Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

chimney sweeping

chimney sweeping

Old Nov 19th 2014, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: chimney sweeping

Well I didn't know, because I was told by our mayor, who also owns the local bricolage shop and who supplied and fitted my poele in person, that I had to have it swept once a year. So, I found sanitary regulations for my department, and am left quite stunned by the document. Even for the French love of rules and regulations, I think it takes the biscuit. But as far as I can see, regulation 31-6 is the one, and it says at least once a year. So unless it's been superseded, once a year it is.
http://www.ins-bretagne.fr/wp-conten...3/09/rsd61.pdf
It's obviously a regional thing, like how many times you bise people.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 5:15 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

The way I read article 31-6 of the document you reference, it seems to be quite clear that a sweep needs to be done twice a year including once during the period of use.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Well I didn't know, because I was told by our mayor, who also owns the local bricolage shop and who supplied and fitted my poele in person, that I had to have it swept once a year. So, I found sanitary regulations for my department, and am left quite stunned by the document. Even for the French love of rules and regulations, I think it takes the biscuit. But as far as I can see, regulation 31-6 is the one, and it says at least once a year. So unless it's been superseded, once a year it is.
http://www.ins-bretagne.fr/wp-conten...3/09/rsd61.pdf

Some insurances will say that if you only use <5 cordes of wood then you only need to sweep once a year. I wouldn't listen to that sort of advice if I were you because if your house did burn down then they will want to wriggle out of paying you a very large sum any way they can and the art 31-6 would be a perfect way of doing just that. They also say in France "nul est censé ignorer la loi". Its common knowledge in the trade and reading art. 36-1, I can quite clearly understand, like IVV, that its twice a year and at least once during the heating period. However you are right, up to a point, about it being a regional thing. In Alsace you're obliged to sweep THREE times per year including once during the heating period. Other than that art 31-6 is pretty standard for the rest of France. I can also assure you that some people don't even do it at all but thats their problem.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
The way I read article 31-6 of the document you reference, it seems to be quite clear that a sweep needs to be done twice a year including once during the period of use.
'at least once a year and more often if necessary due to the conditions and the duration of use' (au moins une fois par an et plus souvent si nécessaire en fonction des conditions et de la durée d'utilisation) doesn't make it one bit clear to me that they mean 'twice a year'. I think if they meant twice a year, they'd have said 'deux fois par an' to make it clear, no?
Old Nov 20th 2014, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I trust that wasn't a typo....

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Nov 20th 2014 at 7:29 am.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is that you, Tweedpipe?
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:28 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

'at least once a year and more often if necessary due to the conditions and the duration of use' (au moins une fois par an et plus souvent si nécessaire en fonction des conditions et de la durée d'utilisation) doesn't make it one bit clear to me that they mean 'twice a year'. I think if they meant twice a year, they'd have said 'deux fois par an' to make it clear, no?
ET, you're reading the bit about "tuyeaux de raccordement" the bit which deals with "conduits de fumee" is in the next paragraph.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
ET, you're reading the bit about "tuyeaux de raccordement" the bit which deals with "conduits de fumee" is in the next paragraph.
It looks to me as though ET is reading the correct paragraph, and the one you you quote is for "appareils collectifs". Or am I misasing something
Both my ramoneur, who is also my plumber electrician and basically knows he has all the work in the house, and my insurance people say once a year. My conditions in 31.6 are the same as ETs but it later says
“Toutefois, lorsque les appareils raccordés sont alimentés par des combustibles gazeux, les conduits spéciaux, les conduits tubés et les conduits n'ayant jamais servi à l'évacuation des produits de la combustion de combustibles solides ou liquides pourront n'être ramonés qu'une fois par an. On entend par ramonage, le nettoyage par action mécanique directe de la paroi intérieure du conduit de fumée afin d'en éliminer les suies et dépôts et d'assurer la vacuité du conduit sur toute sa longueur.
L'emploi du feu ou d'explosifs est formellement interdit pour le ramonage des conduits
I particularly like the last sentence! I was just about to use a stick of dynamite to clear the birds nests
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Is that you, Tweedpipe?
I must be honest with you. No, it's not.
This is me:-
http://rlv.zcache.com/worlds_sexiest..._f0czm_512.jpg
Old Nov 20th 2014, 9:12 am
Hostage Negotiator

Yes, I see where you're coming from Biggles but a tuyeaux de raccordement is not a conduit de fumee - instead it is a pipe which carries gas, oil or water which I presume should be checked annually.

The sentence about appareils collectifs refers, I believe, to the previous sentence since there is no colon after this sentence which would be the case if it was referring to the sentence which follows. I think it is to clarify that either an owner or the syndic can initiate such checks.

I agree the change of paragraph does not help with the interpretation.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

31.6 - L'entretien, le nettoyage et le ramonage des conduits de fumée.

