to my embarassment!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.