British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Cat sitters (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/cat-sitters-929467/)

Tweedpipe Nov 30th 2019 6:51 pm

Re: Cat sitters

Far from missing the point, I thought that DMU's interpretation was bang on target and I too would have made similar comments given what you have told us so far.
I'm an animal lover too, and have often thought about looking after other's pets for short periods (say an afternoon or even a full day), but must confess have never done so to date.
We have always loved our pets dearly, but never loose sight of the fact they are domestic animals - not our children, which is why when we wish to get away, we have on rare occasions left them in professional kennels, after having spent considerable time beforehand scrutinizing the facilities. This is essential for complete peace of mind, and we've never been disappointed and are even now good friends with the French owner and his wife.
Reading between your lines, if you were a close neighbour, to be honest I wouldn't feel happy or totally comfortable pet-sitting for you. You give the impression of being very uncompromising, and should an unfortunate accident occur, I wouldn't particularly relish the consequences.
You certainly sound a 'genuine sort', so perhaps I've misread between some lines of your post, but I can't help wondering if others reading this feel the same way as myself.

KJMW Dec 1st 2019 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12771970)
Far from missing the point, I thought that DMU's interpretation was bang on target and I too would have made similar comments given what you have told us so far.
I'm an animal lover too, and have often thought about looking after other's pets for short periods (say an afternoon or even a full day), but must confess have never done so to date.
We have always loved our pets dearly, but never loose sight of the fact they are domestic animals - not our children, which is why when we wish to get away, we have on rare occasions left them in professional kennels, after having spent considerable time beforehand scrutinizing the facilities. This is essential for complete peace of mind, and we've never been disappointed and are even now good friends with the French owner and his wife.
Reading between your lines, if you were a close neighbour, to be honest I wouldn't feel happy or totally comfortable pet-sitting for you. You give the impression of being very uncompromising, and should an unfortunate accident occur, I wouldn't particularly relish the consequences.
You certainly sound a 'genuine sort', so perhaps I've misread between some lines of your post, but I can't help wondering if others reading this feel the same way as myself.

You are right on one point anyway. When it comes to animals I am uncompromising. You have, somewhat inadvertently I think, revealed something also of your character. Of course animals are not human and should not be treated as such but that doesn't, in my view, mean you treat them with any less of responsibility, care or, if need be, compassion. Animals have accidents, become sick and in the past it has happened that a cat has needed vet attention. On one occasion it was only the very quick action of the cat sitter that saved the cat's life. You have misread me. In itself that isn't a problem and should others feel the same way then that also isn't a problem. When people get in touch with me with a view to cat sit there are many exchanges before it comes to pass. When someone does cat sit I give them absolute responsibility regarding the welfare of the cats. I have to make sure they are suitable and would act to safeguard the welfare of the animal and are not here just 'for a holiday'! I would reiterate, despite your comment about 'not relishing' the consequences: I have made many friends as a result of people cat sitting some of whom did have to seek vet treatment. I can honestly say that as far as I'm aware no one has ever had any concerns that they would be blamed for anything befalling the cats. I would certainly be angry if something did befall the cats and nothing was done about it; I'm sure you would feel the same.

EuroTrash Dec 1st 2019 6:47 am

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12771703)
It is simply should someone want, what is in effect, a free holiday, then they are welcome to get in touch.

Originally Posted by KJMW (Post 12772136)
I have to make sure they are... not here just 'for a holiday'! .

I think you have spelled out there the inherent contradiction that posters have been feeling uneasy with..

KJMW Dec 1st 2019 6:49 am

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 12772159)
I think you have spelled out there the inherent contradiction that posters have been feeling uneasy with..

No contradiction: people come here to look after the cats, it's quite clear.

dmu Dec 1st 2019 7:36 am

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 12772159)

+1
Also the "long walks and sight-seeing" is somewhat unfeasible due to the time spent looking after the cats.
TBH (to be honest), from what I've read so far, I would be wary of looking after these independent yet sensitive pets who always need some one living in, and with at least one accident on record. ;)
I'll watch the development of this thread with interest....

KJMW Dec 1st 2019 7:55 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12772164)
+1
Also the "long walks and sight-seeing" is somewhat unfeasible due to the time spent looking after the cats.
TBH (to be honest), from what I've read so far, I would be wary of looking after these independent yet sensitive pets who always need some one living in, and with at least one accident on record. ;)
I'll watch the development of this thread with interest....

To be equally honest if you can't understand the simplicity of what I have been saying regarding cat care and also enjoying the Pays basque you need not be at all wary! I simply wouldn't have you here. That's what I meant in my posts when I said that numerous exchanges have to be made before I let anyone care for my animals, they have to show that they can live a balanced, normal life here whilst caring for the cats.