Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:09 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing UK Driving licence for French one

Originally Posted by Kontiki
Can I take a little issue regarding this matter, you realise I am sure that this is breaking the law and is not just a matter of naughty person there are severe penaltys and I am sure that someone can state what they are.

To apply for a licence renewal even photo must be resident in the UK and the address you gave is not your place of residence.

Yes we all know it's possible to get away with these things and if you did all well and good and it is not really hurting anybody I suppose, but I am not sure it's a recommendation.

Do you think though it's better to have a driving licence that shows an address that you can never be contacted on? That part of it always seems crazy to me. So I changed the address on my licence last year because it had my last place of residence in the UK on it, dating back 6 years!

When is needs renewing, I will do the same because I have a UK home also

Frankly I believe it is a matter of personal choice if you keep your UK licence or not when you first move out of the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:31 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

You can take what you wish, Someone at DVLA advised me to do it this way until one of the policy makers in EU Central simplifies it for everyone.

Can I take a little issue regarding this matter, you realise I am sure that this is breaking the law and is not just a matter of naughty person there are severe penaltys and I am sure that someone can state what they are.

To apply for a licence renewal even photo must be resident in the UK and the address you gave is not your place of residence.

Yes we all know it's possible to get away with these things and if you did all well and good and it is not really hurting anybody I suppose, but I am not sure it's a recommendation.

Is This New
Yesterday my son had to make an application for a licence in the prefecture because he did not want to make a false declaration to the UK. All went well and a simple process until the last bit when the lady said do you wish to keep all your categories, ans, yes of course! ok well here's a medical form and a doctor for you to visit, fill the form out we make all the arrangements for you and cost another 33€. ha ha .

But gets to keep his categories you know to tow a trailer and things like that. They were very helpful and even let us stay after the four o'clock limit to finish and that's a first for me anywhere in France.

I feel the thing we should remember I if we are to live in France we need to forget about all the UK paper work and get on with the French paper work no matter how difficult it may seem. You never know but it may be an advantage to show UK police a French licence they may just let you off for a change.

My understanding if you are a resident in France, you may use your UK licence all the time it is valid, if in this period there is a renewal needed then you must by law apply for a French Licence, this also apply's if you gain any points or break the law regarding your licence.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:33 am
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Do you think though it's better to have a driving licence that shows an address that you can never be contacted on? That part of it always seems crazy to me. So I changed the address on my licence last year because it had my last place of residence in the UK on it, dating back 6 years!

Frankly I believe it is a matter of personal choice if you keep your UK licence or not when you first move out of the UK.
The problem is that you are obliged to give your country/place of residence and as I understand it you are not able to have duel place of residence. So you are either a French resident or a UK resident, you can of course live in both places, but which one is your place of residence and that is the important point.

If you are breaking the law because you want to then that's fine but I am not sure that giving advice on the forum should include breaking the law that holds harsh penalty's.

It's not a matter of personal choice to keep a UK licence if you are going to obey the law. But if you want to break the law then that is personal, but I don't think the forum should recommend it, after all we are looking for information for doing the correct thing. If one is not interested in doing that then there is no point in searching out information, just do what you want to do.

Unfortunately I am unable to find the relevant penalty's for making a false declaration for a driving license renewal.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:40 am
Robert

Ka Ora
You can take what you wish, Someone at DVLA advised me to do it this way until one of the policy makers in EU Central simplifies it for everyone.

Yes but are you sure that they wanted you tell the world about it? or was it someone just being kind.

I am not sure what you mean by simplify the process, surely it is simple if you reside in France and you need to renew your licence you just change over to the French licence via the sous prefecture. What is the point of holding on to your UK licence ?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:47 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that you are obliged to give your country/place of residence and as I understand it you are not able to have duel place of residence. So you are either a French resident or a UK resident, you can of course live in both places, but which one is your place of residence and that is the important point.

If you are breaking the law because you want to then that's fine but I am not sure that giving advice on the forum should include breaking the law that holds harsh penalty's.

It's not a matter of personal choice to keep a UK licence if you are going to obey the law. But if you want to break the law then that is personal, but I don't think the forum should recommend it, after all we are looking for information for doing the correct thing. If one is not interested in doing that then there is no point in searching out information, just do what you want to do.