Les foyers et leurs accessoires, les conduits de fumée individuels et collectifs et les tuyaux de raccordement doivent
être entretenus, nettoyés et ramonés dans les conditions ci-après :
Les appareils de chauffage, de production d'eau chaude ou de cuisine individuels, ainsi que leurs tuyaux de raccordement doivent être, à l'initiative des utilisateurs, et suivant les conditions définies par les clauses locatives, vérifiés, nettoyés et réglés au moins une fois par an et plus souvent si nécessaire en fonction des conditions et de la durée
d'utilisation.

Dans le cas des appareils collectifs, ces opérations seront effectuées à l'initiative du propriétaire ou du syndic.
Les conduits de fumée habituellement en fonctionnement et desservant des locaux d'habitation et des locaux professionnels
annexes doivent être ramonés deux fois par an, dont une fois pendant la période d'utilisation.

Ces opérations sont effectuées à l'initiative de l'utilisateur pour les conduits desservant des appareils individuels, ou
du propriétaire ou du gestionnaire s'ils desservent des appareils collectifs.
Elles doivent être effectuées par une entreprise qualifiée à cet effet par l'organisme professionnel de qualification et
de classification du bâtiment.
Un certificat de ramonage doit être remis à l'usager précisant le ou les conduits de fumée ramonés et attestant
notamment de la vacuité du conduit sur toute sa longueur.
Toutefois, lorsque les appareils raccordés sont alimentés par des combustibles gazeux, les conduits spéciaux, les
conduits tubés et les conduits n'ayant jamais servi à l'évacuation des produits de la combustion de combustibles solides ou
liquides pourront n'être ramonés qu'une fois par an.
L'emploi du fer ou d'explosifs est fortement interdit pour le ramonage des conduits.
Les dispositifs permettant d'accéder à toutes les parties des conduits de fumée et de ventilation doivent être établis
en tant que de besoin et maintenus en bon état d'usage pour permettre et faciliter les opérations d'entretien et de ramonage.
Après tout accident, sinistre, notamment feu de cheminée ou exécution de travaux, le propriétaire ou l'utilisateur du
conduit doit faire examiner celui-ci par l'installateur ou tout autre homme de l'art qui établit un certificat, comme il est dit au
5ème alinéa de cet article.
L'autorité compétente peut interdire l'usage des conduits et appareils dans l'attente de leur remise en bon état
d'utilisation lorsqu'ils sont la cause d'un danger grave ou qu'un risque est décelé.
Les locataires ou occupants de locaux doivent être prévenus suffisamment à l'avance du passage des ramoneurs. Il
sont tenus de prendre toutes dispositions utiles pour permettre le ramonage des conduits.
On entend par ramonage, le nettoyage par action mécanique directe de la paroi inférieure du conduit de fumée afin
d'en éliminer les suies et dépôts et d'assurer la vacuité du conduit sur toute sa longueur.

The text in blue means that your boiler etc needs to be checked at least once a year.

The text in red means that your chimney needs to be swept twice a year.

The business I used to run was qualified Qualibois. and during the Qualibois course we were reminded of the rules & regs etc. and the number of times a chimney had to be swept was of course mentioned, so I assume I know what I'm on about. I'm not trying to be bigheaded or lecture anybody, far from it, I'm just answering the original question. I learnt a long time ago that in this country, "ce qui est interdit n'est pas defendu" and people more often than not, more or less do as they please and I invite you to do the same.

Last edited by le plumber; Nov 20th 2014 at 11:00 am.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by le plumber
[I][SIZE="3"]
Les conduits de fumée habituellement en fonctionnement et desservant des locaux d'habitation et des locaux professionnels
annexes doivent être ramonés deux fois par an, dont une fois pendant la période d'utilisation.

The text in red means that your chimney needs to be swept twice a year.
OK I'm convinced! I obviously read it wrong.
I daren't tell the mayor.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 12:34 pm
Hostage Negotiator

I imagine the poor maire has to read any number of documents like that one plus your's has his business to run too!
Old Dec 6th 2014, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Lahassle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am new to this thread, having lived in Nice for 8 years and have a question for Le Plumber.
Hopefully you can help us as I noticed a reply some years ago when I searched on Oertli boilers from you to another member.
We have an REA 030 motherboard for an oertli gas boiler, we had to replace it and they supplied an updated REA 060 motherboard and in the packet was the instructions how to wire the 030! Now we are unable to link the thermostat, cannot find anyone in France who can assist and cannot get a response from either the Dutch, German or English website helplines! We are stuck!
Any help or ideas as to how to get support for this is much appreciated.
Lahassle
Old Dec 7th 2014, 10:24 am
Hostage Negotiator

Hi and welcome to the forum. Seems like Le Plumber might be on another job at the moment

I guess you've tried emailing assistance.technique@oertli for a .pdf of the installation guide so the only other thing I could suggest is contacting De Dietrich who use the same component and whose technical service is pretty good.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.