Chateau rental

Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chateau rental

Not sure if this should be in the Rendez-vous, if so feel free to move it....

I usually post in the Australia forum as we're heading out there one of these days. Before then though, my hubby is 50 next May and we are planning a big celebration for friends and family. What we would like to do is book a country house in the UK or a chateau in France for a weekend, taking over the whole place and self-catering, except for a posh meal on the Saturday night to be provided by local caterers.

We've found a number of places that might have suited, mostly in the West Country, but most of these are already booked for that weekend and the others are mostly extortionately expensive (what recession, ho-ho). So we've extended our search to France, preferably somewhere near the Channel ports though I suppose we could fly in if there's an airport nearby served by one of the cheap carriers.

There seem to be loads and loads of chateaux for rent, but very few are big enough as we will probably need 20 double rooms and space for meals for 40 adults. We really thought we'd hit the jackpot with this place - http://www.chateaulemontepinguet.co.uk/ - but they've just taken a booking for that weekend. I could have cried.

Does anyone know of anywhere similar or indeed any useful French websites where you can filter on the basis of size?

TIA.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chateau rental

Originally Posted by louie
Not sure if this should be in the Rendez-vous, if so feel free to move it....

I usually post in the Australia forum as we're heading out there one of these days. Before then though, my hubby is 50 next May and we are planning a big celebration for friends and family. What we would like to do is book a country house in the UK or a chateau in France for a weekend, taking over the whole place and self-catering, except for a posh meal on the Saturday night to be provided by local caterers.

We've found a number of places that might have suited, mostly in the West Country, but most of these are already booked for that weekend and the others are mostly extortionately expensive (what recession, ho-ho). So we've extended our search to France, preferably somewhere near the Channel ports though I suppose we could fly in if there's an airport nearby served by one of the cheap carriers.

There seem to be loads and loads of chateaux for rent, but very few are big enough as we will probably need 20 double rooms and space for meals for 40 adults. We really thought we'd hit the jackpot with this place - http://www.chateaulemontepinguet.co.uk/ - but they've just taken a booking for that weekend. I could have cried.

Does anyone know of anywhere similar or indeed any useful French websites where you can filter on the basis of size?

TIA.

We had our Silver wedding anniversary here a few years ago. The food was good, lovely setting and close to Cherbourg/Caen/Le Havre for ferries.
http://www.hotels-europe.com/france/...quineville.htm

not sure if it's suitable, but another place that is fantastic is Mont St Michel. The hotel there is Mere Poulard, ferries again to Cherbourg, Caen or St Malo would get you there

http://www.mere-poulard.fr/Hotel.aspx

We also spent our 50th birthday's in a chateau (OH and I have birthdays just a few days apart). We went further inland though, but used this website to book ours

http://www.chateauxhotels.co.uk/
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chateau rental

Thanks, that's very helpful