Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Children with Autism in France

Children with Autism in France

Old Feb 8th 2017, 7:02 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Children with Autism in France

There have been a few posts lately with parents wishing to bring their children with autism to France to live. I worked with special needs kids in France and heard first hand the problems that the parents faced as well as having some very close friends with children with autism.

A few of us on this forum have tried to warn the posters of the problems they will face.

Recently, a french family I know moved to Austin, Texas (where I now live) specifically to get better care for their son. I was astounded to hear that the costs of looking after their son is MUCH cheaper here in the USA. Not often I get to hear that!

The father, Michel has sent me 2 links to news stories about their little boy,the problems he faced in France and why they moved to the USA and how it is going (Much better).

I know these link to french news stations but perhaps if you don't understand French you can at least get google to translate .

Autisme : une prise en charge toujours difficile en France

http://www.latribunerepublicaine.fr/...ia921b0n176782

Basically, in France, the little boy is in a class of 28 kids with one teacher. He doesn't appear to have a teacher's aide to help ( I know from experience that it is VERY VERY difficult to get one for more than a few hours a day, certainly not the whole day) and the parents have been paying privately for an ABA therapist to take him after school. It costs them 3000 euros a month. They have to go through all the bureaucratic nonsense every single year to get what little help they can from the state.

In the USA, their costs are $7000 a year. The school is set up to deal with special needs kids and he is being well educated surrounded by non-special needs kids.

France generally has been very reluctant to embrace special needs kids into the mainstream school system. There are exceptions to be sure but the prevailing attitude seems to be to make integration as difficult as possible so that parents give up and put their kids into the special institutions.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:05 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children with Autism in France

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
There have been a few posts lately with parents wishing to bring their children with autism to France to live. I worked with special needs kids in France and heard first hand the problems that the parents faced as well as having some very close friends with children with autism.

A few of us on this forum have tried to warn the posters of the problems they will face.

Recently, a french family I know moved to Austin, Texas (where I now live) specifically to get better care for their son. I was astounded to hear that the costs of looking after their son is MUCH cheaper here in the USA. Not often I get to hear that!

The father, Michel has sent me 2 links to news stories about their little boy,the problems he faced in France and why they moved to the USA and how it is going (Much better).

I know these link to french news stations but perhaps if you don't understand French you can at least get google to translate .

Autisme : une prise en charge toujours difficile en France

http://www.latribunerepublicaine.fr/...ia921b0n176782

Basically, in France, the little boy is in a class of 28 kids with one teacher. He doesn't appear to have a teacher's aide to help ( I know from experience that it is VERY VERY difficult to get one for more than a few hours a day, certainly not the whole day) and the parents have been paying privately for an ABA therapist to take him after school. It costs them 3000 euros a month. They have to go through all the bureaucratic nonsense every single year to get what little help they can from the state.

In the USA, their costs are $7000 a year. The school is set up to deal with special needs kids and he is being well educated surrounded by non-special needs kids.

France generally has been very reluctant to embrace special needs kids into the mainstream school system. There are exceptions to be sure but the prevailing attitude seems to be to make integration as difficult as possible so that parents give up and put their kids into the special institutions.

Can this be turned into a Stickie?
Old Feb 8th 2017, 6:44 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hey presto, it's gone into the FAQs!! Thanks BEVS!
Old Feb 9th 2017, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Petefinny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are moving to France and also have 3yr old with Autism, after hearing some scary stories about how the French system treats Autism we were very disturbed about are relocation , but after speaking to some parents in the same situation we realised that if you get a diagnosis before you arrive then the help is there , you will need to put them in private school formthe best tutoring, I feel a lot more comfortable now than I did 1 month ago.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 8:08 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petefinny
Hi we are moving to France and also have 3yr old with Autism, after hearing some scary stories about how the French system treats Autism we were very disturbed about are relocation , but after speaking to some parents in the same situation we realised that if you get a diagnosis before you arrive then the help is there , you will need to put them in private school formthe best tutoring, I feel a lot more comfortable now than I did 1 month ago.
Petefinny, getting the diagnosis before you leave the UK will help at first but as Nicolas mentioned in the videos, you will have to go through the re-registering every year. ABA therapy is not available through the health department, you have to pay privately for it - 30 euros an hour. Will the private school provide a teacher's assistant, if so how will this be paid for? I don't know anyone who managed to get one for more than 3 mornings or afternoons a week provided by the education national. What will happen to your child post Brevet? My friend's son is in the horrible situation of leaving school with no qualifications whatsoever. Her son is currently 14 and she is buying a flat in London near to a special school for autism so that he stands a chance of getting a GCSE or 2 at least.

From my experience of private schools in France - they are very anxious to maintain their academic levels and will root out any child likely to undermine it fairly quickly.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 11:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dmu
Hey presto, it's gone into the FAQs!! Thanks BEVS!
You are welcome.
Great posts on this subject PF