Reload this Page >

Cheaper way to send a parcel to UK after Brexit

Cheaper way to send a parcel to UK after Brexit

Old Mar 15th 2021, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Neil42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheaper way to send a parcel to UK after Brexit

Hi there!
I just sent a parcel to my daughter in England by La Poste .. And it cost me more than the value of the present!!!
Any ideas for cheaper shipping?
Have a good day!
Neil
Old Mar 15th 2021, 12:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheaper way to send a parcel to UK after Brexit

Originally Posted by Neil42
Hi there!
I just sent a parcel to my daughter in England by La Poste .. And it cost me more than the value of the present!!!
Any ideas for cheaper shipping?
Have a good day!
Neil
It's not just UK and Brexit. I posted something, non-existent in Germany, to my daughter, which likewise cost more than the article!
Old Mar 16th 2021, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
It's not just UK and Brexit. I posted something, non-existent in Germany, to my daughter, which likewise cost more than the article!
I second that. Back when the border was open, many Strasbourgeois used to pop over to Germany to send their parcels because it’s much cheaper.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 8:17 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

I recently used this company to send from Belgium to the UK. I have no commercial connection with them.

https://www.parcelhero.com/

However I had problems with the customs regulations, not their fault though. Long story!

I got a good price.... In fact a major courier came to my home for up the parcel, and the cost on their direct site was more expensive. He said a customs document was missing so left. The parcel company said this is transmitted electronically so the driver was in error.

Maybe worth a go?

In my case I cancelled the pickup for the hassles below. (I paid a 6€ admin charge for cancelling)

Jon
PS I reported the problems on another thread. If you are interested here are the posts, to save bouncing back and forth :-

[QUOTE=Jon-Bxl I thought I'd share with you a cautionary tale! Last year I bought a radio from the UK and had it delivered to Belgium. Of course we were in the Brexit transition period and and there were no duties involved. The radio has a problem and I need to get it fixed under guarantee that can only be done by sending it back to the UK factory. No problems with the manufacturer they are happy to fix + return it. There are no authorised repair centres in Belgium.

You'd think it would be easy to do that but with the new customs regulations it is a real problem. I contacted the UK customs service and to cut a long story short this is not easy. Even though it's not being imported permanently into the UK and just being fixed and sent back to me, where Ive had it from the start. The value is less than £300.

However they say it is still an import and various forms and procedures have to happen. Including a potential wait for an application for paperwork to come back, which could take at least 4 weeks. Do that then this can be attached to the parcel to be examined by the customs.

​​​​​​Then there is a problem, of it coming back through Belgian customs!!

The result is I'm not sending it - it's just too much hassle and potential cost.

I figured out a way to fix it myself.. but now I think buying from the UK (even if you've paid the duty) is a problem if you ever need guarantee work.

So be aware....

Jon[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl;
Of course you know these problems in Gib. I'm in the learning phase...

Ive bought stuff this year internationally from laptops to Bluetooth earphones to...... Soft close toilet seats! The ebay global shipping programme works well - one knows up front what the cost is going to be. (Even though I sometimes question the amounts, I suspect some profit is being taken here). So I only buy from their suppliers if they participate in this. It is a smooth process, delivered at home - all sorted no surprises (Its something Ive learned - so is a similar requirement for me for other companies like e.g Amazon. Get costs and paperwork sorted up front - if the supplier doesn't do it, avoid them IMO )

I often buy from the UK as the price is often cheaper than 'the continent' even with the delivery charges. (I dont know why). Lately Ive bought stuff from the UK and still got a better price, even with delivery plus duty charges.

However anything technical where I want guarantee support, means that I will check if there is a non-UK and in-EU service centre that honours the international guarantee. The second learning this year. Its not worth the hassle IMO without these 2 requirements covered. Im sure there's more in 'the woodwork' to discover.

Just sharing these experiences...if anyone has had similar experiences and have tips, please let us know.

Jon
​​​​​​

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Apr 5th 2021 at 8:54 am.