Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

A cautionary tale about moving to France

A cautionary tale about moving to France

Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:58 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 2,685
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default A cautionary tale about moving to France

If you are thinking about moving to France, read this.
I know it is the Daily Mail but.....

France's other migrant problem - penniless and hungry BRITS: Their dreams of La Belle Vie turned to dust. Then they found the socialist French are far tougher than us - and won't pay benefits | Mail Online

Think carefully before you leap.
cyrian is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 11:18 am
  #2  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 24,279
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by cyrian View Post
Isn't this what we all warn people about on here, it's not confined to France, but to many other EU countries, and to the USA, Canada and Australia. People really need to do their homework before moving to ANY other country, and work out what will happen in a worst case scenario.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 11:27 am
  #3  
JWL
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 298
JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by cyrian View Post
The clue is in 'she made a spontaneous life-changing decision'...

Did I say clue. I meant stupidity. You don't just up and emigrate to a different country of which you know pretty much zilch 'spontaneously'.

Hang on, there is another clue in 'she bought a property online without even viewing it'.

I blame Reality TV and cell phones...
JWL is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 11:35 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 2,685
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by JWL View Post
The clue is in 'she made a spontaneous life-changing decision'...

Did I say clue. I meant stupidity. You don't just up and emigrate to a different country of which you know pretty much zilch 'spontaneously'.

Hang on, there is another clue in 'she bought a property online without even viewing it'.

I blame Reality TV and cell phones...
Plus the fact that they couldn't speak French, didn't understand the French jobs market or the bureaucracy etc. etc.
As Mikelincs says, sometimes we try to advise people of these potential problems (in our collective experience) without actually telling them that they are barking mad.
A move to another country can (and does) work but you need to have done your homework first and fully understand what you are letting yourself in for.
cyrian is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 11:37 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 331
Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

I rest my case.

These people did not stand a chance. Their destiny was written before they even packed their bags. When kids are involved it is terrible. Trouble is there are thousands of expats moving to France each year and most will suffer a similar fate. They are trying to live a life in France that does not exist and certainly can't be done.

Don't move to France unless you have a job with a 'French contract' or looking to retire (if you can afford) and really.....don't move to rural France. Its false economy.
Touraine is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 12:01 pm
  #6  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 24,279
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by touraine View Post
I rest my case.

These people did not stand a chance. Their destiny was written before they even packed their bags. When kids are involved it is terrible. Trouble is there are thousands of expats moving to France each year and most will suffer a similar fate. They are trying to live a life in France that does not exist and certainly can't be done.

Don't move to France unless you have a job with a 'French contract' or looking to retire (if you can afford) and really.....don't move to rural France. Its false economy.
We were told by a relocation agent we were given when we bought our house in Spain, about a family of 5, mother, father and 3 sons, all of whom were over 18. They bought a house in Spain, sold up in the UK and moved over, none of them knew Spanish, and they needed jobs to be able to survive as they brought over very little money, just enough to live on for aroun 4 weeks. The upshot was they were back in the UK, peniless, within 5 weeks, hoping to sell their Spanish house so they would have money in the UK. This was before the collapse of the job/housing market, i.e. pre 2008.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 12:15 pm
  #7  
JWL
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 298
JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by cyrian View Post
Plus the fact that they couldn't speak French, didn't understand the French jobs market or the bureaucracy etc. etc.
As Mikelincs says, sometimes we try to advise people of these potential problems (in our collective experience) without actually telling them that they are barking mad.
A move to another country can (and does) work but you need to have done your homework first and fully understand what you are letting yourself in for.
You're just nitpicking. English is the global language today. Everyone should speak it.
JWL is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 12:56 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 2,685
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by JWL View Post
You're just nitpicking. English is the global language today. Everyone should speak it.
Not in France
cyrian is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 12:59 pm
  #9  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,134
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by cyrian View Post
Not in France
+1
and please believe us!
dmu is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 1:09 pm
  #10  
Hostage Negotiator
 
InVinoVeritas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,173
InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by JWL View Post
You're just nitpicking. English is the global language today. Everyone should speak it.
Oh dear, I just can't resist responding to this.

