Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

A cautionary tale about moving to France

A cautionary tale about moving to France

Old Sep 11th 2014, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cautionary tale about moving to France

Originally Posted by JWL
You're just nitpicking. English is the global language today. Everyone should speak it.
@JWL
Regardless of whether you speak 4 or 40 languages, I love your sense of humour in the above comment, but where were the all-important 'tongue-in-cheek' smilies?

And to whoever may be interested, anyone who comes to France and insists on speaking just English will truly struggle, live in a French cultural wilderness, and indeed miss out on the very best of what France has to offer (or what Flanby has left of it).
Old Sep 11th 2014, 2:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
You're just nitpicking. English is the global language today. Everyone should speak it.
If you move to another country, you should be able to do the basics in that countries language, i.e. shopping, ordering in cafes etc. If you need to work in that country, then you will need some knowledge of the language. I moved to Spain knwing very little of the language, but I did use books and DVD's to learn quite a lot of Spanish. But I did meet English expats who had lived there for months ane spke only the most basic Spanish, Yes, No, Please and Thank you. They expected the shop assistants to speak English to them, and many of them did. In one shop, while I was getting served, an English couple came in wanting something. The assistant did her best to reply in English, but the man started to laugh at her attempts and was telling you didn't say it like that.. So I just turned to him and said he wasn't being fair, at least she had tried to use her English, but I hadn't heard him try to speak Spanish. The assistent thanked me, in Spanish, for helping.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:07 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
@JWL
Regardless of whether you speak 4 or 40 languages, I love your sense of humour in the above comment, but where were the all-important 'tongue-in-cheek' smilies?

And to whoever may be interested, anyone who comes to France and insists on speaking just English will truly struggle, live in a French cultural wilderness, and indeed miss out on the very best of what France has to offer (or what Flanby has left of it).

Yeah, exactly. I was going to do that, but thought surely nobody, NObody could fail to see my tongue firmly in my cheek. Speakers of other languages are hardly likely to be the world's biggest linguistic imperialists.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 10:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JWL
Yeah, exactly. I was going to do that, but thought surely nobody, NObody could fail to see my tongue firmly in my cheek. Speakers of other languages are hardly likely to be the world's biggest linguistic imperialists.
I certainly noticed your bulge.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 2:49 am
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I certainly noticed your bulge.
Well, I am something of a prominent citizen where I live.

Oh, hang on...

Old Sep 13th 2014, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly baffled as to why the Wail calls it France's problem. Ain't no skin off France's nose if Brits come here, spend all their money down to the last penny and go home skint.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 2:20 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Slightly baffled as to why the Wail calls it France's problem. Ain't no skin off France's nose if Brits come here, spend all their money down to the last penny and go home skint.
Well, quite. I guess that some stupid people everywhere base their decisions on junk TV and redtop newspapers.

They deserve what they get.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 7:28 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well, quite. I guess that some stupid people everywhere base their decisions on junk TV and redtop newspapers.

They deserve what they get.
It's not red tops that spread it, even the Sun; Mail, yes, Express too. My French is poor, I have gotten by. Now back in UK, but with home also in France. I am lucky with many French friends who have welcomed me and my SOH. I have been fortunate, getting involved, struggling at times, but working in our village to put out the annual vide grenier, party and fireworks. Or, where we lived earlier, getting the street ready for the fetes de voisins. And, inviting many French friends for a Christmas lunch. We feel blessed despite our limitations.
Novo, you need to get some sleep, up all night.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Novo, you need to get some sleep, up all night.
Perhaps he is in Canada

The reason for the post was not to promote the DM or others.
It was to point out the pitfalls of assuming that France is just England with croissants and that you need to have done your homework before you commit to such a life-changing decision.
The examples given are valid.
You can't assume that everyone speaks French.
You can't assume that you will have the same chance of employment as the French.
You can't assume that the State will come to your assistance as in England.
You cant just roll up and get healthcare.
Members are often advised on BE to bring 2 year's money with them to tide them through - wise advice.
Do your homework before you decide.

Last edited by cyrian; Sep 14th 2014 at 9:12 am.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Perhaps he is in Canada

The reason for the post was not to promote the DM or others.
It was to point out the pitfalls of assuming that France is just England with croissants and that you need to have done your homework before you commit to such a life-changing decision.
The examples given are valid.
You can't assume that everyone speaks French.
You can't assume that you will have the same chance of employment as the French.
You can't assume that the State will come to your assistance as in England.
You cant just roll up and get healthcare.
Members are often advised on BE to bring 2 year's money with them to tide them through - wise advice.
Do you homework before you decide.
It's hard to believe that folk can be so incredibly stupid & I just can't understand how anybody can get through £350000 in just two years. That is not bad luck, its bad management.

With that they could have found a small piece of land on the outskirts of a major town, had a new home built, fully insulated with all mod cons that save money/energy, and they would still have £100000 in the bank at the end of it to get by a good couple of years.
Instead they invest in a pile of old stones and get the house fitted out with english plug sockets..... Nope I have very little sympathy - no actually when I think about it, I have no sympathy at all....

Last edited by le plumber; Sep 14th 2014 at 8:45 am.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by le plumber

With that they could have found a small piece of land on the outskirts of a major town, had a new home built, fully insulated with all mod cons that save money/energy, and they would still have £100000 in the bank at the end of it to get by a good couple of years.
Like the French do you mean.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touraine
Like the French do you mean.
+1
Exactly
Old Sep 14th 2014, 9:51 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by le plumber
It's hard to believe that folk can be so incredibly stupid & I just can't understand how anybody can get through £350000 in just two years. That is not bad luck, its bad management.

Instead they invest in a pile of old stones and get the house fitted out with english plug sockets..... Nope I have very little sympathy - no actually when I think about it, I have no sympathy at all....
I really think the whole story has been slightly exaggerated 6k on heating oil must of meant they were getting their tank siphoned in the night or the boiler was F'ed.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 10:24 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

It's not impossible. I had a 400m2 stone bastide in Provence in good condition but with no insulation and I spent €4,000 on heating oil in 1999 (adjusted to today's oil prices and currency).

But I agree with le plumber that they really have no-one but themselves to blame. It actually makes me angry rather than unsympathetic. There was a time to do something crazy like that when it could have turned out rather better - but as we all keep saying - NOT HERE, NOT NOW!
Old Sep 14th 2014, 11:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Could a Mod put this thread in the Read Me section?
We could refer to it more easily when advising future potential expats.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.