Unfortunately I am unable to find the relevant penalty's for making a false declaration for a driving license renewal.
I'm not giving advice, I'm stating my position
It IS your choice, because depending on your licence date you are quite within your rights to keep the UK licence legally for up to 10 years. It's a reciprocal agreement. I simply changed the address on the licence so that should I be caught for speeding, or the DVLA need to speak to me, they would be able to via a correct address, other than writing to one I left 6 years ago

The DVLA are actually giving advice as to use a UK address you can be contacted on .... thats a bit ironic isnt it You cant re register a car in the UK that has been on foreign places unless you are a UK resident, but the DVLA have done it with full knowledge

You are also not allowed to renew your passport in the UK supposedly, although many people do

You are not allowed to open a bank account in the UK unless you are a UK residernt normally, although many do .. and many banks allow you to (I know, thats not really a legal thing)

Funny old world aint it
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:01 am
Robert

I'm not giving advice, I'm stating my position
It IS your choice, because depending on your licence date you are quite within your rights to keep the UK licence legally for up to 10 years. It's a reciprocal agreement. I simply changed the address on the licence so that should I be caught for speeding, or the DVLA need to speak to me, they would be able to via a correct address, other than writing to one I left 6 years ago

The DVLA are actually giving advice as to use a UK address you can be contacted on .... thats a bit ironic isnt it You cant re register a car in the UK that has been on foreign places unless you are a UK resident, but the DVLA have done it with full knowledge

You are also not allowed to renew your passport in the UK supposedly, although many people do

You are not allowed to open a bank account in the UK unless you are a UK residernt normally, although many do .. and many banks allow you to (I know, thats not really a legal thing)

Funny old world aint it
I am not in disagreement with you at all and of course it is a personal choice to do things correctly or illegal.

You are not I think correct in what you say about the 10 year bit. My reading is that you are as I said before allowed to keep your UK licence even though the address is defunked (stupid I realise) but if in the period that you live as a resident of France your licence needs to be renewed either because it has run our or you need to have a new photo, the law is clear you must change to a French licence.

If you don't change you should also have a international licence I beleive, but of course many don't.

I read that you prefer to keep your licence for personal reasons and that is fine, as I say I don't see the harm, but when it comes to people advocating on a forum that breaking the law is ok and nobody cares. This is the important point. I am sure that if you needed some information that was important you don't want people saying don't worry just break the law and all will be ok.

I just like to know the facts and like yourself make my own mind up what is the best way to go, but never should we really recommend breaking the law on the forum.

Passport of course this is all about to change and is a bit of a rip off because the consulate send it to the UK anyway, mind you on that one I believe there is a prison term for false declaration on that score.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:26 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Ka Ora and Mitzyboy - there is a lot of inconsistency when it comes to licences and some unfairness, given your comment Kontiki. I have not yet needed to use our UK address for application; I also failed (by being dim) to export my RHD, but no issues registering it (bar the costs). I have alsdo been fined (once) for speeding; paid quickly and heard no more. I have just discovered when changing my French insurer that when we moved house in France - staying in 85 - we should have applied to the Prefecture for a new number plate to coincide with the new address (can't quite see why one needs to do this, other than notify a change of address); cost via our Mairee (who send it off for you) €2,50. But will have to pay €25 for new plates. The unfairness, if I read Kontiki's post correctly, is applying for a French licence, but having to get a doctor's certificate to qualify the 7.5 tonne lorry approval I have in UK and/or to use a trailer. This is where the EU needs to be more consistent.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:28 am
Senior Moment

I am not in disagreement with you at all and of course it is a personal choice to do things correctly or illegal.

You are not I think correct in what you say about the 10 year bit. My reading is that you are as I said before allowed to keep your UK licence even though the address is defunked (stupid I realise) but if in the period that you live as a resident of France your licence needs to be renewed either because it has run our or you need to have a new photo, the law is clear you must change to a French licence.

If you don't change you should also have a international licence I beleive, but of course many don't.

I read that you prefer to keep your licence for personal reasons and that is fine, as I say I don't see the harm, but when it comes to people advocating on a forum that breaking the law is ok and nobody cares. This is the important point. I am sure that if you needed some information that was important you don't want people saying don't worry just break the law and all will be ok.

I just like to know the facts and like yourself make my own mind up what is the best way to go, but never should we really recommend breaking the law on the forum.

Passport of course this is all about to change and is a bit of a rip off because the consulate send it to the UK anyway, mind you on that one I believe there is a prison term for false declaration on that score.
I am completely correct in what I say about the 10 year bit. Photo licences expire every 10 years and you are allowed to keep it until then under reciprocal licence agreements. I did state, "depending on your licence date"

An International licence? Do you mean the EU licence that is often talked about? It doesnt exist. As for an International licence, no that is not required according to DVLA to back up a valid EU photo licence

I have not advocated that breaking the law is OK and I wish you would stop inferring that I have. I havent said, dont worry just break the law either.