A Brit who relocates to another country and can't speak the local language is at a MAJOR disadvantage. There's even no point arguing about English being the international language when you're surrounded by people who can, and will, speak a language you cannot understand.

Firstly, there is the issue of dual-pricing which exists in every foreign country. You have no hope getting local prices if you can't speak the linga franca. This is maybe why many Brits end up spending so much on their properties.

Secondly, there is the deliberate (occasionally it just might be unintentional) miscommunication where do not get what you expected, when you expected, at the price you expected).

Thirdly, there is the ignorance factor where you expect in all logic that things must work be somewhat similar to the good-old UK and boy is it a shock to find that sometimes there is no logic and often it isn't anything at all like the UK.

Fourthly, there is misdirection, on a massive scale by the French as to what constitutes a sensible economic strategy on anything in France - President Flanby being a particularly good example. Buying a cute 200 year-old cottage in the sticks falls firmly into this category.

Fifthly, there is the lack of informed knowledge as a result of not being able to follow pronouncements and reactions, both political and fiscal, in the the French media.

You are doing the right thing asking questions on this forum rather than doing a Place in the Sun but don't assume that you might know better than the collective experience of the members who share their experiences here.

My personal view is that anyone thinking of moving to France at the moment is clearly not following the plot of the play thus far.
InVinoVeritas is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 1:21 pm
  #11  
Quien no sabe
 
Chatter Static's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,882
Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

A daft question but has anyone here actually managed to buy a old French house with pre installed insulation? Normally you get tiles wood more wood bats rats hay bit of rubbish never seen insulation in a old house.

I really can't imagine why anyone buy a house on the internet without looking at it, when it's 7 hours by car or an hour and a bit from Gatwick "which they lived almost next door to" to Nantes.

This is a fine example of why the there are so many Brit own properties for sale here. It became very trendy to buy properties with your eyes wide shut.
Chatter Static is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 1:51 pm
  #12  
JWL
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 298
JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

I speak 4 languages. Read the lines, chaps, read the lines....
JWL is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 1:54 pm
  #13  
JWL
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 298
JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
Oh dear, I just can't resist responding to this.

A Brit who relocates to another country and can't speak the local language is at a MAJOR disadvantage. There's even no point arguing about English being the international language when you're surrounded by people who can, and will, speak a language you cannot understand.

Firstly, there is the issue of dual-pricing which exists in every foreign country. You have no hope getting local prices if you can't speak the linga franca. This is maybe why many Brits end up spending so much on their properties.

Secondly, there is the deliberate (occasionally it just might be unintentional) miscommunication where do not get what you expected, when you expected, at the price you expected).

Thirdly, there is the ignorance factor where you expect in all logic that things must work be somewhat similar to the good-old UK and boy is it a shock to find that sometimes there is no logic and often it isn't anything at all like the UK.

Fourthly, there is misdirection, on a massive scale by the French as to what constitutes a sensible economic strategy on anything in France - President Flanby being a particularly good example. Buying a cute 200 year-old cottage in the sticks falls firmly into this category.

Fifthly, there is the lack of informed knowledge as a result of not being able to follow pronouncements and reactions, both political and fiscal, in the the French media.

You are doing the right thing asking questions on this forum rather than doing a Place in the Sun but don't assume that you might know better than the collective experience of the members who share their experiences here.

My personal view is that anyone thinking of moving to France at the moment is clearly not following the plot of the play thus far.

Or...you could read my post where I do say I speak French..
JWL is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 1:57 pm
  #14  
Hostage Negotiator
 
InVinoVeritas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,173
InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by JWL View Post
I speak 4 languages. Read the lines, chaps, read the lines....
Sorry but the language comment was about your views and not about whether you speak French.

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Sep 11th 2014 at 1:59 pm.
InVinoVeritas is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2014, 2:03 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 2,685
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
Sorry but the language comment was not about you.
+1
I did not direct this thread at you.
There are other threads (present, past and future) where the person intending to relocate to France does not speak French.
If I had intended it for you I would have put it into your thread.
The article is current (today) and seemed appropriate.
You seem to have taken this personally, which was not my intention.
cyrian is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.