Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Child care in france

Child care in france

Old Oct 31st 2017, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Ruchika is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child care in france

Hi I will be soon moving to France. I need to know what are the child care options since I am a single Mother and have 7 year old to be looked after. The job entails travelling too. Normally is child care a part of the expatriate package in France? Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Is there a concept of a Live in maid or how expensive it is to hire one?

Thanks
Old Oct 31st 2017, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child care in france

Hello Ruchika, welcome to the forum.

You mention an "expatriate package", does this mean you're being sent to work in France by your employer? If so, you would need to ask your company exactly what they are offering - I don't think there is any legislation on this, the relocation package is to be negotiated between you and the company that employs you.

Childcare is available in France of course, but if your employer is providing a relocation package, you need to find out what that includes first.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 5:39 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruchika
Hi I will be soon moving to France. I need to know what are the child care options since I am a single Mother and have 7 year old to be looked after. The job entails travelling too. Normally is child care a part of the expatriate package in France? Any help on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Is there a concept of a Live in maid or how expensive it is to hire one?

Thanks
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Surely simpler to have a "Stagiaire aide-familiale étranger" (apparently not the same status as a salaried Au Pair) through a reputable Agency?
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F13348
gives official info, including guide lines for pocket money under "Rétribution".
Vastly cheaper than a salaried French nanny, and, at his age, he/she will pick up French quickly in Primaire....
But, as suggested by ET, find out exactly what your expatriation package includes.
Whereabouts will you be living? (Not being nosey, just that there may be BE members nearby who can give local info!)
Old Nov 1st 2017, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Surely simpler to have a "Stagiaire aide-familiale étranger" (apparently not the same status as a salaried Au Pair) through a reputable Agency?

gives official info, including guide lines for pocket money under "Rétribution".
Vastly cheaper than a salaried French nanny, and, at his age, he/she will pick up French quickly in Primaire....
But, as suggested by ET, find out exactly what your expatriation package includes.
Whereabouts will you be living? (Not being nosey, just that there may be BE members nearby who can give local info!)
Thank you for your prompt response. I will surely be looking at numbers before I finally accept to move . Right now I have been offered a role with the company I have lready been working for. I wish to do my homework to consider the expenses of child care which could be exceptional in my case being a single Mother and with the job involving travel. Once I am convinced that I am able to develop the support system I would surely be putting that forward which needs to be part of the package. From colleagues what I know is it involves accommodation, relocation < to be defined though) , schooling, insurance , vehicle. The exceptional expense that I see is many support for maybe half a day or less.

I am looking to relocate to Clermont Ferrand...

Thank you
Old Nov 1st 2017, 12:49 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your prompt response. I will surely be looking at numbers before I finally accept to move . Right now I have been offered a role with the company I have lready been working for. I wish to do my homework to consider the expenses of child care which could be exceptional in my case being a single Mother and with the job involving travel. Once I am convinced that I am able to develop the support system I would surely be putting that forward which needs to be part of the package. From colleagues what I know is it involves accommodation, relocation < to be defined though) , schooling, insurance , vehicle. The exceptional expense that I see is many support for maybe half a day or less.

I am looking to relocate to Clermont Ferrand...

Thank you
I don't think there are many BE members in the Auvergne, but we can give nationwide advice!
Since the latest "Reform", local Communes can choose either to keep the 4 1/2-day week with shorter hours, or change to the 4-day week with longer hours for their Primaires. Either way you'll need some one from lunch-time on Wednesdays, if not the whole day. And surely some one to collect your child after school the other days, unless they wait at the Garderie until 18h00? I used to have local students look after mine at these times, but I found them by via other mothers. Not so easy when you've just arrived in town....
When you enrol your child at the Mairie (see the "Schooling" thread in the Read Me: Moving to France FAQs above), they may be able to give you pointers...
Old Nov 1st 2017, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

........and wrap up warm. Mornings have been cold there, i.e. into the negatives these last couple of days. Perhaps just one reason the Brits don't flock to the Auvergne.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
........and wrap up warm. Mornings have been cold there, i.e. into the negatives these last couple of days.
It's so cold even the cheese turns blue
Old Nov 1st 2017, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

My DD spent a year at university in CF in 2000 so I am not really up-to-date with the town.

I really liked CF but it is vary cold in winter. The Puy de Dôme towers over the town and is snow capped in winter. Skiing is common locally.

I found the natives to be really friendly but like many towns in France it was totally dead on Sundays.

Enjoy
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
I don't think there are many BE members in the Auvergne, but we can give nationwide advice!
Since the latest "Reform", local Communes can choose either to keep the 4 1/2-day week with shorter hours, or change to the 4-day week with longer hours for their Primaires. Either way you'll need some one from lunch-time on Wednesdays, if not the whole day. And surely some one to collect your child after school the other days, unless they wait at the Garderie until 18h00? I used to have local students look after mine at these times, but I found them by via other mothers. Not so easy when you've just arrived in town....
When you enrol your child at the Mairie (see the "Schooling" thread in the Read Me: Moving to France FAQs above), they may be able to give you pointers...
Hi thanks for the information. Appreciate that. I too did discover that Wednesday’s are half days. Guess have to negotiate for a Nany for atleast 4-5 hrs....

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 3:33 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi thanks for the information. Appreciate that. I too did discover that Wednesday’s are half days. Guess have to negotiate for a Nany for atleast 4-5 hrs....

Thanks
You're right, CF has opted not to change to the 4-day week and your child will have school Wednesday mornings.

"Pas question" de revenir à la semaine de quatre jours à l'école à Clermont-Ferrand - Clermont-Ferrand (63000) - La Montagne

With this option, the children finish school mid-afternoon the other days and, if no one can collect them, they have various activities to choose from. In our Primaire before the Réforme came in, these activities ranged from "circus", gardening, games in English and judo, and the parents contributed to the "intervenants"' wages. A big town like CF will have more activities to choose from.
Remember that the school holidays are longer than in the UK. Two weeks at the Toussaint (now), at Christmas, in February, in the Spring, and 9 weeks in the summer. But your child could go to a "Centre Aéré" during the holidays if you're working...