Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Change of number plate

Change of number plate

Old Jan 28th 2020, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of number plate

It's making my head spin now but are you saying that you think the person whose name is on the log book may be dead???
Crikey. I know DVLA works in mysterious ways, laxer than a lax thing about some things and keener than mustard on others, but do they let you buy a car from a dead person?
Old Jan 28th 2020, 12:25 pm
Robert

Kontiki is on a distinguished road

We are not positive that the original exporter of the vehicle has passed on but we found a picture of him several years ago and he looks pretty elderly. We did inform the DVLA of the situation.
My understanding is that if you wish to return to the UK with a registered vehicle in the country you reside then there are no problems regarding mot or tax and the matter becomes un complicated.

Casa. I find that good second hand vehicles in France are very expensive and of course if we had the funds that would be the better option. As we have no special need to have a right hand drive, but the vehicle had little millage and was in good condition. You have to know a little about the type of engine that this model has. The 1.9 has weak valve seats and after about 160000 you can expect problems which is why so many of the French get rid of these vehicles when this mileage is coming up. In a garage the repairs are expensive.

Its not that they allow a person to buy off a dead person, but off course they do allow people to have cars from a dead person if registered in the UK, but in this case the first owner most likly had no intentions to go back to the UK.

Last edited by Kontiki; Jan 28th 2020 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 12:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I think the only way around this is to confirm whether the DVLA will allow you to change the registered keeper on the V5C without reimporting the car or have the export marker removed so you can put the V5C in your name before exporting it again properly.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 12:53 pm
Robert

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I think the only way around this is to confirm whether the DVLA will allow you to change the registered keeper on the V5C without re importing the car or have the export marker removed so you can put the V5C in your name before exporting it again properly.
They say that I have to re import the vehicle and then register it in my name name.But would they then say that I had to prove that the exporter (in the case the first owner) sold it to the person I purchased it from. God what a minefield. I must say the DVLA do not seem keen to offer any advise.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

The other good news of course is that you cannot register a car in the UK unless you have proof of address in the UK eg utility bill council tax etc so my previous advice still applies
Old Jan 28th 2020, 4:52 pm
Robert

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
The other good news of course is that you cannot register a car in the UK unless you have proof of address in the UK eg utility bill council tax etc so my previous advice still applies
A point that DVLA failed to mention, but as I have said I feel they not giving any advise, or being overlay helpful.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, DVLA have a system in place and if people would just follow the system, it would all run smooth. They can advise you on how their system works, which it sounds like they are doing. But it's the same with any system really, if people go outside the rules they are likely to get themselves into a situation that the system has no provision for dealing with and find themselves in a mess with no obvious way out.
If in fact there is no legal solution, on account of this vehicle being in an irregular situation (albeit through no fault of yours), I'm not sure you can expect DVLA to suggest an illegal solution.
Reminds me of the old saying, If you want to get There - don't start from Here.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jan 28th 2020 at 5:06 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:40 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

The DVLA has told you that you cannot obtain the paperwork for it to officially import it. Give up trying to fight them.
Cars are very responsibly priced in France especially after spending money on a car which cannot be used. If this vehicle has been standing for the two years in was illegally in France expect trouble when you start reusing it.
All cars wear out including English registered ones.

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; Jan 28th 2020 at 5:45 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
If this vehicle has been standing for the two years in was illegally in France
I very much doubt that was the case.
Why would you leave a car standing for two years, when you can exceed speed limits etc to your heart's content, safe in the knowledge that you'll never get a speeding fine

Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The DVLA has told you ....
Experience has taught me, both from my career inside organizations, as well as a customer/ user of their services, that the low-level customer facing employees, whether of government departments or large corporations, ususally have only a general understanding of the rules, the ones that apply in most situations, and that you need to find your way to an expert within the organization who can give a definitive answer to your situation. Of course the answer may be a categorical "no!".
Old Jan 28th 2020, 7:15 pm
Robert

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Why would you leave a car standing for two years, when you can exceed speed limits etc to your heart's content, safe in the knowledge that you'll never get a speeding fine
I dont think this was the situation as the second owner was going to use it in France for Business use but suffered heart problems, he did try to go back to the UK as he gave us a letter to that effect.

Your points are I am sure correct with many that come over to Europe.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 8:11 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
If that is the case then there is even less of a reason to try and register the car in the OPs name. The fines are outstanding. When the vehicle resurfaces officially Someone will want those fines repaid. I did write about undertaking an HPI check previously.
There are just too may issues to overcome.
Even if the DVLA issue paperwork then it will not be in the OPs name. They cannot register the car without a UK address. If so the French system could well be a hurdle that will be insurmountable . So say everything is good with the French there will be importation taxes to be paid for. Maybe work to pass the road worthiness test. Certainly things like changing lights etc Maybe rust repairs. All making the car even more expensive.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 8:20 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

If that is the case then there is even less of a reason to try and register the car in the OPs name. The fines are outstanding. When the vehicle resurfaces officially Someone will want those fines repaid. I did write about undertaking an HPI check previously.
Even if the DVLA issue paperwork then it will not be in the OPs name. They cannot register the car without a UK address. If so the French system could well be a hurdle that will be insurmountable . So say everything is good with the French there will be importation taxes to be paid for. Maybe work to pass the road worthiness test. Certainly things like changing lights etc Maybe rust repairs. All making the car even more expensive.

After the end of January UK cars without TAX and MOT's are going be a joy for the Gendarmes what a cash cow in fines.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 9:47 am
Robert

The sad thing is that my son has to repay the money he borrowed.
The Van has a full control Technic is fully insured.
All we are trying to do is make the vehicle legal for on the road usage, which seems evermore unlikely.
I shall look up the vin number on carfax, which I believe is free.