Reload this Page >

CGT and Solidarity Tax

CGT and Solidarity Tax

Old Oct 11th 2020, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Greener56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CGT and Solidarity Tax

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Succession tax is calculated on each separate inheritance..
So when the first partner dies, each of their heirs may be liable to pay succession tax on what they inherit from that person.
Ditto when the second partner dies.
Ok thank you for that. Obviously something else to check out when sorting other stuff out. I’m sure the never ending payment of taxes will come to an end at some point 🙄
Old Oct 12th 2020, 7:05 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greener56
Hi, sorry for any confusion with my example. Basically we are married and my husband has children from first marriage and I do not. Our current Wills states whoever dies first then the remaining spouse gets everything. Then when that spouse dies the house and anything else is split between his children and some of my relatives with his children getting a bigger share. Therefore we now know we can draw up something with the Notaire that basically states that when one of us dies the wishes in the UK Will are you be carried out.
I was in the same situation, but had two children with my (French) OH. On the Notaire's advice, he organised his Succession in advance, so that each of his children would inherit the same value, with the result that we two had usufruct on all his property which his children owned before he actually died. I myself have usufruct on the property owned by my two children, but not on that owned by his own children. He did it mainly by gifting over the years, but the Notaire will advise on your situation.
In your case, your step-children would have to pay 60% of the value of what you bequeath them, since they are unrelated to you, and your own relatives would have to pay less, depending on your relationship.
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F14198
indicates the allowances (abattements) and tax (droits) to be paid for each level of relationship. As said, French Taxe de Succession must be paid on all French property, whoever inherits, wherever....
HTH
P.S. And no, the payment of taxes will never end, unless you don't own property and your income is below the threshold!

Last edited by dmu; Oct 12th 2020 at 7:08 am.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
I was in the same situation, but had two children with my (French) OH. On the Notaire's advice, he organised his Succession in advance, so that each of his children would inherit the same value, with the result that we two had usufruct on all his property which his children owned before he actually died. I myself have usufruct on the property owned by my two children, but not on that owned by his own children. He did it mainly by gifting over the years, but the Notaire will advise on your situation.
In your case, your step-children would have to pay 60% of the value of what you bequeath them, since they are unrelated to you, and your own relatives would have to pay less, depending on your relationship.
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F14198
indicates the allowances (abattements) and tax (droits) to be paid for each level of relationship. As said, French Taxe de Succession must be paid on all French property, whoever inherits, wherever....
HTH
P.S. And no, the payment of taxes will never end, unless you don't own property and your income is below the threshold!
Oh thank you for that insight into what fun we’ll have getting the Will carry on sorted. What a nightmare. We’re going to be going as retirees so it will be interesting to see what the threshold is. Also OH will have an S1 through an exportable benefit so we’ve already realised that’s worth its weight in gold with regards to not having to pay certain taxes. Thank god!
Old Oct 12th 2020, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thank you for that insight into what fun we’ll have getting the Will carry on sorted.
All you need to do is explain your situation to a notaire, and tell him what you want to achieve.

I think you are worrying too much. Yes France's rules and regs are different from the UK and yes they can be quite complex, but you're not expected to know them all chapter and verse. What's important is that you are aware of all the areas that you will need to address, you get the ball rolling by consulting the right people in good time, then you follow their advice. It sounds like you are doing this - notaire for inheritance issues, tax adviser such as Blevin Franks for tax issues, and hopefully you know the French websites to go to regarding residency issues. Don't turn the move into a nightmare by worrying about anything and everything - and I say that as a world-beating worrier!

it will be interesting to see what the threshold is.
Could be wrong but I thought dmu was referring to the income tax threshold. That's the same for everyone, it's published on the government website each year when the annual tax exercise starts, but it doesn't tend to change much year on year.

Old Oct 12th 2020, 11:35 am
Just Joined

All you need to do is explain your situation to a notaire, and tell him what you want to achieve.

I think you are worrying too much. Yes France's rules and regs are different from the UK and yes they can be quite complex, but you're not expected to know them all chapter and verse. What's important is that you are aware of all the areas that you will need to address, you get the ball rolling by consulting the right people in good time, then you follow their advice. It sounds like you are doing this - notaire for inheritance issues, tax adviser such as Blevin Franks for tax issues, and hopefully you know the French websites to go to regarding residency issues. Don't turn the move into a nightmare by worrying about anything and everything - and I say that as a world-beating worrier!

Could be wrong but I thought dmu was referring to the income tax threshold. That's the same for everyone, it's published on the government website each year when the annual tax exercise starts, but it doesn't tend to change much year on year.
Thank you! I keep saying this to my OH as he is a professional worrier 😂. What will be will be and we’re doing our research so can’t do much more.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 11:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, indeed I was. I had added the P.S. in reply to a comment by the OP, without specifying Taxe Foncière if one owns property and Income Tax thresholds.