I'm afraid many years of expat life has taught me that there is always what should happen, and what DOES happen. I'm not saying it's right, but that is the reality of the situation in many things.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:53 am
Robert

There is one other point my licence will need to be renewed 2015 and under normal circumstances in the UK I think one has to have a medical is it the same in France for those over the age of 70 ?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:19 pm
Senior Moment

There is one other point my licence will need to be renewed 2015 and under normal circumstances in the UK I think one has to have a medical is it the same in France for those over the age of 70 ?
Dunno, thats a while away for me. Certainly my father didnt need one and he was driving through to his eighties. The licence (I think) was renewable more regularly though
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:19 pm
Robert

Dunno, thats a while away for me. Certainly my father didnt need one and he was driving through to his eighties. The licence (I think) was renewable more regularly though
Thanks hope not too regular as the old medicals come expensive today and I have just passed the threshold for CMU Comp so have to go back to paying again.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The state of play in regard to EU driving licences is a complete and utter mess. One of the principal reasons for the introduction of a limited lifetime community licence, of which the UK's photocard is an example, is to establish a degree of control by means of which they can eventually be harmonised but it isn't going to happen any time in the near future.

One of the biggest logistical issues to overcome is the massive diaparity in penalty systems and you only have to look at UK and France to see the scale of the problem.

In UK even the most minor offence will usually get you 3 points which stay on your licence for 3 years, get 4 or them in that time, or accumulate a total of 12 by other means, and you're out.

In France on the other hand you start off with 12 points and a minor offence will lose you a mere one point which you get back after 12 months - if you don't offend again in the meantime.

This is the latest official info I have on the topic.

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/energy_trans...licence_en.pdf

Regarding and addresses on UK licences, DVLA say that you may, if you wish, write your UK contact address on the paper counterpart.

In the UK when reaching age 70 no medical is required unless you want to renew C1 and D1 entitlements, otherwise you simply make a declaration regarding your health. It's all on the DVLA website.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022086
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:16 pm
Robert

im er

Crossed wire I meant in France as the date I have to renew I will of course have to change over to French licence, but I may in fact do it before. An interesting point is if you remember my son had an accident on the Auto route, not his fault but the Gendarmerie told him that he now had to change to a French licence. This may have been just an over overenthusiastic Gendarme not being fully aware of the regs or something we don't know about.

Yes would need to keep C1 and D1. Not sure it is a problem with the points because each country has got to keep their own identity in regards to legislation and as long as we know what the points are in each place we visit , that should be ok. But I am sure that things could be improved upon.

I hope that my son is entitled to keep the categories as this will save problems if the need should arise to drive say a transit and a trailer.

This link here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...untries.5B2.5D As we have been advised we are in fact going to get a new style licence so the date of 2013 fro the change has already started.

Last edited by Kontiki; Nov 23rd 2011 at 4:40 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 9:15 am
Robert

im er

Crossed wire I meant in France as the date I have to renew I will of course have to change over to French licence, but I may in fact do it before. An interesting point is if you remember my son had an accident on the Auto route, not his fault but the Gendarmerie told him that he now had to change to a French licence. This may have been just an over overenthusiastic Gendarme not being fully aware of the regs or something we don't know about.

Yes would need to keep C1 and D1. Not sure it is a problem with the points because each country has got to keep their own identity in regards to legislation and as long as we know what the points are in each place we visit , that should be ok. But I am sure that things could be improved upon.

I hope that my son is entitled to keep the categories as this will save problems if the need should arise to drive say a transit and a trailer.

This link here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...untries.5B2.5D As we have been advised we are in fact going to get a new style licence so the date of 2013 fro the change has already started.
It would seem that once you have gained a normal driving licence it does not expire, unless you have an accident then things start to happen. However with the higher licence C etc, which is need to heavy trailers above 750kgs then one has to have a medical every five years if under 60. Over this age every two years. Every year after 76.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:29 am
Senior Moment

It would seem that once you have gained a normal driving licence it does not expire, unless you have an accident then things start to happen. However with the higher licence C etc, which is need to heavy trailers above 750kgs then one has to have a medical every five years if under 60. Over this age every two years. Every year after 76.
You have to take a minor medical in Spain all through your life. It validates your licence, Spanish OR UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.