Cat problem

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Cat problem

Our cat is having an awful time with fleas, it's making her sick constantly. We brought over with us a supply of Frontline but it's not working. Do you think the French version would be different? are the fleas resilient to different things over here.
What products do you recommend?

thanks
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:18 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cat problem

Originally Posted by loy loy
Our cat is having an awful time with fleas, it's making her sick constantly. We brought over with us a supply of Frontline but it's not working. Do you think the French version would be different? are the fleas resilient to different things over here.
What products do you recommend?

thanks
There is another product mentioned before in This Thread Personally I found fighting fleas pointless and just banned the cat from the house.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
There is another product mentioned before in This Thread Personally I found fighting fleas pointless and just banned the cat from the house.
That product isn't suitable for cats
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:55 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

It may cost but take the cat to your vet and seek advice, there are alternatives. Though Frontline is popular in France and is available from the vet, there are other brands the vet may suggest. My vet sells Frontline, but recommends Advantix for our dogs.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:40 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
OOOps, just realised I was on that previous thread
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:22 pm
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

I lived in the Gers for nearly ten years, had cats and dogs going in and out of the house, had woods around us, cats semi-feral, sheep and pasture and I NEVER suffered from the flea problems I am seeing now. I was horrified to find our 3 month old kitten had a fact and head full of them (and the dogs scratching one after the other) so made my vet's day once again and said I want something that works.

He gave me Capstar tablets to try...

They work on the cat too!

Seriously they are wonderful. Drop one down your cat's throat, put Pussy outside and stand back. Within an hour all the fleas in ther various sizes come to the surface and then fall off. The cat went bonkers with itching and then came back inside, heaved a sigh of relief, purred, and went to sleep. (not permanently!!)

The box says one a day...we found it lasts about three or four days. I supplement with Frontline but may try to drop that.

Apparently according to the info inside, the tabs come in 11.4 mg for dogs and cats up to 11kg and then in 5.7 mg for dogs weighing more. Will be asking for the bigger doses for my three Border Collies when I see him on Thursday.

Capstar tabs by Novartis...14.90 euros for 6 tabs. x 11.4mg.

Fantastique!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, my wife has just come back from the vets with something. I'll let you know what it's called and how it goes in a couple of days. If it's no good then I'll try that Capstar
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Update.

I don't know what treatment my wife bought but it's not worked. The fleas are now eating one of our children!!!!!!
We have been to the vet, the cat has an allergic reaction to the fleas hence the vomiting and loss of fur. She's had a few jabs and needs to go back for more.
We also have a treatment for our daughters room but fear we might need to do the whole house. Apparantly fleas love the cracks in wooden floors.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:19 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Update.

I don't know what treatment my wife bought but it's not worked. The fleas are now eating one of our children!!!!!!
We have been to the vet, the cat has an allergic reaction to the fleas hence the vomiting and loss of fur. She's had a few jabs and needs to go back for more.
We also have a treatment for our daughters room but fear we might need to do the whole house. Apparantly fleas love the cracks in wooden floors.
You can buy fumigating bombs to rid the house of live fleas, I found also sprinkling lots of salt in to carpets very effective at killing young fleas as it causes them to dehydrate and die before laying eggs. But all the time you let the cat in to the house you will suffer in the summer. You will find they go in the winter
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:46 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Update.

Then go back and 'shout' at the vet. You have to get a solution and if you need to be strong voiced then so be it. Polite but strong!